What do you think happens after we die?

Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar, was one of the best books I have ever read if that tells you anything. It probably doesn't as it doesn't tell me anything either.

Wasn't that a very depressing book?

It was soo beautiful. I read it a few years before my younger brother committed suicide. I don't think the two saw life in the same way at all. Sylvia was like a exquisite butterfly whose wings had frozen solid. She still loved life but had become unable to fly and was watching herself fall.

There were also a couple years in high school when car crashes seemed to be a trend. God that hurts. I will never forget walking into the house where a girl I dated for a little bit, very quiet girl, very beautiful inside. Both of her parents were home but silence was crushing. They a very open floor plan with hardwood floors and big windows. The kind of environment where sound would bounce off easily. The silence was crushing. One could fill that house with a hundred people and the most noticeable thing would be her absence.

My mother said she heard the pain seems to get a lot less after about two years and she found that to somewhat the case. I can't say. Maybe I just don't like letting go of the pain because it is what I have the most of.

OK, now I really am jumping out the fucking window. (sorry if I misspelled anything, I am not proofreading that.)

I tried the head in the oven thing, but it was an electric range. Took a while for my hair to grow back.
the damn suicide prevention line wanted a credit card number!

Last edited:
Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar, was one of the best books I have ever read if that tells you anything. It probably doesn't as it doesn't tell me anything either.

It was soo beautiful. I read it a few years before my younger brother committed suicide. I don't think the two saw life in the same way at all. Sylvia was like a exquisite butterfly whose wings had frozen solid. She still loved life but had become unable to fly and was watching herself fall.

There were also a couple years in high school when car crashes seemed to be a trend. God that hurts. I will never forget walking into the house where a girl I dated for a little bit, very quiet girl, very beautiful inside. Both of her parents were home but silence was crushing. They a very open floor plan with hardwood floors and big windows. The kind of environment where sound would bounce off easily. The silence was crushing. One could fill that house with a hundred people and the most noticeable thing would be her absence.

My mother said she heard the pain seems to get a lot less after about two years and she found that to somewhat the case. I can't say. Maybe I just don't like letting go of the pain because it is what I have the most of.

OK, now I really am jumping out the fucking window. (sorry if I misspelled anything, I am not proofreading that.)

I have had that in my family to, and it's so painful, This past year was the hardest one ever.

I don't really know how to feel about it, this is why I wonder about life and death, is because the pain is so strong when someone dies and also especially when someone doesn't want to live and attempts/commits suicide.

I can't really put into words the shock and pain over things like that.

Sylvia Plath would be too depressing for me I just want to feel inspired and connected positively but I am not into religion and so I find it hard to get answers to questions I have without feeling a little depressed.

Time for me to put the kid in bed. Nothing like knowing you can lose to make you value the having.

Great talking with you drifter and uscitizen. Until we meet again.

:night:

I tried the head in the oven thing, but it was an electric range. Took a while for my hair to grow back.

Is it because you felt no reason to exist or because someone disappointed you, and you felt all alone?

I guess that depends upon one's definition of "point".
Is the point of a bee is to pollinate plants or to produce honey? What is the point of a wasp?
I live, I'll die. It is.

Just like any other creature on this planet, you are born you reproduce and you die and the cycle continues with the next generation.

The POINT is that you make the world a better place for you children and that cycle also continues thru the generations.
Hopefully....

What if your family is dead and your the only one left?

Then is your point over ?
no !! the point is not over !! their is a reason to live !!.......AlWAYS !!!!

Last edited:

Is it because you felt no reason to exist or because someone disappointed you, and you felt all alone?

JK about the attempts.
However strange that.
I have been depressed all my life but never really suicidal. I have mostly felt alone even in a crowd of known friends, real friends.
I have lost friends to war in front of my eyes, lost family to disease , Old age. The worst was my mother to dymensia/Altzheimers. I have not lost a child though, that would have to be horrible.

I expect to take my own life when this old life gets not worth living due to my affliction, I will NOT live as a total veggie in a bed.

