What Do You Think About Bluegrass Music ?

In between one of these songs, the lead singer calls one of the songs a "tune", which is incorrect. A tune has only music (no words) Ones with words AND music is called a "song" But we can easily forgive them since the Bluegrass Cardinals are absolutely one of the best Bluegrass bands ever to exist.

Last edited:
What do I think of bluegrass music? My most favorite female is rooted in the format. :) :) :)

God bless you and her always!!! :) :) :)

Holly (a fan of Alison since 1994)

P.S. May she add to her 27 Grammy awards some day soon! :) :) :)

Depends.

Old timey bluegrass like Bill Munroe, Earl Scruggs, Doc Watson doing traditional songs is great.

What I've heard termed as "new grass" like Yonder Mountain String Band, or bluegrass bands that do modern covers with drums or other non-traditional instruments suck, imo.

David Grisman is pretty great, though.

Bluegrass is pretty popular here in Colorado, especially among hippies and outdoorsy sports types (like climbers, rafters, hikers - not just fishermen and hunters).
On the one hand, I agree with you, the new stuff isn't as good as the pure stuff.

On the other hand, have you heard what the alternative is for today's youth to listen to? Do you know what garbage is in the top 40?

A year or so a blue grass video from one of these newer bands came through my feed, I thought it was interesting, it went viral, I'm sure you saw it. My 14yo was amazed. He thought it was the most awesome thing he had hear in a long time, very unique, very creative. He asked me what sort of music is was.

I told him it was that "boring twangy music" we listen to on the weekends. "Blue Grass." He laughed.

Anyway, the point is, it's a good way to hook the younger generation. They seriously don't like the corporate shit that is being shoveled to them, but they don't think they have any other alternatives. Seriously.

If you are a teenage boy over achiever, and had a choice between Kanye and this, what would you find more interesting?

Well, you have a point. Maybe I'm a bit of a purist about music, and maybe a bit old fashioned. I can't stand the awful corporate crap that is played on the radio today. It's worse than it has ever been. And if the kids get into new grass instead of the terrible shit that's played nowadays, then maybe there is some hope left in the world. As long as they stay off my lawn!

Here'a one of the great Bluegrass groups of all time > The Seldom Scene. 2 of the them are former members of the original Country Gentlemen (John Duffy-mandolin & Tom Gray-bass)

This is from Woodstock 1992. It's a reunion of the original Country Gentlemen, 30 years after their beginning. They are older, a bit heavier, but they hadn't lost a note. Here's the song Dark As a Dungeon (Down in the Mines)

I love love love bluegrass, was raised on it. One of my gramas brothers used to go around to the festivals when I was a girl and before, he played fiddle. His wife was named Honey and my gramma said she was crazy. They traveled with Honeys cat, who she said could talk. She would prove it by asking her cat questions to which the answer always star with an M sound. For example, and I am not making this up, Honey would say 'Who am I?' and the cat would say 'moowm' and Honey would say, 'She calls me 'mom'" hahahha. Or she'd ask the cat what she wanted to eat, and the.cat would say 'moooww' and honey would say 'do you have any milk? That's what she wants"..

Then gramma would mutter to me in the kitchen 'shes going to give that stupid cat milk and it's going to crap everywhere' hahahaha...

Anyway, that was my bluegrass.playing uncle. He'd come spend the night and play his fiddle in the kitchen.

and folk and bluegrass are different, and wth no the harmonica is not a distinguishing feature of bluegrass though if that's what you have, that's what u play.....

and folk and bluegrass are different, and wth no the harmonica is not a distinguishing feature of bluegrass though if that's what you have, that's what u play.....
My favorite bluegrass band had one guy who sometimes used the Jews harp. No offense to anyone, that's what it's called.

I FINALLY remembered the group's name: Bottle Hill. Early '70's, out of NJ. Did 2 records, the first was "A Rumor in Their Own Time"

Last edited:

Forum List

Back