What does America stand for? and what makes an American Patriot?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by frigidweirdo, Oct 1, 2017.

1. PredFan

PredFan Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,568
    What does America stand for?

Freedom, liberty, prosperity.

What makes a patriot?

A person who loves their country.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. ShaklesOfBigGov

ShaklesOfBigGov Restore the Republic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,600
    I never said it’s based on government for the rich. Rather I was stating the view of individual opportunity, liberty to choose your own prosperity based on success that learns from failure. I’m speaking the Founders written views that’s based on the individual pursuit of happiness, not the government provision of. The Founders wrote about individual rights, individual liberty, individual pursuits, not a government providing for the collective interest of all. That kind of collective provision is not to be found among the writings of the Founders, when it came to the establishment of this country. Oh, and yes the colonies did believe in an education system for their children in becoming productive members of society, not welfare recipients.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  3. ShaklesOfBigGov

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,600
    The Constitution is a document to provide the framework of government, confining each branch within their own individual but equal roles to represent the people through the power of the people. We the people over government, not government dictating ITS will over we the people.

4. Tehon

Tehon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,209
    Are you suggesting that government isn't responsive to the will of the people? Or just whining that you are in a minority as it relates to welfare concerns?

5. Billo_Really

Billo_Really Litre of the Band

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,155
    I agree with that.

I don't want to agree with that.

6. ShaklesOfBigGov

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,600
    I’m stating the fact the Constitution of the Founders confined government to a limited role with limited interference into the individual liberties and decisions surrounding their own choices and pursuits. They did not support, through the documents and quotes they left behind, a government that takes the wealth from one class and offers it to help another to make up for another’s inability to be just as successful. You are always free to convince yourself that you are in the majority with regards to the view of welfare, I’m only stating the original intent as under our Constitution.

7. Tehon

Tehon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,209
    They are all long dead now. They left behind the framework for a government of, by and for the people. The limitations they placed on government are defined in the Bill of Rights. I don't see anything there that would support your contention.

8. ShaklesOfBigGov

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,600
    It’s really not at all hard to do

“We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, PROVIDE for the common defense, PROMOTE the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America”..

Provide and promote are two clearly different chosen words.

How do you secure the blessings of liberty, if you believe it’s the role of Washington DC to provide your healthcare, provide welfare (clearly that’s not what is cited above as their intent). The “blessings of Liberty” and freedom to your own “pursuit of happiness” means making choices through responsibility to your own individual decisions of what you yourself personally need. Healthcare is a European concept, not a Constitutional right or entitlement.

9. Tehon

Tehon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,209
    They secured our blessings of liberty by creating the federal government with powers granted by the constitution. It says so right in the preamble. I don't see anything about personal responsibility or pursuit of happiness contained in that passage. You're making that shit up.

10. Tehon

Tehon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,209
    John Locke was a fairly important philosopher to the founding of our country. I think he sums up what it means to secure our liberty in this passage from Second Treatise of Civil Government.

THE natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but to have only the law of nature for his rule. The liberty of man, in society, is to be under no other legislative power, but that established, by consent, in the commonwealth; nor under the dominion of any will, or restraint of any law, but what that legislative shall enact, according to the trust put in it. Freedom then is not what Sir Robert Filmer tells us, Observations, A. 55. a liberty for every one to do what he lists, to live as he pleases, and not to be tied by any laws: but freedom of men under government is, to have a standing rule to live by, common to every one of that society, and made by the legislative power erected in it; a liberty to follow my own will in all things, where the rule prescribes not; and not to be subject to the inconstant, uncertain, unknown, arbitrary will of another man: as freedom of nature is, to be under no other restraint but the law of nature.