What does the GOP have to offer?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by IndependntLogic, May 21, 2012.

1. IndependntLogic

IndependntLogic Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    In a thread asking why anyone would vote Dem, when they have no plans etc... I responded with several items that obviously required planning and were subsequently carried out. I also included a couple things that are still in the planning phase.
    While i don't hold the Dems in high regard, I am quick to challenge post that lack substance or logic. One poster got rather hysterical, threw a bit of a fit at being challenged to cite specifics about what the GOP has accomplished / plans they have presented that are so vastly superior to those of the Dems, and why. He insisted I start a new thread because you know, direct answers and such, well gee.
    So okay, here we go. If anyone can provide something even more intellectually substantive than the usual "Because Dems suck!" or "Obama wants to entitle votes into...." and other such prattle, I would be genuinely interested in hearing it. I will not stoop to the petty insults and labeling so common here. I just haven't seen much from the GOP that would incite anyone not already Faithful to The Cause, to vote for them. So I welcome specifics about their plans and accomplishments. Cheers!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. MuadDib

MuadDib He's called The Stig

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    The greatest value of the two parties these days is that the Republicans save us from the Democrats and the Democrats save us from the Republicans.

3. RDD_1210

RDD_1210 Forms his own opinions

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,001
    Their big picture / high level concept of a more streamlined efficient government is one that I like. Unfortunately none of what they actually propose really lines up with an end result that will accomplish that. I wish they truly meant what they said and were serious about cleaning up wasteful government, instead of pretending like they do simply so they can cut aid for the poor while padding the pockets of the rich all under the false-pretense of "shrinking government".

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +819
    $9.75/hr.....no health-insurance.​

5. IndependntLogic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    What a great post! I see the same thing. they talk about shrinking both government and spending but they they propose seems to accomplish that. Instead, they offer to cut funding from programs that equate to 0.00001% of the budget but that garner termendous emotional response e.g. Planned Parenthood. Concurrently, they want more government - just more of it in the areas they prefer to have government intervene in the lives of private citizens i.e. social issues.

Not surprisingly, all the ConservaRepubs who failed miserably to cite a single redeemding attribute of the GOP, in the thread about Dems, have shied away from this one.

6. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,158
    Truth
    Good leadership
    Fiscal responsibility
    Personal responsibility
    Liberty
    More money in our pockets
    Sound defense policy.

Tough question.

7. blackhawk

blackhawk Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,079
    The truth is neither party offers much of anything just the same old talking points dressed up differently.

8. IndependntLogic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    You forgot The Ability to Leap Tall Buildings in a Single Bound!

So a lovely collection of fluffy adjectives. The Dems might say the exact same kinds of things with just as much conviction and it would be just as meaningless.

Got any specifics? Accomplishments? Legislation? Detailed plans?
    For example, what has the GOP actually done that has directly resulted in you having more money in your pockets?
    What IS their sound defense policy? I haven't seen much i'd call sound, in the way of defense from Republicans, since Bush (The dad, not the idiot). So what is this policy and what makes it sound?
    I mean, fluffy adjectives are special and all but this thread less about "The other side sucks and mine is special!" and more about discussing and citing specific actions, legislation and detailed proposals.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  9. DontBeStupid

DontBeStupid Look it up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +422
    I think the Paul Ryan budget gives us all a pretty good idea of what the GOP has in store for the country. Medicare that doesn't cover medical care and tax cuts for millionaires.

10. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    Currently, opposition to individual liberty, privacy rights, and equal access to the law. In addition, they support the same failed economic policies of tax cuts and government expansion that squandered a budget surplus inherited by the last republican administration.

The Nation is just beginning to heal and the economy to recover, it’s far too soon to return to the failed policies of the republican past.