What Do You Think of This 'Flea' Redition of the National Anthem

I don't know, how do you think it measures up?
Nicely.

The problem with keeping culturally influential works of art current, such as the National Anthem and the works of Shakespeare, etc, is to allow for their expression in current forms.

I still think one of the losses to our civilization is that the language in much of our culturally formative literature is in archaice language.

Someone could do us all a favor if they would update the language.

They both suck.

I can play it better - even with the distortion and a wah wah pedal.

I'm not going to disagree.

I have had friends that I thought did it better than both.

But the original idea to do it goes to Jimi, so hat's off to him.

When he first posted this, I was expecting something more original from Flea, something more creative from a bassist. I didn't want to hear someone attempting to blaze a trail where Jimi had already been. I've heard friends do that so many times already on the six sting.

Maybe they made a mistake signing up Flea for this job. To get something more personal, professional, and original sounding, maybe they should have signed up Les Claypool or Geddy Lee.

But then again, you know the MSM, maybe this flat unoriginal predictable shtick is exactly what they were looking for. :hmpf:

They both suck.

When he first posted this, I was expecting something more original from Flea, something more creative from a bassist. I didn't want to hear someone attempting to blaze a trail where Jimi had already been. I've heard friends do that so many times already on the six sting.

Maybe they made a mistake signing up Flea for this job. To get something more personal, professional, and original sounding, maybe they should have signed up Les Claypool or Geddy Lee.

But then again, you know the MSM, maybe this flat unoriginal predictable shtick is exactly what they were looking for. :hmpf:

I would like to hear Victor Wooten play it with a lot of the harmonics that he's known for.

Or maybe Tal Wilkenfeld. . . just because she's Tal Wilkenfeld. :)

They both suck.

I would like to hear Victor Wooten play it with a lot of the harmonics that he's known for.

Speaking from a musician's POV, I can understand those choices, however, you must understand capitalism and the choices the NBA must make to please the fans.

Among musicians, those choice might be preferable, but among the general public? They want someone they are familiar with.

I don't know, maybe you are right.

I have noticed that the older an artist gets, the less creative and inspired they tend to be.

But the reason the corporate culture works the way it does, is, you must pay your dues to get the spotlight and the really good gigs. I guess that is why Flea sounded a bit stale. He is past is prime.

The only popular genre's that I have tended to find where the old hands can keep up with the youngin's is Jazz, blues, swing, blue grass, old country, folk etc., IOW, where wisdom and experience matter more than energy. I've even noticed in folk and sometimes jazz the young kids tend to be more inspired than the old hands.

They both suck.

Speaking from a musician's POV, I can understand those choices, however, you must understand capitalism and the choices the NBA must make to please the fans.

Among musicians, those choice might be preferable, but among the general public? They want someone they are familiar with.

I don't know, maybe you are right.

I have noticed that the older an artist gets, the less creative and inspired they tend to be.

But the reason the corporate culture works the way it does, is, you must pay your dues to get the spotlight and the really good gigs. I guess that is why Flea sounded a bit stale. He is past is prime.

The only popular genre's that I have tended to find where the old hands can keep up with the youngin's is Jazz, blues, swing, blue grass, old country, folk etc., IOW, where wisdom and experience matter more than energy. I've even noticed in folk and sometimes jazz the young kids tend to be more inspired than the old hands.

I am not a sports fanatic by any means. . . but I have watched our National Anthem get butchered too many times to count by so called musicians that I have never heard of before.

From my perspective. . . What a way to blow a chance to grow your audience.

The National Anthem should be performed with respect, dignity and love of country, conforming to the way and the spirit in which it was written.

All the silly above improvisations, above, belong to the stand up comedy stage or better still, the garbage heap of liberalism

Forum List

Back