What does "civil rights" mean to you?

!992 was more than ten years ago. But thanks for volunteering to do the research you've assigned to me. :lol:

Hey, maybe you'll actually learn something.

I understand he was. I was merely giving you a example of a racist who was elected to Congress. What do you think? I'm going to give you a freebie?

I didn't have to do any research, it's called knowledge. Now, why don't you prove me wrong and show me all these racists being elected if you think I'm wrong.

!992 was more than ten years ago. But thanks for volunteering to do the research you've assigned to me. :lol:

Hey, maybe you'll actually learn something.

I understand he was. I was merely giving you a example of a racist who was elected to Congress. What do you think? I'm going to give you a freebie?

I didn't have to do any research, it's called knowledge. Now, why don't you prove me wrong and show me all these racists being elected if you think I'm wrong.
Since I don't accept your simpleminded premise that outspoken racists not currently being much in favor with the voting public is the litmus test for weather racism exists in this country, it would be pointless for me to do your homework for you.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/education-and-history/118296-the-manifoil-libertarian-principle-challenge-is-voting-a-civil-right.html

Perhaps I'm an old school traditionalist and literalist, but to me a civil right is a protection for the individual against what the government is allowed to do. Such as imprisoning political dissenters, denying due process, unreasonable search and seizure, etc. It is NOT a government imposed, arbitrary determination of fairness. In fact, I submit that if the government is imposing anything, including the particulars of the Civil Rights Act, it is by definition an infringement on civil rights rather than an expansion or protection.

What does civil rights mean to you?

Touché. However, unlike Modbert, I did not qualify my statement claiming "It is a fact .." :lol:

I don't really see racists winning elections anymore, you?

of course they do, bert! We have offices here in my southern town, as well as jobs, that are reserved for particular races. You will find that probably in every town below the Ohio. And, yes, many of the office holders, regardless of color, have some racism in them.

The interference of federalism occurred because state and local governments as well as private business, just not in the traditional South but in the country, denied millions basic due process and fair treatment.

We got the Civil Rights bill because We the People failed to live up to the principles of the Declaration and the Constitution.
The interference of federalism occurred because state and local governments as well as private business, just not in the traditional South but in the country, denied millions basic due process and fair treatment.

We got the Civil Rights bill because We the People failed to live up to the principles of the Declaration and the Constitution.
Exactly.

No exactly true

The principles the founders held did not include the same definitions of terms held by their children, and succeeding generations of Americans. Example: Who got to vote. Who was a citizen.
That's why what Jake said is true. Their principles were sound, their implementation of said principals was not.

Dahntay seems to be laboring under the misconception that civil rights belong only to citizens.

Poor deluded fool. :lol:

Forum List

Back