What do you think the next major developments in personal weapons will be?

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
It started out with rocks and sticks, then to weapons made from rocks and sticks and then finally metal weapons to cut bludgeon and maim. Then of course we had the bow and arrow, the spear, the lance and the sword and the knife. There was the pike, when used correctly was impressive, but not until the invention of gun powder did weapons design make a giant leap! First there was only the device that launched a single projectile, whose original intent was not to kill a man, but to knock down walls, no matter what regressives cry about. Then we progressed to the musket, the handgun and then the repeating revolver. From their we have arrived at the modern stage of personal weaponry that we have today. For a long time now all we have seen is refinement of firearms and nothing really new

So, what do you think will be the next major advancement in personal weaponry?

Me, I think a rifle such as the AR-15 style weapon we have now, only instead of gunpowder propelled cased projectiles, it would be a weapon that fired a caseless projectile using electromagnetism, commonly called a rail gun. That would be quite a step.

It started out with rocks and sticks, then to weapons made from rocks and sticks and then finally metal weapons to cut bludgeon and maim. Then of course we had the bow and arrow, the spear, the lance and the sword and the knife. There was the pike, when used correctly was impressive, but not until the invention of gun powder did weapons design make a giant leap! First there was only the device that launched a single projectile, whose original intent was not to kill a man, but to knock down walls, no matter what regressives cry about. Then we progressed to the musket, the handgun and then the repeating revolver. From their we have arrived at the modern stage of personal weaponry that we have today. For a long time now all we have seen is refinement of firearms and nothing really new

Me, I think a rifle such as the AR-15 style weapon we have now, only instead of gunpowder propelled cased projectiles, it would be a weapon that fired a caseless projectile using electromagnetism, commonly called a rail gun. That would be quite a step.
I like phasers. Stun or kill options.

pet cats

200w.gif

I envision a world where Westerners and Jihadis come together in peaceful Nerf gun wars. If the Jihadis win the losing side is made to wear t-shirts reading "Allah Akbar". If the Westerners win the loser is forced t wear t-shirts reading "I <3 bacon". Then we'd all laugh, and laugh, and laugh.

• Banned
I had intended for this to be a serious topic.

Tadarida_brasiliensis.jpg

Don't laugh.

In WW2 they attached a small incendiary device to thousands and release them to go start fires everywhere.

Problem is when they like to roost under your base fuel tank after release.

Carlsbad_AAF_Fire_after_Bat_Bomb_Accident.jpg

I like phasers. Stun or kill options.

Here ya go! It's a start...

"If you think the image above looks frightening, you’re right. The crazy contraption pictured in the image is the first portable railgun, a futuristic projectile launcher associated most commonly with the military or NASA. The man in the image above isn’t in the military, and he’s not a NASA engineer. Instead, he’s a civilian who used some engineering smarts, some widely available parts and a 3D printer to create a functioning weapon that can fire graphite, aluminum, tungsten and even plasma projectiles at speeds of more than 560 mph."

3D printing used to make first real handheld railgun, which fires plasma projectiles at 560 mph

16i60m0.jpg

Here ya go! It's a start...

"If you think the image above looks frightening, you’re right. The crazy contraption pictured in the image is the first portable railgun, a futuristic projectile launcher associated most commonly with the military or NASA. The man in the image above isn’t in the military, and he’s not a NASA engineer. Instead, he’s a civilian who used some engineering smarts, some widely available parts and a 3D printer to create a functioning weapon that can fire graphite, aluminum, tungsten and even plasma projectiles at speeds of more than 560 mph."

3D printing used to make first real handheld railgun, which fires plasma projectiles at 560 mph

16i60m0.jpg
That is a start and is pretty cool. It's less than 1000 fps though. We need Mach 15 projectiles leaving the barrel!

Forum List

Back