What Does Social Justice Actually Mean?

For most Americans, it is a fair shot at the American dream

Americans do not want handouts. They want to be able to obtain good jobs that they can support their families on. They want to live without the fear of getting sick and losing everything they have. They want to be able to send their kids to college. They want to be able to work hard and be justly rewarded for that work

John Kennedy, speaking of the economy said.....A rising tide lifts all boats

Now, a rising tide only lifts the yachts

That is not social justice
If that' what Americans want why did the re-elect Obama, who promised handouts, vs Romney, who promised exactly what you are saying?

If that was Romneys message, he had a funny way of presenting it

Other than vague, trickle down promises of jobs and prosperity for all. Where were specific programs targeted at helping the middle class?

You're missing the point. As usual. Government helps create jobs simply by creating an atmosphere where that is possible. When that is done, people will create jobs on their own. They dont a gov't program to do that.
I realize the idea that people will do the right thing without being commanded by central authority is anathema to you. But there you have it.

In other societies, limited egos refuse to share, wishing instead to dominate others.[/quote]
Oh, it is pretty clear what you were getting at[/QUOTE]

It is perfectly clear, though apparently not to you. Could that description not be used about Nazi German or Stalinist Russia?

Use originality and give up the predetermined!

So, no one likes Christianity?

Christianity is not FORCED.... it is up to you to VOLUNTARILY follow the doctrine.. Christ is not sitting there directly taking from you, throwing you in jail if you do not... government is doing that

The previous post must have been missed. Earlier, someone suggested that Social Justice equated with Marxism. I simply pointed out a fact about Christianity and its history.

Social justice depends, as every other word or phrase, on what people choose for it to mean.

In some societies, people feel that citizens are more important than money, that health is more important than profits, that a good life for all is better than extremes where a tiny few reign over a large minority.

In other societies, limited egos refuse to share, wishing instead to dominate others.

In between are various mixes.

(I sure hope that pisses off the cat in the hat.)

It has nothing to do with people being 'more important than money'...

And 'refusal to share' is nothing more than a bullshit way of saying 'what is yours is ours' in liberal speak.. you have no right to the property of others, but each person has the right or freedom to give voluntarily as much as they wish to help others.... your idea of social justice is when you think others don't do enough for your agenda, they should be forced to do what you deem as enough

As usual, this individual has understood what was in his/her mind and not the original post.

Nothing more can be expected from someone whose head is hard as a diamond.
Perhaps you should do more to open your mind to a better understanding. Yours is simply ridged refusal to move off of your point, and to accomplish that, you degrade others.

It has nothing to do with people being 'more important than money'...

And 'refusal to share' is nothing more than a bullshit way of saying 'what is yours is ours' in liberal speak.. you have no right to the property of others, but each person has the right or freedom to give voluntarily as much as they wish to help others.... your idea of social justice is when you think others don't do enough for your agenda, they should be forced to do what you deem as enough

As usual, this individual has understood what was in his/her mind and not the original post.

Nothing more can be expected from someone whose head is hard as a diamond.
Perhaps you should do more to open your mind to a better understanding. Yours is simply ridged refusal to move off of your point, and to accomplish that, you degrade others.

The description is the poster's. If it degrades it is by his/her choice. As for being understood, the statement was not.

By the way, what was my intent?

If that' what Americans want why did the re-elect Obama, who promised handouts, vs Romney, who promised exactly what you are saying?

Other than vague, trickle down promises of jobs and prosperity for all. Where were specific programs targeted at helping the middle class?

You're missing the point. As usual. Government helps create jobs simply by creating an atmosphere where that is possible. When that is done, people will create jobs on their own. They dont a gov't program to do that.
I realize the idea that people will do the right thing without being commanded by central authority is anathema to you. But there you have it.

Absolutely correct

The GOP response to jobs was....We Don't Care

You got laid off.....WE DON'T CARE
Jobs are going overseas......WE DON'T CARE
You don't have healthcare......WE DON'T CARE
You just graduated and there are no jobs.......WE DON'T CARE

Raise taxes on the richest 2%..........WE CARE

No it doesn't

It means helping people who need help.

In the case of tax dollars. If the current tax structure and government assistance is allowing one group to prosper and another group to struggle, it is time to relook the priorities of the government
Helping those that can't help themselves is one thing

Taking money from some to give to people who are perfectly capable of helping themselves is quite another and is not justice in any sense of the word.

The wealthy are more than capable of helping themselves. Why do we give them government subsidies?

You tell me.

I don't support subsidies for anyone. But then you have to admit that a lot of people get deductions and tax credits that the so called rich don't get as well. Those would have to end too.

And if subsidies are the issue then work to end them.

Taking money from someone to give it to another person is not now and has never been justice because it technically is theft.

Absolutely correct

Your job situation is your responsibility....
Caring does not mean spending to give you a job...
Your insurance and your personal upkeep is your responsibility.. not someone else's and not the government's
Your place in the world and whether you are in demand is nobody's responsibility but your own

And you get to complain about what someone else is paying in taxation when everyone is paying federal income tax... until that point, even if the rich only pay 1% it is INFINITELY more than what ~47% of the adult populace are paying

In other societies, limited egos refuse to share, wishing instead to dominate others.
Oh, it is pretty clear what you were getting at

It is perfectly clear, though apparently not to you. Could that description not be used about Nazi German or Stalinist Russia?

