What do you serve for Christmas Dinner ?

A couple of my kids have friends who weren't able to spend Christmas with their own families, so they suggested that we invite them to our gathering and do a pot-luck of sorts for Christmas. What we ended up having was:
  • Crown roast of lamb
  • Iberico ham (my contribution)
  • Stuffed Maine lobster
  • Beef Wellington
  • Duck fat sauteed haricot verts, onion and julienned red and yellow bell pepper
  • Sweet and spicy collard greens (my contribution)
  • Sauteed Brussel sprouts with morels, bacon and onions
  • Stuffed and roasted squash (butternut, acorn, yellow and Rouge Vif d'Etampes), celery and onion medley
  • Pasta puttanesca
  • Duck fat pommes frites
  • Marjoram infused pommes Anna made with roasted chicken drippings in place of butter
  • Apple, ginger and toffee pie
  • Pecan pie
  • Chocolate truffle layer cake with mocha mascarpone icing
  • Homemade persimmon sorbet (my contribution)
  • Champagne, red and white wine (my contribution)
  • Various teas (my contribution)
  • Coffee (my contribution)
I have to say I was impressed by my kids' culinary sensibilities. With one exception that tasted great but was a bit out of place amongst the other menu items, I think they and their "dates" did a fine job, all the more so since I had very little cooking to do this time round, though I chipped in my knife skills to hasten the overall process (LOL).

I think the pot-luck idea worked out great for everyone's scurrying about and collaborating to prepare their respective dishes was a fantastic icebreaker. We all not only greatly enjoyed the food, but also the time together.

I was especially fond of spending time with my kids, all of whom are have now more or less commenced living their own adult lives, and I was honored that they afforded me the privilege of getting to know better their current beaus, belles and friends. Seeing my kids maturity, initiative, charity, aplomb and interactions with friends is far and away the best Christmas gift I've ever gotten from them. Nothing beats that cathartically affirming moment when one realizes indubitably that with or without oneself, one's kids will be just fine.
Nice

Forum List

Back