What does it mean to be an American?

G

Gabriella84

Yet another wonderful Gabri-torial

Put aside all your partisan bickering and think about this. What does it mean to YOU to be an American?

I am proud because the United States is truly the melting pot of the world. Only this country welcomes everyone from any country, of any race, color or religious faith.
I consider this as I think about attending our family Independence Day celebration, which will be a traditional All-American outdoor cookout. In attendence will be:

My mom -- the first person in her family to be born outside of Germany
my sister's husband -- the son of Mexican immigrants
My sister's 13-year-old charge, Lissete -- celebrating her first July 4 in the U.S. after growing up in Colombia
My cousin Dahlia -- daughter of a Mexican immigrant
My sister's friend Lyn -- daughter of Vietnamese immigrants

What makes America a great country is that we are all entitled to equal rights and privileges. No one is forced to accept one political party, one set of moral and social values or one religion.
And if someone does try to impose one of the above, you have the right to state your opposition. Through peaceful, lawful, democratic means. Which some of us will always have the conscience to do.

Gabriella84 said:
I am proud because the United States is truly the melting pot of the world. Only this country welcomes everyone from any country, of any race, color or religious faith.
Ahem, only the US does this? Last I checked, Canada is still a sovereign nation and not only do we welcome everyone from any country, race, color, or religious faith, we welcome you no matter your sexual orientation!! :D

Gabriella84 said:
Yet another wonderful Gabri-torial

Put aside all your partisan bickering and think about this. What does it mean to YOU to be an American?

I consider this as I think about attending our family Independence Day celebration, which will be a traditional All-American outdoor cookout. In attendence will be:

My sister's 13-year-old charge, Lissete -- celebrating her first July 4 in the U.S. after growing up in Colombia

What makes America a great country is that we are all entitled to equal rights and privileges. No one is forced to accept one political party, one set of moral and social values or one religion.
And if someone does try to impose one of the above, you have the right to state your opposition. Through peaceful, lawful, democratic means. Which some of us will always have the conscience to do.

So when protesting assholes clog up the major thouroughfares of D.C at rush time whose rights trump the others? I believe its the right of the motorist to run down you people and free up the logjam because really you're just wasting taxpayers money on nothing.

At this point in time being American means leaving politics at the water's edge and getting behind our efforts to defeat our enemies, any deviation from this should fall into the category of treason. Funny the Democrats of old used to believe that.

Being an American means a lot to me. One of the many things that comes to mind is the notion of service. I know of at least 10 relatives of mine (including me) who have served in the military in some capacity, though I'm the only Army vet in the family! As someone said once, "The price of liberty is eternal vigilance."

Liberty is the other thing that makes this country great. While there have been many encroachments on our liberty lately, we still have the right to speak as we wish, worship as we wish, own firearms, start our own media source, buy and sell as we wish, move anywhere in the country, and have legal representation and a public trial, just off the top of my head. The gov't can't tell me what kind of car to drive, where to live, what to wear, what to think, what god to serve, etc. And frankly, when America loses its love for liberty, we have lost the American Dream.

OCA said:
So when protesting assholes clog up the major thouroughfares of D.C at rush time whose rights trump the others? I believe its the right of the motorist to run down you people and free up the logjam because really you're just wasting taxpayers money on nothing.

At this point in time being American means leaving politics at the water's edge and getting behind our efforts to defeat our enemies, any deviation from this should fall into the category of treason. Funny the Democrats of old used to believe that.

There is a cure for the "Protester Logjam". Just tape an episode of Rush Limabugh onto a cassette or CD. Whenever you find yourself swarmed by a flood of hippies, simply roll down your windows, pop in the CD/cassette, and blast it. This will either drive them away or drive into such a maniacal frenzy that you will be able to make a case where you thought you were physically in danger, and are thus able to run them down.

This is the problem about America's culture today. It's not a melting pot because stuff isn't melting. People coming here from foreign land now so aggressively defend their native culture that they fail to simply mix theirs in with ours to create a culture that is uniquely American yet a mix of where we came from. American culture should be a mix of all cultures, not a patchwork grab-bag of cultures desperately trying to seperate themselves from each other.

See, you demonstrate how they know what it's like to be an American by telling me where they're from. What makes it great to be American is not where you've been, but where you can go. While the nationality of my parents and the place of my birth make me American legally, and while my ancestors make me American historically, what makes me American is where I can go. My dad's a finance expert, but I don't have to do that, because in America, you are not confined to the profession of your father. I am middle class, but I can become rich, because in America, you are not condemned to remain in the same income bracket as your parents. I can become anything I want, a CEO, a soldier, a business owner, a doctor, or even the President.

America is not a country of the past. It is a country of the future. It is not about where we've been, but where we're going. It is not a country where people from around the globe preserve their culture, but a country where cultures from around the world come and share what they have to offer while seeing what other cultures have to offer them. It is the melting pot, not the salad bowl. It is the land of the free and the home of the brave. You talk to us about setting partisan politics aside while ranting and trolling about everything Bush does simply because Bush does it, or because Howard Dean does. Meanwhile, better people than you defend your right to say so while you try to stifle their efforts to bring the same freedom to a wounded country half a world away. You know nothing of what it means to be American. You degrade that title and those who fight for it every time you mention us a "Nazis" and "Soviets in their gulags." You might as well wipe your can with the flag for all you do to represent the true idea of America.

