What do you remember about Sept 11, 2001?

I was working nights, so I slept through the whole thing. I woke up about 11:00am & turned on the news. I saw the view of Manhattan from a news chopper with smoke rising from a huge pile. I woke my brother & said look, some country just got attacked. They got the shit bombed out of them. A big war must be breaking out. I started thinking that place looks a lot like Manhattan, but no, there are no World Trade Twin Towers.

We watched in amazement as they recapped the events. Jaws dropped! I soon learned my co-workers wife was in the Millennium Hotel smashed below the towers. Later we found she escaped the hotel with nothing but what she had on. No money, phone, clothes, car or transit back to the Midwest. I took many days of basically hitch-hiking with no communication for her to get back home. Understandably she was an emotional basket case when she returned. My other friends were stuck in Mexico for a week due to airline shutdown & border security. They were freaked out.

Watching BBC News this evening, they covered a Remembrance held by the US Embassy in London in memory of the British victims of 9-11

BBC NEWS | UK | Ceremony remembers 9/11 Britons

As an aside, during the remembrance, local Muslims chose to burn American flags in protest. A counter-protest was not allowed by police. Hmmm.

Sorry about yet another 9-11 thread, guys, but I thought some of y'all might be interested.

Your link goes to a story in New York, and no mention of flag burning
Around 100 people gathered in New York to pay tribute to the 67 Britons killed in the 9/11 attacks six years ago.

Huddled under umbrellas, relatives and friends remembered the victims during a concert in the British Memorial Garden in Manhattan's Hanover Square.

Your link goes to a story in New York, and no mention of flag burning
Around 100 people gathered in New York to pay tribute to the 67 Britons killed in the 9/11 attacks six years ago.

Huddled under umbrellas, relatives and friends remembered the victims during a concert in the British Memorial Garden in Manhattan's Hanover Square.

Crap. That'll teach me to make assumptions. According the BBC News 24 (tv) The Remembrance was at the US Embassy in London.... They then showed the Muslims protesting and burning the American flag.

Unfortunately, I can't find it on the BBC site.

I flew to Florida on the day after the airport reopened from the 9/11 shutdown. We did not have or need any additional security. The only thing that changed was attitude. Passengers were not going to ever negotiate with a terrorist again. People discussed how when confronted by a terrorist they would do anything they could even if it meant killing terrorist or dying themselves to prevent another attack. That was all that needed to be done.

Now our personal liberties & freedoms have been taken from us by our own government. The same assholes who told us to negotiate with terrorist in the first place. Government sucks & Attitude is Everything.

I was working and there was a tv on in the area. There were probably a dozen of us. We all thought it was just a weird accident, until the second plane hit. In that instant I realized it was a terrorist attack, as we all did. I said to my friend, this has got to be Bin Laden. He, like everyone else, just looked at me..."Bin who?" They all knew who Bin Laden was by the end of the day. The thing is, this was a long time coming.

If you care to, please share your thoughts and feelings about that day.

What were you doing? Who were you with? What did you feel? What did you think?

I think one of the amazing things about the 9/11 attacks is that it hasn't happened again...

That's something that I have thought about.

There have been attempts, but we've stopped them, either through luck or skill.

The big question is...are we protecting ourselves or do we have a false sense of security?

I feel the same thing about my antivirus software on my computer. Is it protecting me, or have I just not been attacked?

My wife walked in and woke me up... told me that a plane ran into the WTC & my first reaction was that was no accident... I watched the 1st tower fall and was in utter shock!
All I could think of was OMG, I hope those people got out... When the 2nd one went, I cried like a baby.... then I got really pissed!

My daughter was just a few months old... and she is just now getting old enough to understand what actually happened on that day.

One of the things I cant get out of my mind is the poor souls that jumped to their deaths rather than be burned alive.... It gets me all choked up right now just typing this :(

I had nightmares for several days....(in th dreams) I was there in a line.... waiting for my turn to go in and retrieve the dead from the rubble and look for survivors.... in the dreams I never got my chance to help, and it would frustrate me so much, and I would wake up pissed and sad.

