What does your day hold?

Hopefully a few coyotes!

I've got a real problem. I have just over a full section of timberland, and we have been able to keep them in check by hunting "frequently enough" the past few years that we killed all we saw while hunting. But my cousin moved away this year and I did not hunt much at all, so they have really gained a foothold.

I went out yesterday morning and shot a doe, left her lying for bait, and will go back today to sit over her and see what comes. When they've eaten her (probably by tomorrow afternoon), I'll shoot another, leave her lying, and continue to watch. The plan is to continue to bait them this way (may throw in a rabbit or squirrel here and there to keep the bait pile stocked) until Feb 18 (the next full moon) when me and several buddies will go out and try to kill as many as we can. A dozen or more, I'm guessing, if we're patient, fast on the triggers, and smart enough.

Yes, I have a nuisance permit from the Warden :) And yes, we will hunt them at night, with AR 15s, lasers, and lights.....this isn't sport.....this is management. They are destroying the ecosystem. My permit allows me to poison them as well, but I do not want to affect a struggling bobcat population that I would like to encourage (my dumbass cousin shot 3 in one day 2 years ago (how we had 3 in one square mile, I'll never know), and this year I found the first set of tracks I've seen since that day).

It will be hard to watch the coyotes for the next 30 days and not pull the trigger, knowing they are still ravaging the land, and having to let a doe lay once a week or so (that goes against every fiber of my hunting, but I see no other way right now), but if we're going to kill the most we can, I'm going to have to overcome that instinct for the sake of the turkeys, the rabbits, the quail, the deer, the fox, the calves, everyone else, and the land.

The bobcats are badasses, and my allies in this fight. They can take care of themselves, and will probably take a coyote or two from the pile before I get to :)

Well since I'll be doing my 2010 taxes today, it feels like my day is holding me by the short hairs.

Daveman, hope you have plans for the next part of your life journey. Much success and happiness on the days ahead.

Forum List

Back