What do you set your thermostats on in winter?

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Its set to 68 here. Housemate runs around in a bathrobe and thermal underwear at night cuz its COLD. I stay in my room with my little heater blasting away but when I go in the kitchen, its like walking into an ice box.

Anyway..I read that 68 is best and to wear sweaters, so thats what I am doing right now. Fluffy slippers, fluffy robe, two quilts on my bed. MrGracie has his thermals on and his little heater going. All doors are closed to keep us warm in our respective rooms. I wish housemate would set it to 70. I can imagine how bad its going to get when it snows cuz the winters here are pretty cold. And, older folks have thinner skins and are in danger of hypothermia if the thermostat is set too low (62 to 68), plus folks with auto immune problems, arthritis, etc...which is my problem. Should I ask her to set it to 70 or just stay buried in my room bundled up during the winter?

I'm so ready to go home...IF they ever call. Be in charge of my own thermostat!

62 F Day
60 F Night

All Winter, I wear wool sweaters and heavy weight jeans, flannel or fleece PJ's, wool socks makes all the difference in the world! Really cold days I have flannel lined jeans from LL Beane

If company is coming over, then I raise it to 65 so it's toasty! :D

We heat with oil... ugh!

a few years ago, it got down to about 2.30 a gallon and I had the furnace cranked to 68F all winter.... it was heaven on earth!!! Didn't last long though!

I think it's all relative to what the weather is, outside of where one lives..... when it is minus -10F outside here, then coming inside to 62 F, it's like I am baking in Jamaica! :lol:

Two to three logs ... depending on how deep the snow is.

ctyp_yulelog_fire.jpg

62 F Day
60 F Night

All Winter, I wear wool sweaters and heavy weight jeans, flannel or fleece PJ's, wool socks makes all the difference in the world! Really cold days I have flannel lined jeans from LL Beane

If company is coming over, then I raise it to 65 so it's toasty! :D

We heat with oil... ugh!

a few years ago, it got down to about 2.30 a gallon and I had the furnace cranked to 68F all winter.... it was heaven on earth!!! Didn't last long though!

I think it's all relative to what the weather is, outside of where one lives..... when it is minus -10F outside here, then coming inside to 62 F, it's like I am baking in Jamaica! :lol:

Well, somebody's headlights are always on. lol.

60 is a little chilly for my blood.

We have radiant floor heating so I don't change the settings between day and night because it's slow to respond

70-72 in the living areas of the house, 65 in the bedroom

For me it varies because half the time, it doesn't even feel like winter here in east Tennessee. A couple of years ago, we did have a 60 degree Christmas Day here.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. The ironic thing is that after ten years in northern Kentucky, I didn't get my one and only white Christmas until I moved here, Christmas of 2002 being the one. :D :D :D

Its set to 68 here. Housemate runs around in a bathrobe and thermal underwear at night cuz its COLD. I stay in my room with my little heater blasting away but when I go in the kitchen, its like walking into an ice box.

Anyway..I read that 68 is best and to wear sweaters, so thats what I am doing right now. Fluffy slippers, fluffy robe, two quilts on my bed. MrGracie has his thermals on and his little heater going. All doors are closed to keep us warm in our respective rooms. I wish housemate would set it to 70. I can imagine how bad its going to get when it snows cuz the winters here are pretty cold. And, older folks have thinner skins and are in danger of hypothermia if the thermostat is set too low (62 to 68), plus folks with auto immune problems, arthritis, etc...which is my problem. Should I ask her to set it to 70 or just stay buried in my room bundled up during the winter?

I'm so ready to go home...IF they ever call. Be in charge of my own thermostat!
Two or three layers really are warmer than one fluffy robe or heavy sweater. Don't have to be thick layers, either, although thin thermals that don't mess up your "look" are great. If you don't want to invest in those, just get a set of warm tights to wear under your slacks and a t shirt to wear under your sweaters.
And most of your body heat escapes through your head, so the old "night cap" had a reason. Wear one, or at least a nice substantial scarf around your neck.

66 is where it sits when we’re in the house. Main floor goes down to 60 overnight when we go to bed. Upstairs goes down to 62 during the day when we’re downstairs.

I have electric heat, and I usually leave it off

Live with 91 y.o. parents, 72 nite & day or they complain they're freezing even when bundled.

They must be Northerners. Anything below 78 is not welcome here.

For my aunt, she really likes it @ 80.

Wait not here, over there..I like 76.

Aw crap. that thing died. Oh well.

Last edited:
`
As I generate my own electricity, I'm heavy into electric heat but also have a back-up propane and wood system. Every room has it's own thermostat but also can be controlled through the master board. In the winter, I keep rooms that I'm in at 74°f, for sleeping, 66°f. The pool area, when in use, 78°f.

`
As I generate my own electricity, I'm heavy into electric heat but also have a back-up propane and wood system. Every room has it's own thermostat but also can be controlled through the master board. In the winter, I keep rooms that I'm in at 74°f, for sleeping, 66°f. The pool area, when in use, 78°f.

What's your favorite spooning temp?

Forum List

Back