What do you remember about Sept 11, 2001?

I turned 21 less than a month after 9/11, so it is hard to figure out what changed me. Right after 9/11, I know I had more fear. But not so much now.

I bought into all the shit about how we shouldn't give up our freedoms out of fear. Now, 9 years later, I am disappointed to learn that we have freedom of expression as long as it doesn't piss off the muslim world. This one has been a difficult one to stomach.

As far as my political opinions and focus are concerned, I am the same person. The events of 9/11 have not changed my resolve in having a government that operates within the Constitution, instead of treating it with disdain.

I was not fearful that day, as bad as it was.

The greatest threat to this Republic is not an attack by terrorists or a foreign country. The greatest threat to this Republic is "We The People." That is what concerns me the most.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
I bought into all the shit about how we shouldn't give up our freedoms out of fear. Now, 9 years later, I am disappointed to learn that we have freedom of expression as long as it doesn't piss off the muslim world. This one has been a difficult one to stomach.

A lot of people call on government to save them from themselves and then wonder why the price of perceived security is at the expense of freedom and liberty.

I started smoking again.

I also spoiled my children and fought with my husband about flying.

I always request the lowest floor of a hotel.

I became a news junkie.

And I always curse the terrorists when waiting in security lines at the airport after I take 3 Xanax.

But I still love NY.

I know that 9/11 changed a lot of us. Some profoundly. If you care to share how, go for it.

I was in grad school at the time and my goal was to get heavily involved in treating disease. When that day happened, my goal changed.

I ended up going that career path for a while, but I always wanted to apply my knowledge and skills to any effort to prevent that sort of crap from ever happening again - here or anywhere.

Now, I am on my desired path and that has done quite a bit for my career satisfaction and my overall serenity.

9/11 was a sort of Final Straw for me in my evolution from left wing liberal, to what I have become today. It forced me to reexamine my positions and Opinions on many things. As I am sure it did with many people.

previously, i worked 50-60 hours a week, was a workaholic, lived in the rat race and enjoyed being there.

post 911, I moved to God's country, do not work, smell the roses and bond with Nature's creatures, including the hubby! :D

9-11 changed me profoundly.

Prior to that, I was in a peace time Army.

That morning I was out on a live fire exercise with a bunch of other 2LTs at Ft. Benning, Georgia.

Our cadre was all gone, which was really unusual. We sat there and waited for most of the day and no one showed up. Finally they did arrive and asked if anyone had any relatives who worked in the twin towers or in downtown NYC. Those people were taken to the rear to contact loved ones.

The rest of us were informed that Twin Towers were "gone". Someone asked what the Captain meant by "gone" and he said: "I mean they are gone."

We thought we would all be taken back to the rear to see what was going on for ourselves, but they kept us out in the field to train for the next three days.

After all, we were now in a war time Army and we all knew that our time was coming.

I started smoking again.

I became a news junkie.

And I always curse the terrorists when waiting in security lines at the airport after I take 3 Xanax.

But I still love NY.
I flew to Vegas a few after the attacks. I smoked a bowl before going to the airport. I figured they might want to destroy Circus Circus too.

I almost always watch the news in the morning before I leave the house.

I realized the world was still unaware of the desire Islamic leaders have for world domination/subjugation.

Vowed to always sit next to the Arabic looking guys on air flights.

I started smoking again.

I became a news junkie.

But I still love NY.

3 Xanax?

Good lord.

Before 9/11 i thought muslims were like everyone else. I have since learned differently.
Before 9/11 i did not pay attention to the people i am flying with, now i profile everyone.
Before9/11 i would have sat quietly on a hijacked plane, now i would kill and or be willing to be killed, in an attempt to take back control of the plane.

I remember going outside that evening and noticing that no airplanes were flying over...(I live in a flight path)...how silent it was. And being surprised that the moon was still in the sky.

Before 9/11 i thought muslims were like everyone else. I have since learned differently.
Before 9/11 i did not pay attention to the people i am flying with, now i profile everyone.
Before9/11 i would have sat quietly on a hijacked plane, now i would kill and or be willing to be killed, in an attempt to take back control of the plane.

Amen sister. :clap2: Might as well go that way, you will be going anyway. I thought about that all the way to Egypt and back.

Amen sister. :clap2: Might as well go that way, you will be going anyway. I thought about that all the way to Egypt and back.

I fly a lot, I was supposed to be in the air that day. I flew the day the planes were back in the sky. Flights were empty for a few years after 9/11 and it was so sad. One flight, just before the pilot went down the gangway, he turned to the people at the gate and thanked all of us for still flying, and that we were his all part of holding his back. We knew what he meant, FIGHT if the time comes to it. I carry different things in my carry bag on these days. ;)

My parents were supposed to go on a cruise with their best friends the following weekend. Their best friends' son in law was on the 85th floor. They never went.

We went to the Bahamas that November. Same weekend as the plane crash in Queens. At that time they were suspecting terrorism. I told my husband I'd swim home. May have taken four Xanax that trip. lol

I fly a lot, I was supposed to be in the air that day. I flew the day the planes were back in the sky. Flights were empty for a few years after 9/11 and it was so sad. One flight, just before the pilot went down the gangway, he turned to the people at the gate and thanked all of us for still flying, and that we were his all part of holding his back. We knew what he meant, FIGHT if the time comes to it. I carry different things in my carry bag on these days. ;)

I have worked in a state hospital, so I know that some very unlikely things can be used as weapons.

BTW: I have seen that view of the WTC in your avatar. I was there in 92 just after the car bombing. I went all the way around the observation deck of the tower taking pics of NY. Someone asked me why I was 'wasting' all that film. Ironic. That perspective no longer exists. Wasted? Really?

Last edited:
I apologize in advance for this, I didn't think about an attack happening today at all until just a few minutes ago. Did anyone think we might get a terrorist event today?

Forum List

Back