What does a vow mean to you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jimnyc, Jun 20, 2006.

1. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I've never turned during bad times or when you had financial difficulty. I did my best to be there for you when you were ill. I'm guilty of not always showing it properly but I've always loved and cherished you. My plan was forever.

I may not have brought home riches, been a hero, did all my tasks... I probably could have been kinder at times, and I probably could have been gentler at others. I was wrong in so many ways but I was right in one. I've always loved you. I've always expected to be with you forever.

It was special to me that we were such good friends in addition to husband/wife. Throughout good and bad times I looked at it as being in it together. We dealt with everything as a couple. Going to bed with you angry at me was so much better than going to bed with you nowhere around. I can't laugh, cry or cherish you if these vows meant nothing.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

Been there, done that. I meant it, perhaps he did too, in his limited way. I chose someone far above me intellectually, I thought that made him superior. Problem is, while intellectually gifted, he was narcissitic, not my diagnosis, but the result of court ordered evaluation. Over 14 years and 3 children, the most telling conversation occurred after I filed for divorce and he asked and I agreed to go for a walk and talk:

He: I never meant for things to get this bad

Me: I don't understand how they did

He: Did you ever think that we should have children Now, not when we did? Woudn't that be better?

Me: Huh?

He: I wasn't ready then, now perhaps I am.

He: I wasn't ready for kids at 25, now that I'm 35 I am. Wouldn't that be better?

He: I'm ready to be a father now.

Me: You already are.

He: No, now I am ready to be a father.

Me: You already are and have a vasectomy.

He: I'm so confused.

Postscript: He filed for divorce two weeks ago. He has a 5 year old and 18 month old. His kids with me are 20, 22, and 24. His wife is claiming psychological abuse. :laugh:

3. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511

This too shall pass, jimmy.

4. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    If only message board relationships were as simple.:rolleyes:

There are always at least two sides to every story, and both have their fair share of bullshit.

5. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    That isn't entirely true.
    There are two in a relationship; therefore two makes a relationship work, or two cause, or at least contribute, to the demise. But there are cases where, in fact, there is an innocent party.