What do You Say to Death?

AVG-JOE

American Mutt
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2008
Your Imagination
Why do a lot people when someone dies say he is in a better place how do you know?

Hope and Love is why the Monkeys say it, and you're absolutely right, nobody knows what's next. Hopeful guessing for personal reasons. Give them a break... death is an awkward time.

The road to Sentience starts with an understanding that life is finite and ends with living a full life with a great attitude in spite of knowing with absolute certainty that your own death is just as certain as the inevitable deaths of everyone you love, every one you know, and everyone who could possibly ever remember you.

Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust. Nobody gets off this wet rock alive. Nobody.

Erecting monuments to oneself helps. So does dying with the knowledge that your story will be in the history books. Whatever it takes to live with the senselessness of living a life that you know ends in death. Religion seems to be a popular resource for the uncommon man of average valor at bridging the futility of knowing that life ends and the survival instinct. The truth is that nobody knows and nobody can know, so each Monkey is free to take ownership of their own beliefs. The truth is what set this average Monkey free.

Considering the span of time that IS our planets living history, and considering the absolute cheapness of life on this lucky wet rock, including the semi-Sentient Monkey life, the odds really are against there being a better deal at the end of this ride, and there's NOTHING worse than an opportunity wasted. ;)

`

Last edited:
Why do a lot people when someone dies say he is in a better place how do you know?

Hope and Love is why the Monkeys say it, and you're absolutely right, nobody knows what's next. Hopeful guessing for personal reasons. Give them a break... death is an awkward time.

The road to Sentience starts with an understanding that life is finite, and ends with living a full life with a great attitude in spite of knowing with absolute certainty that your own death is just as certain as the inevitable deaths of everyone you love, every one you know and everyone who could possibly ever remember you.

Erecting monuments to oneself helps. So does dying with the knowledge that your story will be in the history books. Whatever it takes to live with the senselessness of living a life that you know ends in death. Religion seems to be a popular resource for the uncommon man of average valor at bridging the futility of knowing that life ends and the survival instinct. The truth is that nobody knows and nobody can know, so each Monkey is free to take ownership of their own beliefs. The truth is what set this average Monkey free.

Considering the span of time that IS our planets living history, and considering the absolute cheapness of life on this lucky wet rock, including the semi-Sentient monkey life, the odds really are against there being a better deal at the end of this ride, and there's NOTHING worse than an opportunity wasted. ;)
[SIZE="-3"]
`​
[/SIZE]

Joe I have to disagree. Life is infinite. Clay is finite. You never stop being who you are.
Christ went from dead clay to 'Hello folks'. Moses and Elijah had a little meeting with Christ in full view of others. The priests in Jerusalem interrogated 2 dead priest that they found back at their old address after Christ brought them back with Him. You never stop being you.
Explain the person that died on the operating table and came back to life to tell the people about a shoe on the roof? Or the blind woman whose body was drained of blood and had a total shut down of brain activity so the surgeons could remove a brain tumor, who watched her own operation and accurately described the tools, the colors of the scrubs, the song the surgeon sang. There is a purpose to your vapor of a life here and it is to ready you for the continuation of your life without end.

Life is for the living, and we don't even completely know what it is. Death is just a name for another thing that is not understood.
There is nothing to say to 'death' as it is not something that 'exists'.
Just as we call the absence of color 'clear' or 'transparent', they still are not colors. Dead is non-being, no thing. It is the concept of the absence of life.
We would need to know what life is to understand if and how it could be absent.

"There is no death. Only a change of worlds."
— Chief Seattle

The road to Sentience starts with an understanding that life is finite, and ends with living a full life with a great attitude in spite of knowing with absolute certainty that your own death is just as certain as the inevitable deaths of everyone you love, every one you know and everyone who could possibly ever remember you.

Considering the span of time that IS our planets living history, and considering the absolute cheapness of life on this lucky wet rock, including the semi-Sentient monkey life, the odds really are against there being a better deal at the end of this ride, and there's NOTHING worse than an opportunity wasted. ;)
[SIZE="-3"]
`​
[/SIZE]

Joe I have to disagree. Life is infinite. Clay is finite. You never stop being who you are.
Christ went from dead clay to 'Hello folks'. Moses and Elijah had a little meeting with Christ in full view of others. The priests in Jerusalem interrogated 2 dead priest that they found back at their old address after Christ brought them back with Him. You never stop being you.
Explain the person that died on the operating table and came back to life to tell the people about a shoe on the roof? Or the blind woman whose body was drained of blood and had a total shut down of brain activity so the surgeons could remove a brain tumor, who watched her own operation and accurately described the tools, the colors of the scrubs, the song the surgeon sang. There is a purpose to your vapor of a life here and it is to ready you for the continuation of your life without end.

The Monkeys are clever and imaginative. There are indeed stories of life after death.

Any proof? Any evidence of the destination outside of the dusty, ancient story books?

Life is short. If you're SURE you get a reset button at the end, live accordingly.

Me? I'm not so sure. I'm going to ass-u-me that this is it and enjoy the ride.

Life is for the living, and we don't even completely know what it is. Death is just a name for another thing that is not understood.
There is nothing to say to 'death' as it is not something that 'exists'.
Just as we call the absence of color 'clear' or 'transparent', they still are not colors. Dead is non-being, no thing. It is the concept of the absence of life.
We would need to know what life is to understand if and how it could be absent.

Same concept, short version: NObody knows. Nobody can know.

AVG-Conclusion: Monkeys on the road to Sentience are free to choose a story that makes sense to them.

Choose wisely, life is short.

What do You Say to Death?

in this case the OP is speaking about the physiological form ... my Spirit will continue to live, without the expired body -

having discovered the answer in time before the body expires how to live freely in the OuterWorld of the Everlasting.

AVGJoe, what sort of proof do you require? I think the only way that people like you will learn is to die. It will happen someday, hopefully many years hence, but when the time comes you'll see.

"What do you say to death?

The check is in the mail.

Knowing that countless "sentient monkeys" have had to answer that question before me is comfortless. Death is the most personal of human experiences, and so unlike most all other ones, an experience each of us must have on our own. Death is also the ultimate equalizer. No one survives it, you can't opt out, and it is the one aspect of life you can rely on without fail. Life ends. Sentience comes with a high price--the knowledge that you will die. It's still a pretty good deal.

AVGJoe, what sort of proof do you require? I think the only way that people like you will learn is to die. It will happen someday, hopefully many years hence, but when the time comes you'll see.

Like the rest of you, until I cross the line, all I have is speculation, theories, guesswork and odds.

I'm not stupid. I'm going to speculate that the odds are long on the theories and guesswork that best fit the evidence that CAN be seen, tested and validated.

If Momma's Little Bastards do have a Father, His name is Time.

"What do you say to death?

The check is in the mail.

Knowing that countless "sentient monkeys" have had to answer that question before me is comfortless. Death is the most personal of human experiences, and so unlike most all other ones, an experience each of us must have on our own. Death is also the ultimate equalizer. No one survives it, you can't opt out, and it is the one aspect of life you can rely on without fail. Life ends. Sentience comes with a high price--the knowledge that you will die. It's still a pretty good deal.

:clap2:

And, at least statistically speaking, the odds of an average Joe being born into a reasonably comfortable and fulfilling life are getting better every year.

Speaking as a believer myself, I seriously doubt anybody has a handle on the GOD question.

Forum List

Back