Just like any other creature on this planet, you are born you reproduce and you die and the cycle continues with the next generation.

The POINT is that you make the world a better place for you children and that cycle also continues thru the generations.
Hopefully....

no !! the point is not over !! their is a reason to live !!.......AWAYS !!!!

Even if Romney lost?

And no there becomes a point due to illness when living is not a reason to suffer.
I do not encourage anyone to take their life, but I will support their decision to do so in some cases.

Depression due to a loss of a loved on will get less intense as time passes and one can still enjoy life they will find.

Last edited:
:clap2::clap2::badgrin:

no !! the point is not over !! their is a reason to live !!.......AWAYS !!!!

Even if Romney lost?

And no there becomes a point due to illness when living is not a reason to suffer.
I do not encourage anyone to take their life, but I will support their decision to do so in some cases.

Depression due to a loss of a loved on will get less intense as time passes and one can still enjoy life they will find.
even though !!:cool:

Do you have a religious belief about death?

If you are not religious do you still think we exist in a different form after we die here?

Are you afraid of death?

Do you think loved ones can still communicate after death or do they just move onto another plane of existence, or just dead?

What's the point of living if we just die.

I think that when our physical bodies die .... because its only our body that dies not ourselves...we are souls and Immortal... we shed that lower body.... and take a subtler body ...a more spiritual body that lives in a higher sphere so to speak.

This has nothing to do with religion or man made theories....

I am not afraid of death I only want the transition to be quick.

I think that when we die... is when we really "wake up" and realize this life on earth was a dream ... or a school or University to learn lesson which we could not have learnt any other way. We feel free and liberated after leaving this body.

But then again...what do I know? nothing at all my friends!:dunno:

Not a thing!!!:laugh2:

JK about the attempts.
However strange that.
I have been depressed all my life but never really suicidal. I have mostly felt alone even in a crowd of known friends, real friends.
I have lost friends to war in front of my eyes, lost family to disease , Old age. The worst was my mother to dymensia/Altzheimers. I have not lost a child though, that would have to be horrible.

I expect to take my own life when this old life gets not worth living due to my affliction, I will NOT live as a total veggie in a bed.

Relieved you did not actually try to off yourself.

Suicide is so hard a pain to deal with when it is done out of a mental anguish, I am not sure if it is hard to deal with when done because of a incurable disease I suspect it is different for those left behind but still very painful.

If you are not religious do you still think we exist in a different form after we die here?

Are you afraid of death?

Do you think loved ones can still communicate after death or do they just move onto another plane of existence, or just dead?

I think that when our physical bodies die .... because its only our body that dies not ourselves...we are souls and Immortal... we shed that lower body.... and take a subtler body ...a more spiritual body that lives in a higher sphere so to speak.

This has nothing to do with religion or man made theories....

I am not afraid of death I only want the transition to be quick.

I think that when we die... is when we really "wake up" and realize this life on earth was a dream ... or a school or University to learn lesson which we could not have learnt any other way. We feel free and liberated after leaving this body.

But then again...what do I know? nothing at all my friends!:dunno:

Not a thing!!!:laugh2:

I like your ideas about it, it has a comforting feeling , I only wish we knew for sure and since we don't I have to assume the worst....we just die.

Are you afraid of death?

You ask alot of good questions.....and i don't have all the answers :)

I'm Christian. I don't go to Church. I agree with a lot of non believers that speak about the hypocrisy in the Church. I've seen too much. But to your questions....i do believe we live on after death. We all have souls....our souls are US. I believe our souls go to God. I don't know what it's like.

I'm not afraid of death....i just worry about HOW i'm going to die. I'm not into pain, and i always pray that when it's my time it's quick. Preferably i die in my sleep :)

And loved ones communicating??? Yes... i do believe they can. After my mother died, my daughter was only 10 and saw her grandma in her doorway one night. Even though the woman looked very young, she knew it was grandma. My kids have also seen and heard things that indicate it's a relative that's passed. I've seen and heard things....
But no, i can't prove anything.

