What Do YOU Think Makes A Normal, Happy, Contented, Moral Life

really---I say let em just suffer until they beg for it--MUCH more compassionate don't you think ?

That's exactly what he is saying, which tells me he truly doesnt understand.

The full test of compassion isnt easy. its easy to help others when they ask you to. its whole other thing to have compassion and love them when they are fighting you. That is the true sign of charity. You love others and want to help them even when they are complete @$$es to you.

I disagree. They should not have to beg. I said that they shoud ask.

You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink.

I have no problem with this approach:

Joe: It seems to me that you are feeling down. Are you troubled? Do you want help?
Sam: No, thank you. Please leave me alone.
Joe: Okay. Feel free to call on me if you want any help or advice.
That is as far as it should go. I often see such encounters go much further such as:

Joe: It seems to me that you are feeling down. Are you troubled? Do you want help?
Joe: No. Let me tell you what’s wrong with your life. I can set your life straight.
Sam: No. I don’t want your help right now. Please go away and leave me alone.​

Joe is becoming a nuisance in this case.

I disagree. Chuck Norris can lead a horse to water and make him drink. and If he can do it, anyone can if they are patient and full of love.

I disagree. They should not have to beg. I said that they shoud ask.

You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink.

I have no problem with this approach:

Joe: Okay. Feel free to call on me if you want any help or advice.
That is as far as it should go. I often see such encounters go much further such as:

Joe: No. Let me tell you what’s wrong with your life. I can set your life straight.
Sam: No. I don’t want your help right now. Please go away and leave me alone.​

Joe is becoming a nuisance in this case.

I think a better analogy is that Sam is sitting on a railroad track with his iPod jammed in his ears and doesn't see or hear the train approaching. Should Joe risk offending Sam by tapping him on the sholder and notifying him of his impending doom?

I think a better analogy is that Sam is sitting on a railroad track with his iPod jammed in his ears and doesn't see or hear the train approaching. Should Joe risk offending Sam by tapping him on the sholder and notifying him of his impending doom?

An even better analogy is that Sam is sitting in his living room minding his own affairs. Should Joe risk offending Sam by notifying him of the imaginary train(which only Joe can see) bearing down on him from nowhere?

Since the train is seen by a vast majority perhaps it is not imaginary.

How seriously can you take the claims of the majority when those who can supposedly see it can't even agree among themselves the size, shape, direction, or destination of this imaginary train?

How seriously can you take the claims of the majority when those who can supposedly see it can't even agree among themselves the size, shape, direction, or destination of this imaginary train?
I don't see much disagreement among the majority as all: Heaven, Hell, Good, evil. You're obviously trying to take the analogy too far.

Okay. I’d push him out of the way if there were a train coming. I suppose that my likelihood of interfering depends on the immediateness of the danger and on the degree to which he will be hurt. Perhaps Sam is an intelligent adult who wants to commit suicide.

Anyway, if the issue is his “salvation” and I believe in God. I see no harm in mentioning it. If he tells me that he is not interested in discussion and if he asks that I leave him alone, I would do so. I’d be a gentle persuader rather than a “Bible thumper”.

I don't see much disagreement among the majority as all: Heaven, Hell, Good, evil. You're obviously trying to take the analogy too far.

Not much difference between Christianity, Islam, Judaeism, Hinduism, Bhuddism, etc? You're delusional!

When you strap on about 250 pounds of C-4 or similiar type explosives and wait were a lot of people gather and go high order and flatten everything within 500 yards flat! Now that is living and the best part their ain't any DNA because it evaporated.:ali:

Forum List

Back