229 years ago, greater men than you will ever be got together so they could form a nation where they were free from their past in Europe. Do not insult their memory by claiming Americanism is some form of pacifism which must succumb to the U.N. or some sick for of conglomeration where each neighborhood in the country is merely an extension of the residents' home country.

You claim to know what it is to be American, while listing as example your right to protest America. This cannot be farther from the truth. This is the idea of America, the idea of being truly American is to set aside what disagreements you may have long enough to get the job done, something you clearly know nothing about if your downright offensive posts mean anything at all. Walk with a Jew through the Holocaust museum. Watch his/her face and realize what good America does when united for the benefit of the future, not divided because of the disagreements of the past. Then, maybe you'll figure out the true meaning behind this word you flaunt as if you know what it means.

Hobbit said:
This is the problem about America's culture today. It's not a melting pot because stuff isn't melting. People coming here from foreign land now so aggressively defend their native culture that they fail to simply mix theirs in with ours to create a culture that is uniquely American yet a mix of where we came from. American culture should be a mix of all cultures, not a patchwork grab-bag of cultures desperately trying to seperate themselves from each other.

I like this point. To me, it is pointless to trying and give my ancestry - although, for the record, I'm 3/8 Irish, 1/8 Scot, 1/4 German, 1/8 Dutch (isn't that weird?) and 1/8 American Indian, both Choctaw and Cherokee. But for at least five generations, and probably more, my ancestors have lived in America. On the last census form, I gave my ancestry as "American." I have no need to identify myself as anything else.

Now, I can understand recent immigrants, or their children, identifying with their mother country. But for us to pretend that "American" is not a cultural identity all its own is ridiculous.

OCA said:
In other words i'm right and you had nothing to refute it, you're so easy to debate.

Since when have you even been right? You are a troll masquerading as a patriot.

gop_jeff said:
I like this point. To me, it is pointless to trying and give my ancestry - although, for the record, I'm 3/8 Irish, 1/8 Scot, 1/4 German, 1/8 Dutch (isn't that weird?) and 1/8 American Indian, both Choctaw and Cherokee. But for at least five generations, and probably more, my ancestors have lived in America. On the last census form, I gave my ancestry as "American." I have no need to identify myself as anything else.

Now, I can understand recent immigrants, or their children, identifying with their mother country. But for us to pretend that "American" is not a cultural identity all its own is ridiculous.

Jeff there are things that are uniquely American but racially there is no such thing as an American race, well Native Americans but thats a different topic, every single citizen of this country can trace their roots to somewhere else eventually. But yeah you're right if you're a mix breed, heinz katchup so to speak, whats the use of spewing i'm 1/3 this, 1/8 that etc. etc.?

Me, when someone asks me what I am, I say Greek/American, just because it rolls off the tongue easier. Putting the Greek first doesn't mean I love Greece better than I do America because I love both equally, each has its own strong points and contributions. Like, I love the lifestyle in Greece much better than here but I love the economic and educational opportunities that America affords and cannot be equaled at. Now if someone says i'm an asshole for saying Greek/American instead of just American(I know you know but probably others don't, I moved here from Greece as a toddler) they can kiss my ass.

Now it is correct that people should try and learn the language and assimilate into the culture when they move here all the while still holding onto the traditions and other things unique to the culture. In my home growing up, Greek was spoken exclusively and outside the home unless it was all Greeks together, English was spoken errr attempted lol.

as stood in the dark last night with my arms around my son watching the fire works.....i thought of the americans that fought in 1776 to create america, my thoughts then turned to every american that fought to continue to defend america and what it stands for ....

i thank all that have gone before to allow my son and i to enjoy such a night.

Gabriella84 said:
Since when have you even been right? You are a troll masquerading as a patriot.

Gabby watch your step. Do not refer to me as a troll again, you WILL afford me the respect I deserve.

I've been right an amazing 98.2% of the time.

Hobbit said:
This is the problem about America's culture today...

To EVERYTHING you posted:

applause.gif

Right-ON. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well My mother is Spanish and Italian, my father English, Irish, Russian...
My ex husband was British and Chinese
My cousin is married to a wonderful black woman who has a great family, kids grand children etc
And we are all American

So Gabby so what's your point other than the multi- cultural melting pot CLICHE??????

It's interesting how those who say race is never an issue are the ones who bring it up constantly.
Yes we are all entitled as CITIZENS to equal rights, hate to break it to you GABBS but we all already know this, not breaking any new ground here either, but Ill add that along with those rights comes the knowing that those rights can't hurt another which is something you seem to have selective ideas about.

Well Gabby...it means you learn to love and respect the country who gave you the right to constantly criticize...then again it also demands your respect and support when the country calls...regardless if you disagree...something you have yet to master...this means get off your butt and join the military...put in your time...for your future kids sake.
It is easy to criticize....very hard to risk ones all to learn what it is all about...sitting on the curb and protesting does not gain any realtime experience other than risking developing a very shallow and one track mind

So go ahead and sit on your little pumpkin butt...protest to your hearts content...knowing that someone else will have to take up your slack...
Sure hope you and yours enjoyed the holiday... vets risked their all for...so you could enjoy it! :rock:

I think america is not on its own, most "modern" countries have a lot of different ethnic groups and most of those mingle, i think muslims are less likely to mix and in my experience they try to create an islamic enviroment for themselves whereever they go in this world.
i think other "races" get on just fine. I mean look at the people on here describing how many different cultures they have come from, how many of those have pakistani blood in them? only pakistanis have pakistani blood.

I think the true test of who and what you are is the way you feel, if you have real passion for America, whats it matter whats in your blood?

Forum List

Back