We do not live in this world, then just die and there's nothing else. Anyone that believes this is crazy. What happens to our souls then? SOMETHING goes on after death......

^^Pretty much this for me too.

I am equal parts mind, body and soul all wrapped up in an adorable package of bitch/angel. ;) lol

Are you afraid of death?

Rest. No fear, no pain, no politics, no worries. Death is a fact of life just like birth is. I am a believer, dont worry, I wont preach, but I am free of any fear of death, because at the very least, everything I hate about "life" will be done. I dont believe our loved ones communicate, but that they do see us. Whats the point of living ? Being happy, sex, eating food, smoking pot, good beer now and then, watching the kids grow up, revenge, cold air in the lungs , a smoke, sunrise in Texas, bugling Elk, my bow in my hand, playing with my dog, watching movies with my wife, anger and sadness. I cant say I am happy all the time, but Its just the way things are. Good, bad I am here. And I love it. I dont dwell on death, I dwell on life.

Reincarnation. No heaven, no hell, just a little R&R and then back to work in another life. Men come back as women and vice versa, democrats as republicans and vice versa, somebody is screwing with us.

I've been single all my life (I'm 64 now) and, not having had any brothers or sisters, I don't feel a personal sense of loss when anyone dies. My parents were a couple of assholes, and the idea that there is no afterlife in which I would encounter them fills me with gratitude. But if there is an afterlife (consistent with Jewish and Christian religious beliefs) there are reasons I won't go into that ensure that I'll be spending Eternity in a different place than they will, which is another concept that fills me with gratitude. So whether the atheists are correct, or the "God fearing Christians" are correct, I figure that for me it's a win-win situation.

I've been single all my life (I'm 64 now) and, not having had any brothers or sisters, I don't feel a personal sense of loss when anyone dies. My parents were a couple of assholes, and the idea that there is no afterlife in which I would encounter them fills me with gratitude. But if there is an afterlife (consistent with Jewish and Christian religious beliefs) there are reasons I won't go into that ensure that I'll be spending Eternity in a different place than they will, which is another concept that fills me with gratitude. So whether the atheists are correct, or the "God fearing Christians" are correct, I figure that for me it's a win-win situation.

What makes you feel enjoyment in living?

Do you feel indifferent to life or a commitment to it?

Well..... I think you have nothing to worry about...because in the after life one only attracts and "lives" only in the circle of people who are like you and feel like you and are sympathetic to your way of feeling and thinking.

You attract your own so to speak.

Then again... I have no proof of all this !!! hehe:lol:

When you die you are as asleep, you do not go to another plane of existence, nor to heaven or hell. You know nothing and can do nothing.

On Judgement day God will call forth all the dead, returning them to new bodies. Those that are not followers of Satan and that are followers of God will be living on a restored Earth with perfect bodies, no more disease, crime or sickness. Those that were followers of Satan will return to death and be no more.

144000 chosen people will ascend as spirits to heaven to help God and Jesus run the restored Earth. Jesus will be King answering only to God.

Wow.

This actually sounds like a great science fiction movie.
or the start of a cult?

Read the bible. I realize most supposed Christian religions have bastardized it and claim you go to heaven when you die. The Bible is clear, No man has ascended except that he first descended ( Jesus) Everything I wrote is spelled out in the Bible.

What makes you feel enjoyment in living?

Do you feel indifferent to life or a commitment to it?

What makes me feel an enjoyment in living? Watching and photographing children.

Child Admiring “Clifford the Big Red Dog" by Bill A, on Flickr

Do I feel indifferent to life or a commitment to it?
I served in the US Navy, and continue to be a supporter of Veterans and of efforts to ensure that servicemen (and women) don't throw away their lives when they fight and sometimes die for their country.

Boy Contemplating Meaning of Vietnam Veterans' Memorial by Bill A, on Flickr

Forum List

Back