What does it mean to be socially liberal?

Dr.Drock

Aug 19, 2009
I'm a hardcore fiscal conservative, pretty much every government program I want done away with and budgets slashed across the board. That being said I'm often called a social liberal because of my views, maybe I am, but sometimes when I think it out it seems like maybe the majority who define the term "socially liberal" may be incorrect.

I want government out of all marriage, which essentially gives gays the same capabilities as it does straights. I want churches, insurance companies, banks etc to make their decisions on who they deem to be married and how they want their policies to reflect that.

I want abortion to be a states right entirely. If you must know I'm pro-choice with limitations, but if my state (Ohio) passed pro-life legislation I would view it as democracy at work. If I have a future daughter who's raped and doesn't want to go through the pregnancy than I'll move or if possible have the procedure done elsewhere in another state.

I don't want government involved in religion whatsoever. No tax breaks for any religion, as this indirectly causes higher taxes for civilians who may or may not follow the religion. I don't want them telling schools how to or not to teach about religion, that should be up to the school and the school should inform the parents so they can decide if that's where they want their child to attend.

So to me getting government out of these issues seems like a conservative virtue, what say you?

A socially liberal person would not believe the state should regulate who gives birth. There is no real difference between one government entity regulating abortion and another.

I'm a hardcore fiscal conservative, pretty much every government program I want done away with and budgets slashed across the board. That being said I'm often called a social liberal because of my views, maybe I am, but sometimes when I think it out it seems like maybe the majority who define the term "socially liberal" may be incorrect.

I want government out of all marriage, which essentially gives gays the same capabilities as it does straights. I want churches, insurance companies, banks etc to make their decisions on who they deem to be married and how they want their policies to reflect that.

I want abortion to be a states right entirely. If you must know I'm pro-choice with limitations, but if my state (Ohio) passed pro-life legislation I would view it as democracy at work. If I have a future daughter who's raped and doesn't want to go through the pregnancy than I'll move or if possible have the procedure done elsewhere in another state.

I don't want government involved in religion whatsoever. No tax breaks for any religion, as this indirectly causes higher taxes for civilians who may or may not follow the religion. I don't want them telling schools how to or not to teach about religion, that should be up to the school and the school should inform the parents so they can decide if that's where they want their child to attend.

So to me getting government out of these issues seems like a conservative virtue, what say you?

The major come from this (imo)
Social conservatives support states rights to do everything you listed.
Social liberals want it done at the federal level. Leaving no one a place to move to if they disagree.

The major come from this (imo)
Social conservatives support states rights to do everything you listed.
Social liberals want it done at the federal level. Leaving no one a place to move to if they disagree.
uh...no. A liberal believes no government entity should regulate any of the issues he brought up.

You, on the other hand, seem to think a state government has more rights over individuals than the federal government does...that makes you a social conservative.

It means, in theory, that you do not pass judgement on anything a person does so long as it is not physically harmful to another person who is out of the womb.

Gay sex.
Gay marriage.
Drug use of any kind.
Refusal to work.
Marry a horse.
Anyone can live anyplace without restriction.
Practice any religion anywhere (except Christianity).
All views are treated equally without question (except right wing views).
Guns are bad.
Guitars are good.
Bicycles have a right to any road anywhere.
Animals are equal to humans.
Gasoline is bad.
Air conditioning is bad.
Plastic bags are bad.
Paper bags are bad.
Coal is bad.

Being a social liberal pretty much means that you wanna sit around a tree, and hug other people all day.

For the textbook social liberal

Pro-choice, and doesnt beleive pro-life people even have a right to protest the point
Pro-gun control
Anti-death penalty
Pro gay marriage
In favor of public educaution (i.e. against home schooling and school vouchers)
In favor of some form of drug drecriminalization
Would vote yes for an ERA if it ever came up again
Usually in favor of lowering the voting age

If you then add in the traits of the fiscal liberal you also get:

Government funding for the above
Progressive taxation to fund the above

You also have some single issue items that can be added here and there:

Environmentalism
Animal Rights
Unionization
Liberal Immegration policies

and then add in some statist tendencies as well by:

Using government to coerce people into going along with some/all of the above.

I believe thats called having your cake and eating it too

Um, yeah, thats left wingism.

They want to be seen as tolerant, but they only tolerate their own views.
They want money and perks, but don't want to work for it.
They want total equality, but won't embrace what that would require.

It means, in theory, that you do not pass judgement on anything a person does so long as it is not physically harmful to another person who is out of the womb.

