What do you SEE in regards to the economy?

What do you SEE in regards to the economy?

Well, I didn't get a raise in my allowance and next year doesn't look so good either...

I see no actual improvement.

But I keep my ears open to the stories of other folks. And a couple of guys who have their own businesses going DO seem to see this year (to date) being better for them (in terms of their bottom line and receipts) than last year by this point.

I see the WH patting themselves on the back for a job well done on the economy.
I see the usual Obama "fluffers" here and there in full agreement.
Any other President would be getting grief for a dismal economy that is just limping along.

Let's try something rational and without the usual insults etc... I mean, I'm sure the usual whackjobs who can't address issues or topics won't be able to help themselves but I'm curious as to what the more rational members have to offer.

I'm in Arizona taking care of my mom for a couple weeks. It's been interesting to say the least. These people make John Boehner look like a flaming Liberal.

When I got here I was told their economy is doing horribly and of course, it's all Obama's fault. Then we went to a barbecue last night and a diehard Conservative corrected that. He's one of the few people here who still works - simply because he enjoys it. He told me the state netted over 40,000 jobs. He says he SEES it too. That's a big deal to me.

Lots of people claim the economy is getting better or worse. The Dems have number to back them up. But I actually SEE the economy getting better. I see it at home in Vegas and we've been doing all the shopping for mom and also took my daughter to the mall because she forgot to bring a bathing suit, here in AZ. Stores are PACKED nowadays!
As many of you know, I own an executive recruiting firm and I SEE evidence all over the country. We literally have ten times the number of contracts as we did a year ago. We've hired three new people and opened an office in Silicon Valley and we are still nowhere near meeting demand.

So what do you see? If you own a business, are orders up? Down? What kind of business do you have? Are you hiring? When you go shopping, are the stores deserted or crowded?
Cities I know are definitely improving include NYC, Silicon Valley, LA, San Diego, Houston, Dallas (although the tornadoes may hurt them), Austin, DC, Phoenix and Vegas.
I know Detroit is still hopelessly in decline.
What about where you are or where you travel?

What I see is double digit unemployment that is expected to continue for another 7 to 10 years. I also see a bunch of diehard liberals that will continue to blame Bush for this, depsite the fact that the Democrats have been running California and the Bay Area for decades.

YOU live in the Bay Area?!?!?! OMG you must be miserable! That is one of the most Liberal areas I've ever been to.
We just opened an office in Palo Alto but the contracts we're getting are not for your average Joe - PhD's in MicroBiology, BSEE's PLUS JD's from Stanford etc... So it seems like things are imrpoving there for the high income earners and not so much for everyone else. Although University Ave seemed bustling.

What I see is double digit unemployment that is expected to continue for another 7 to 10 years. I also see a bunch of diehard liberals that will continue to blame Bush for this, depsite the fact that the Democrats have been running California and the Bay Area for decades.

I live in SanFrancisco so I feel a little insulated from the recession, but there is no doubt that the low-skill labor pool has experienced a structural shift at this point. You know it really depends on what part of the country you are in. Its such a mixed bag but one thing is for certain, the recession has left a dent in the labor pool that will not rebound any time soon.

The real losers of the last 5 years and the next 5 to come are manual laborers (due to lack of new infrastructure), and employees who's jobs have been outsourced (those jobs are never coming back). If your job is exposed to potential capital flight, then it will happen sooner or later. Hell, accountants are even getting outsourced these days.

Last edited:
I see systemic problems that some trace back a century condusive to a widening disparity

I see forms of corruption that would have been front page news in my youth now barely noticed

I see partisans turning political labels into blame game diversions while the above occurs

I see the captians of industry inflitrating poltics to the extent the potus is no more relevant than employee of the month

These issued have an interconnectability that churns slowly, resulting in an economic status no one entity can either radically change, nor be blamed for.....

oh screw it......>

John fogerty - Bad Moon Rising live! - YouTube

~S~

Seems like the economy generally is not improving. Some individuals might see some improvement at the very high end, but not the middle or low end which is getting worse.

Forum List

Back