Can be pointed right at your ilk that tries to force others to share in your redistribution schemes that fit your PERSONAL charity agenda

Use logic and give up the progressive chanting

My defintion; equal opportunity to ALL.

Take the shackles off the man and let him work for what he gets.

Oh, it is pretty clear what you were getting at

Can be pointed right at your ilk that tries to force others to share in your redistribution schemes that fit your PERSONAL charity agenda

Use logic and give up the progressive chanting

Further exhibition of total ignorance or refusal to accept the evident.

I am not a member of the Elks, by the way.

We are all aware of the disadvantages of being born into a poor, uneducated single parent family, but what is the prescription for addressing this widespread problem? One view is to provide educational and other opportunities to escape this environment and, hopefully, end this repetitive cycle. Unfortunately, this approach seems to have had limited success.

Another view, seemingly espoused in the President's Social Justice agenda, is to remove the trappings of poverty by subsidizing these families into a middle class standard of living. The obvious risk to this approach is that it removes incentives for self-improvement, both for the individuals directly involved and for other individuals who then see the relative value of their own efforts diminished.

Which is the better approach? At an individual and even societal level, it probably depends on one's personal philosophical beliefs. However, these approaches also involve divergent economic premises: The Individual Opportunity approach depends on an ever-expanding private sector job market, while the Social Justice approach depends on ever-increasing government revenues.

At this point, neither approach looks very promising. What is your prescription?

Quit looking for excuses not to do anything!

In the various fields of Engineering, quite-often you'll find all the things that don't work, during your efforts to solve whatever problem you're trying to solve....before you FINALLY find that one thing that makes the difference!!

That's why "conservatives" prefer the Status Quo. Everything, of any importance, has already been figured-out....and, they're makin' plenty of money KEEPING things that way!!

monty_python_6.jpg

Social justice depends, as every other word or phrase, on what people choose for it to mean.

In some societies, people feel that citizens are more important than money, that health is more important than profits, that a good life for all is better than extremes where a tiny few reign over a large minority.

In between are various mixes.

(I sure hope that pisses off the cat in the hat.)

In other words, it's a lot of bullshit, emotional, fuzzy-wuzzy, hokum rhetoric.

I already knew that.

It means "spreading the wealth", i.e. taking from hard working successful people and giving to worthless crap people so they'll continue to vote Democrat.

That's how you define social justice? Really?

I have to disagree.

“What do you call it when someone steals someone else’s money secretly? Theft. What do you call it when someone takes someone else’s money openly by force? Robbery. What do you call it when a politician takes someone else’s money in taxes and gives it to someone who is more likely to vote for him? Social Justice.”
– Dr. Thomas Sowell

It means "spreading the wealth", i.e. taking from hard working successful people and giving to worthless crap people so they'll continue to vote Democrat.

That's how you define social justice? Really?

I have to disagree.

Have you answered the question yet? How do YOU define social justice?

Warm, fuzzy words and phrases have an enormous advantage in politics. None has had such a long run of political success as “social justice.”

The idea cannot be refuted because it has no specific meaning. Fighting it would be like trying to punch the fog. No wonder “social justice” has been such a political success for more than a century – and counting.

While the term has no defined meaning, it has emotionally powerful connotations. There is a strong sense that it is simply not right – that it is unjust – that some people are so much better off than others.

- Dr. Thomas Sowell

In other words, "social justice" is like the word "fair": it has no real, objective meaning whatsoever.

I like this definition

social justice

The fair and proper administration of laws conforming to the natural law that all persons, irrespective of ethnic origin, gender, possessions, race, religion, etc., are to be treated equally and without prejudice.

And how long has it been since ANYONE has accepted such a limited definition for it?

Social Justice??

Depends on who you ask.

To a liberal it means that everyone is equal.

Doesn't matter if they work or don't They deserve whatever the providing party gets and those providing should be overjoyed to pick up their slack. Oh and their responsibilities are assumed by the providers as well. In effect the useless fucks get a free ride at the taxpayers expense and the providers of that free ride have no say in the matter.

To a Conservative it means you work hard for what you have and your life is your own responsibility.

Social Justice??

Depends on who you ask.

To a liberal it means that everyone is equal.

Doesn't matter if they work or don't They deserve whatever the providing party gets and those providing should be overjoyed to pick up their slack. Oh and their responsibilities are assumed by the providers as well. In effect the useless fucks get a free ride at the taxpayers expense and the providers of that free ride have no say in the matter.

To a Conservative it means you work hard for what you have and your life is your own responsibility.

I'm a liberal and that isn't remotely what I believe.

Absolutely correct

As usual you deflect to inanities.

It isn't that the GOP doesn't care. It is that the GOP realizes that yet another gov't "jobs' program only provides jobs to gov't bureaucrats, rather than good sustainable jobs that build the economy.

How many jobs programs has Obama announced in 4 years? How many actual jobs have been created?

Equality of outcome regardless of effort, redistribution of somebody else's wealth, etc., etc., etc.

It's basically about getting your mitts on that which somebody else has.

Forum List

Back