Gay sex.-no rational person would have a problem with this unless they're being raped or forced to watch it.
Gay marriage.-as stated no issue with this, doens't affect me in any way.
Drug use of any kind.-I'm against drug use, but not government regulating it unless it's used while driving.
Refusal to work.Have no issue with this, that's a choice, but as I stated in my OP I'm against almost all government programs including welfare/unemployment benefits.
Marry a horse.If a private industry is crazy enough to recognize some wacko doing this and it doesn't affect me so what, gross but not something gov't should waste time and money on.
Anyone can live anyplace without restriction.yes, yes of course.
Practice any religion anywhere (except Christianity).Any religion should be allowed to be practiced anywhere except by government officials specifically on government property.
All views are treated equally without question (except right wing views).Ah, playing the victim card here, have no idea what's motivating that. Sounds awfully sad and pathetic though.
Guns are bad.All guns should be legal imo, I have no issue with individuals owning tanks/jets/auto weapons etc.
Guitars are good.ok?
Bicycles have a right to any road anywhere.there should be minimum speed limits everywhere for safety's sake, should be enforced.
Animals are equal to humans.of course not
Gasoline is bad.of course not
Air conditioning is bad.of course not
Plastic bags are bad.of course not
Paper bags are bad.of course not
Coal is bad.of course not

Being a social liberal pretty much means that you wanna sit around a tree, and hug other people all day.

You started off ok, then sounded very silly as you went further.

A socially liberal person would not believe the state should regulate who gives birth. There is no real difference between one government entity regulating abortion and another.

Nor is there when one government entity or another regulates health care. But you folks seem ok with that.

You can't have it both ways.

Nor is there when one government entity or another regulates health care. But you folks seem ok with that.

Sure I can. Health care costs people in general by forcing them to pay higher costs to cover those with out insurance...in other words, it impacts everyone.

But this discussion isn't about health care.

Sure I can. Health care costs people in general by forcing them to pay higher costs to cover those with out insurance...in other words, it impacts everyone.

Infanticide speaks to who we are as a nation more so than who has health insurance and who does not.

Anyhoo.. I was responding to a post about abortion, so, it was on topic. My response was to the hypocrisy of at one moment wanting the government out of your health care decisions and then advocating the government involved in your health care decisions because of some "common good" argument.

Infanticide speaks to who we are as a nation more so than who has health insurance and who does not.
Obviously my point went right over your head...no biggie.

Does that include tax incentives for industries and / or corporations? If it's fair and simple taxes you seek, you may be a liberal.

That is a socially liberal statement. How do you feel about extending Social Security Spouse Benefits that you help pay for to same-sex couples?

I find this statement troubling. Not because of reliance on The People of any given state to 'do the right thing', liberals are all about states rights to decide, especially on social issues. The troubling part is the willingness to vote so fucking hypocritically. Do we really want a few of the states to become abortion mills for those fallen angels whose "daddy's" are rich enough to afford a bus ticket across the country?

How would you feel if The People of The Great State of Ohio passed legislation so pro-life that you'd be forbidden to take her?

How would you feel about a guy who voted in favor of keeping the county dry because it looked good at church and also because he lived only 7 miles from the county line?

This is a socially and fiscally liberal statement.

I say 'Conservative', by definition, means to maintain the status quo of unfair taxes and a market place requiring a lawyer and an account to play in and you may be experiencing liberal feelings. Don't worry, everyone has them and you're not 'weird'.

A SHORT HISTORY OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION by John B. Harrison said:
Liberals typically came from the middle class –the commercial and industrial bourgeoisie, the professionals, and the intellectuals. Their chief opponents were the vested interests of traditional society – the aristocracy, the clergy, and the military – seeking to retain their favored positions. The peasantry was still generally conservative, strongly influenced by the clergy and sometimes by the aristocracy, and not very active in politics.

Sure there is. How would you feel if the UN had the teeth to enforce a world-wide speed limit of 55 mph? How about world wide banking rules?

Last edited:
I believe thats called having your cake and eating it too

How so?

Just the tip of the iceberg as I see it could be. You want religious inst. to pay taxes, but then those taxes could be spent on lets say abortion, - which you are for as in states rights, so that the states that are for allowing abortion would be losing religious institutions?

Gay sex.
Gay marriage.
Drug use of any kind.
Refusal to work.
Marry a horse.
Anyone can live anyplace without restriction.
Practice any religion anywhere (except Christianity).
All views are treated equally without question (except right wing views).
Guns are bad.
Guitars are good.
Bicycles have a right to any road anywhere.
Animals are equal to humans.
Gasoline is bad.
Air conditioning is bad.
Plastic bags are bad.
Paper bags are bad.
Coal is bad.

This Average Liberal has very few Social Democratic leanings where I believe that 'government' is the answer and education (administered by the most local government able to afford the task) is the primary.

The reasons are obvious. Read a book, bucs90!

The Link at the Bottom of This Quote Box said:
Liberalism (from the Latin liberalis, "of freedom") [1] is the belief in the importance of liberty and equal rights.[2] Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but most liberals support such fundamental ideas as constitutions, liberal democracy, free and fair elections, human rights, capitalism, free trade, and the freedom of religion.

Forum List

Back