What do you know?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061204/ap_on_re_us/new_orleans_recovery

Looks like Nagin has finally gotten around to organizing some Katrina recovery. Maybe he should have thought about that after Katrina hit. Maybe its just me, though.

Shouldnt you sort of recover after the disaster and not years after it?

You mean like having FEMA there right after the storm instead of three days later... yeah, I'm all for that. ;)

Everyone failed those people... from the top on down.

NO has been in the news a lot lately with the FEMA trailers and allowing folk to stay long, and the rats at the trailers. And now this sleeze bag mayor and his total lack of leadership to fix that messed up city. Oh and I forgot about the crime rate and how it's totally out of control. NO needs to be bull dozed into the Missisippi and they should then bring in tons and tons of soil to build it higher off the ground and then rebuild. It is a total shame that our country has to look like some 3rd world hole because of a lack of leadership.

You mean like having FEMA there right after the storm instead of three days later... yeah, I'm all for that. ;)

That's simply a LIE.

For your statement to be correct, it'd have to read:

"Everyone in leadership of their state government failed those people - hell, those PEOPLE failed themselves to a large degree, too."

NO has been in the news a lot lately with the FEMA trailers and allowing folk to stay long, and the rats at the trailers. And now this sleeze bag mayor and his total lack of leadership to fix that messed up city. Oh and I forgot about the crime rate and how it's totally out of control. NO needs to be bull dozed into the Missisippi and they should then bring in tons and tons of soil to build it higher off the ground and then rebuild. It is a total shame that our country has to look like some 3rd world hole because of a lack of leadership.

Only the local leadership? Or does that include the people who have the real pocketbook to fix the damage... you know, the Feds.

I agree 100% re a lack of leadership..... might be helpful if the guy responsible for FEMA's efforts knew how to do more than judge horse shows, though.

That's simply a LIE.

For your statement to be correct, it'd have to read:

"Everyone in leadership of their state government failed those people - hell, those PEOPLE failed themselves to a large degree, too."

Get a grip, luv.

Try actually reading something that isn't propaganda... there was blame all around. It's just the ones with resources to save lives were the Feds.

http://www.factcheck.org/article348.html

Only the local leadership? Or does that include the people who have the real pocketbook to fix the damage... you know, the Feds.

I agree 100% re a lack of leadership..... might be helpful if the guy responsible for FEMA's efforts knew how to do more than judge horse shows, though.

Somebody had to be the scape goat. Hey I'm for getting these people back to repaired homes and a functional city, kind of an oxymoron since that joint has been on the take longer than the mafia has been in Sicily! But really these troubles have been there for hundreds of years, so now is the time to enact the federal worker program. You live in a temporary housing facility then if you are able you'll work, or volunteer said number hours per month until the job is finished, or you can move to neighboring states! Simple, can you imagine what Roosevelt would have done back then? Why can't that work now, hell the dems are all for government and that fits their plan.

That's right!

yeah true but when the G says that all hell breaks loose, the very g that gave up money and temp housing and tries to stay on a course for them to takes responsibility and guess what happens? The g (FEMA) is told to allow them to stay longer, so the people are milking the system, hell Mayor Ray has a nice house he lives in so no worries.

FEMA isnt first response. In fact, they cant legally do anything till the state governor asks. Louisiana governor never asked anything for a few days.

But then you already know this. But you couldnt care less about the truth, so long as you try to make the President look bad.

Just to point out, NO was settled by the French... im just pointing out an important fact of why it sucks so much there...

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp

3 days. Everyone harps on the 3 days. The reason that there is a "local" government is because the "federal" government is far away. Local governments are there to help with the immediate care. Their failure only highlighted the fact that the government in general can't take care of everyone's needs. If your local government fails, the Federal one is too far away to help right away.

Add to that they had to help Mississipi, Alabama and Florida as well as LA, then you can see why its pointless to place blame on the Feds. Its too great a task to tackle all of it within 24 hrs of a disaster. Yet you didnt hear complaining from MI, AL, FL, TX and the rest who got hit by hurricanes about the Federal aid. I wonder why you heard it about LA? Probably because LA had an incompetant mayor backed by an incompetent Governor that didnt know how to run a hotdog stand let alone oversee a rescue and recovery effort for an entire state.

FEMA did exactly what it was supposed to do. The problem is that the politics of the situation seaped through as they too foten do in today's media. No context is given for how long a recovery effort should respond by. No context is given that the surrounding states that received just as much if not more damage then LA were not in disarray thanks to good leaders that prepared for the worst. Too often we hear only half the story.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
3 days. Everyone harps on the 3 days. The reason that there is a "local" government is because the "federal" government is far away. Local governments are there to help with the immediate care. Their failure only highlighted the fact that the government in general can't take care of everyone's needs. If your local government fails, the Federal one is too far away to help right away.

Add to that they had to help Mississipi, Alabama and Florida as well as LA, then you can see why its pointless to place blame on the Feds. Its too great a task to tackle all of it within 24 hrs of a disaster. Yet you didnt hear complaining from MI, AL, FL, TX and the rest who got hit by hurricanes about the Federal aid. I wonder why you heard it about LA? Probably because LA had an incompetant mayor backed by an incompetent Governor that didnt know how to run a hotdog stand let alone oversee a rescue and recovery effort for an entire state.

FEMA did exactly what it was supposed to do. The problem is that the politics of the situation seaped through as they too foten do in today's media. No context is given for how long a recovery effort should respond by. No context is given that the surrounding states that received just as much if not more damage then LA were not in disarray thanks to good leaders that prepared for the worst. Too often we hear only half the story.

Not to mention that according to the current article, the local government is just starting to rebuild... I think 3 days compared to a year and a half is pretty darn good timing.

Not to mention that according to the current article, the local government is just starting to rebuild... I think 3 days compared to a year and a half is pretty darn good timing.

Not to mention the fact that ANYONE with an address that was in the affected area is STLL eligible for and receiving bebefits from a multitude of agencies. Mental health issues or substance abuse? Help until possibly 2008 or as long as the money keeps pouring in.

Forum List

Back