What does this quote mean to you?

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
~Voltaire

It is the most precious right we have. Especially for those of us addicted to message boards.

This is one of my favs:

"First they came for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Jew. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn’t speak up, because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me." Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984)

It means, "you're an idiot, and I'm all for letting you prove it."

You in that does not mean you EZ, but you know what I mean, Right? ;)

Immie

It means, "you're an idiot, and I'm all for letting you prove it."

You in that does not mean you EZ, but you know what I mean, Right? ;)

Immie

You mean to say you think I'm mean, but you don't mean it? :confused:

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
~Voltaire

your quote is only attributed to voltaire. as far as i know he never wrote it or said it.

that is voltaire:

"Non seulement il est bien cruel de persécuter dans cette courte vie ceux qui ne pensent pas comme nous, mais je ne sais s'il n'est pas bien hardi de prononcer leur damnation éternelle."

"Not only is it extremely cruel to persecute in this brief life those who do not think the way we do, but I do not know if it might be too presumptuous to declare their eternal damnation."

not quite as catchy and dramatic.

~Voltaire

your quote is only attributed to voltaire. as far as i know he never wrote it or said it.

that is voltaire:

"Non seulement il est bien cruel de persécuter dans cette courte vie ceux qui ne pensent pas comme nous, mais je ne sais s'il n'est pas bien hardi de prononcer leur damnation éternelle."

"Not only is it extremely cruel to persecute in this brief life those who do not think the way we do, but I do not know if it might be too presumptuous to declare their eternal damnation."

not quite as catchy and dramatic.

Well, you know us Americans and out short attention spans..........................

Forum List

Back