What do you think of people arriving at your home without warning?

Dalia

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2016
France
It is in the French culture to act in this way ... I do not like it at all when I want to see someone, I Always ask before

And you ?

It is in the French culture to act in this way ... I do not like it at all when I want to see someone, I Always ask before

And you ?

Well I have some of these a-holes hanging outside my home in their cars, sometimes in my driveway at 2 am!

How do I act? Not as I would like after this many years of harassment I assure you.

That said, in reference to your comment I understand your point. It would be different if America had 10,000 illegal immigrants, you could accept more with more lenience. 11M+?! You're stretched, big time.

Last edited:
I don't drop in on people as a rule. When people show up unexpectedly at my home, I invite them to join me in weeding, mowing, feeding the stock, pruning trees, painting buildings, shampooing the carpets, washing dishes, you know, whatever I was doing before they interrupted me.

And you ?

Well I have some of these a-holes hanging outside my home in their cars, sometimes in my driveway at 2 am!

How do I act? Not as I would like after this many years of harassment I assure you.

That said, in reference to your comment I understand your point. It would be different if America had 10,000 illegal immigrants, you could accept more lenience. 11M+?! You're stretched, big time.
I meant more than someone you know who happens to show up at your home this at any time without warning.
Here it is customary to act this way in France, I had a friend who came to my home at 8.30 am to tell me that he was passing through the neighborhood, I did not open I was still asleep and I did not want to see anyone.
The least you can do is call in before going to someone's place, that's what I do.

When I was younger it was fairly normal to show up at someone's place unexpectedly. As I've gotten older I've gotten a lot less social, so that it doesn't happen anymore. :p

Of course, almost everyone having a cell phone makes a difference. It's much easier to call or text about dropping in on someone now.

When I was younger it was fairly normal to show up at someone's place unexpectedly. As I've gotten older I've gotten a lot less social, so that it doesn't happen anymore. :p

Of course, almost everyone having a cell phone makes a difference. It's much easier to call or text about dropping in on someone now.
Yes, it was different when we were younger that true :pand it is true that even with the cell phone here people still do not prevent.
in the summer when I go to chonas I am more quiet it has a portal with the image that appears to see who is at the door.
It is convenient

I meant more than someone you know who happens to show up at your home this at any time without warning.
Here it is customary to act this way in France, I had a friend who came to my home at 8.30 am to tell me that he was passing through the neighborhood, I did not open I was still asleep and I did not want to see anyone.
The least you can do is call in before going to someone's place, that's what I do.

I agree...I enjoy having company and sharing conversation over tea or coffee with a friend, however to drop in unannounced is inconsiderate at best. There have been times I have refused to open the door also - other times I did answer the door and ask them in. Sometimes it was pleasant and sometime I seethed through the entire visit. However, I did make a point of cooking enough food for supper to feed an extra person or two if they happened to drop by. (usually friends of one of our children)

I agree...I enjoy having company and sharing conversation over tea or coffee with a friend, however to drop in unannounced is inconsiderate at best. There have been times I have refused to open the door also - other times I did answer the door and ask them in. Sometimes it was pleasant and sometime I seethed through the entire visit. However, I did make a point of cooking enough food for supper to feed an extra person or two if they happened to drop by. (usually friends of one of our children)
Here in France any region is different in terms of Normandy there is not the same people do not arrive without warning but the family home is more isolated.
I prefer Normandy by far.I just love Normandie :)
In the USA it's different culture, people warn it's much better like that.;)
Someone who arrives like that I think it's wrong doing

And you ?
It depends on the time of day. After dark, it annoys me. Dinner time, it annoys me. Any other time, I don't care. In fact, I think it is nice.

Salesmen are never welcome. I have a NO SOLICITING sign on my door. For some reason, Jehovah's Witnesses think they are exempt from this sign. So I drew a chalk outline of a body on my front walk and scattered a few Watchtowers around it.

They got the message.

And you ?
It depends on the time of day. After dark, it annoys me. Dinner time, it annoys me. Any other time, I don't care. In fact, I think it is nice.

Salesmen are never welcome. I have a NO SOLICITING sign on my door. For some reason, Jehovah's Witnesses think they are exempt from this sign. So I drew a chalk outline of a body on my front walk and scattered a few Watchtowers around it.

They got the message.

I almost always talk to the Witnesses. When I lived in Florida, I had conversations somewhat regularly with them; maybe it would be more accurate to call them debates, or civil arguments. ;) At least they are invariably pleasant and civil about it. :dunno:

What makes it inconsiderate? I would think that would only hold true if the person expects to be greeted/let in, not if they are perfectly willing to accept you not wanting company. :dunno:

There is nothing so pressing in my life that I cannot stop and enjoy company. I do stop by peoples houses and say high without warning and no one cares.

What makes it inconsiderate? I would think that would only hold true if the person expects to be greeted/let in, not if they are perfectly willing to accept you not wanting company. :dunno:

That's an interesting question...how do you know what they expect until you open the door and greet them?

As a then busy, working mother of three juggling naps, housework, laundry and meals a planned visit could be a nice respite. It only takes a minute to pick up the phone and ask if/when a visit would be convenient. Even now, I'm uncomfortable with drop ins when I'm not dressed, or have had a bad night and trying to nap - or the house is a mess, or I'm just getting ready to step in the shower. Friends don't put friends in uncomfortable situations...it is a matter of consideration. As I've already stated - suppertime was the exception. Unexpected guests were always invited to join us.

I hold myself to the same standard - I would never drop in on a friend unannounced unless it was a matter of great importance and a phone call was not possible.

That's an interesting question...how do you know what they expect until you open the door and greet them?

As a then busy, working mother of three juggling naps, housework, laundry and meals a planned visit could be a nice respite. It only takes a minute to pick up the phone and ask if/when a visit would be convenient. Even now, I'm uncomfortable with drop ins when I'm not dressed, or have had a bad night and trying to nap - or the house is a mess, or I'm just getting ready to step in the shower. Friends don't put friends in uncomfortable situations...it is a matter of consideration. As I've already stated - suppertime was the exception. Unexpected guests were always invited to join us.

I hold myself to the same standard - I would never drop in on a friend unannounced unless it was a matter of great importance and a phone call was not possible.

Let me rephrase and say that I don't consider dropping by unannounced inherently inconsiderate. However, it can be depending on the people involved, the context, or the specific circumstances.

Forum List

Back