It was a day I will never forget....

I was working on the radio for a country music station doing the 5-9 morning show. We were just about to sign off when the first plane hit. We had a TV in the studio as always and then of course the AP news wire went off with the info about 2 minutes later. My show partner and I, like everyone reported the "accident" right before we signed off at the top of the hour for the next shift to come on. 2 minutes later, the second plane hit and we were stunned into the reality that this was not an accident. My partner had an uncle who was a NYPD police seargant with the narcotics division. She immediately started trying to call his cell which of course was useless. We stayed on the air until noon covering everything from the collapse of both towers to the strike at the Pentagon. I went home for a shower and change of clothes and went back to the station about 2 and contacted a local car dealer who was a big sponsor of our show. We wanted to set up a donation site at his dealership and he gladly accepted. For the nest 72 hours straight, we broadcast from that location and accepted donations from anyone who came by. It was amazing...through the first night, there were donations ranging from $1000 dollars to a man who donated his car for us to sell...I'll never forget that. It was a 2000 model Toyota Camry. The car was practically brand new! We actually decided to auction the car off on the air and it sold for just a little over 2000 more than it's retail value. Over the 3 day period, we had several country music stars on with us by phone and were even more surprised when Faith Hill stopped by for a personal visit. In 72 hours, we raised 106 thousand dollars. In the final hour of our fund raiser, the owner of the dealership came on the air with us and we reported the total that we had received. He was amazed! And then we were amazed when he announced that his dealership would match our 106 thousand...it was unreal.

There were many tears of sadness, fear and pride in our country during those first few days. And I don't think I was ever so proud of the willingness of people to give and give and give...and of course I have never been more proud of our nation for the way we clung to our national spirit and unity as a people.

God bless the fallen...God bless this nation...may we feel that unity again today

I lived in Athens, GA at the time and was working at a pottery studio near downtown. I was driving to work when the DJ broke in on the college radio station I was listening to to say that a plane had just hit one of the towers. I didn't think much of it, other than, "oh, the poor people in that building".

I got to the studio and started rolling out clay when the owner who lived across the street came over and told us "you guys need to see this". All 7 of us gathered around her TV when all of a sudden, the second plane came into view. The news anchor said "oh shit" just as the second plane hit. That's when the stunning feeling hit us all that it was definitely not an accident. Most of us started crying. My sister lived just north of NYC and her boyfriend had interned at the Windows on the World restaurant (he was still in culinary school at the CIA) so I tried to call them, but couldn't get through (finally did later on - both were fine and not in the city that day, thank goodness). Needless to say, nobody got much work done that day.

I didn't have a television at home, so we went over after work to watch the news. That's when I learned about the Pentagon and the other plane. Then I remember how eerie it was to hear no airplanes. I also remember a couple of weeks later when the planes started flying again. Also eerie.

I moved to NYC in 2006.

Last edited:
At the time, I worked a 12 X12 shift, 6 pm to 6 am, I was wrapping things up to leave when someone came in the dress down room and said the first tower had been hit, first thoughts really bad accident.....that didn't last long, an airliner hitting the tower is like a needle hitting another needle....anyway, the cafeteria had a large screen TV they had turned on, some of us went there and stayed for several hours....

I was stuck in traffic when the news of the first plane hit. (Gotta love ATL traffic).

The show I was listening to was reporting on this "accident", and then one of the hosts said "Holy SHIT, there's a SECOND plane" right before the 2nd hit.

Made it to work (at the time working for a small entertainment outfit out of the owner's house north of the city in Cumming). We watched the television for hours, internet was all but locked up. People were evacuating parts of Atlanta, not knowing if we were next. Traffic was locked up for hours.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmHgY_J63Ik]YouTube - Ryan Adams - New York, New York[/ame]

Sorry bout that,

1. I had total disdain about islam before 911, knowing what they are for over 30 years Carter years, ya remember?
2. Afterwards my disdain grew and grew, to the point I want islam banned from our shores.
3. I am glad you have found a fantastic path that makes America a safer place!:clap2::clap2:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Last edited:

Forum List

Back