What do you feel about allowances?

Sep 12, 2008
I had one. On balance, I have to admit my parents were scammed.

I can't afford it, but when the kids do something above and beyond, I pay them for it.

bite.JPG

putting the bite on dad

How old are you children? Depending on how old they are, they will understand money being tight.

Not all payment needs to be money. Don't teach your children that giving them things is love.

Pay them in fun things. They do something great make them a cake. Make indoor smoores.

My father brought home a card board box and turned it into a glorious castle.

The man had love and imagination.

Fuck I miss him.

Jdub, I had a father like that... Mine died when i was 19, and I miss him everyday since... Coulda used his help with my own 3 kids ya know...

I feel an allowance is neither good or bad, its the lessons taught from the parents and or major influences on the children that make it so.... I do not give allowances to my children because I do not want them to associate doing whats expected of them with a superficial reward. I do this because when I see the attitudes from other children I teach or coach, there is a marked pattern towards immediate gratification rather than a result earned through hard work and dedication... Knowing how impatient my own children can be, I try and keep them away from such types of compensation in the hopes it prevents them developing similar attitudes as many of their peers.

I know how I was at a young age, and I know my children are very much like me, so I am careful about how their motivations are developed.

It seems to me you had a good Dad, and he is still with you, he is in you, Dad.

My family never gave me an allowance, however I did have free room,free eats, health care, and transportation. Those WERE, the 'good ole days', in that respect at least. They were great parents.

Kind of like what many thought they might get in the last election from their 'federal surrogate parents'. :D

It's a good idea in my opinion.

Kids need to learn that with hard work comes financial independence.

The deal is that they kids do chores for a weekly allowance.

This teaches kids how to accept responsibility and how to budget money.

But once paid, It's their money, too.

Read that you cannot tell them how to spend it or how much they should save, etc.

I also believe in paying kids for good grades

Then they can earn through two different types of income streams.

So you end up teaching them that physical labor pays okay, and that intellectual work, work that takes time and planning can ALSO pay, and that it can pay rather well, too.

Last edited:
We pay an allowance, as long as chores are being done around the house.

But now ... well now it's time for the youngin' to get a job. A drivers license was just issued ( now the worrying really starts ) and my car insurance doubled.

I see chores as being part of the family household and not something that you get an allowance for. I believe that children need to learn what being part of family means and it will help them later on in life. Mom and Dad both work and come home and still do chores. Chores are not something you get paid for. Chores are the normal every day things to do in life. Doing chores is what earns praise and attention for jobs well done.

Extra big chores are what you get paid for. Paid is not necessarily money either.

I pay for an extra car and insurance now, 3 extra cell phones with unlimited text, 3 computers and maintenance, and all the various other expenses including sports, video games, etc..

They do chores for those things... As far as money they must earn it and or ask for it and I need specific purposes for the money... I keep an extra credit card for emergencies and such but they know what its for..

No allowance for the 14 yo, she has a list of chores to do every day, and they must be done before she has any "free time" to do as she pleases.

If she wants to earn some money then she'll do extra duty around the house. She is going to start babysitting to earn money, so she can buy those things teens want, but don't really need.

Sometimes I'll give her money just because she's such a good kid. She doesn't beg for anything, doesn't talk back, and always says "thank you" when I do anything for her. So it's like tipping her for being so good lol! :D

No allowance for the 14 yo, she has a list of chores to do every day, and they must be done before she has any "free time" to do as she pleases.

If she wants to earn some money then she'll do extra duty around the house. She is going to start babysitting to earn money, so she can buy those things teens want, but don't really need.

Sometimes I'll give her money just because she's such a good kid. She doesn't beg for anything, doesn't talk back, and always says "thank you" when I do anything for her. So it's like tipping her for being so good lol! :D

Sounds about like my 3.... ya got a good kid there EZ...

I had an allowance somewhat, my parents usually gave me money when I needed it. I also did stuff around the house. Plus I started babysitting at twelve, and umpiring at 15 so I really only had my parents buy me clothes and shoes.

Forum List

Back