What do you do with the repeat drunk driver?

They have made alot stricter laws now on the people who drink and drive. It is not solving the problem tho. What they should do is ban alcohol. It is no different then drugs. Alcohol is a drug and an addiction. They should ban it completely. Then you will have less or no drunk drivers. I am dead set against drugs and alcohol.

Few problems are ever solved. But the war on DUI has done a lot of good. 40 years ago america had 55,000 highway deaths . Now it's 35,000 even with a lot more cars and people. Yes cars are safer but i think going after drunks has helped a lot.

There's still more to be done, though. I don't favor putting DUIs if prison since that would cost a fortune. But let's make DUI a felony in all cases. That's a big penalty there due to loss of many rights and job opportunities and would scare lots of people into driving sober.

Banning booze is out of the question right now.

This guy gets pulled over for drunk driving. He's taken to a holding tank to sober up then goes in front of a judge and told to go to AA meetings and loses his liscense for however long.

After he gets his drivers liscense back, he decides to go out and get drunk again, gets pulled over and this time gets put on probation for for 3 years and loses his drivers liscense for 5 years.

After about 6 months, this guy gets drunk again but since the courts didn't take his car away, he drives and hits another vehicle with a family of 5 coming back from the circus and kills them all. The drunk driver walks away from the accident with some cuts and bruises. He is put in jail for vehicular manslaughter, I don't know how long though.

How do we stop this from happening?

We should take all motorized vehicles away from every single person in the United States, that's how.

Wait, wait.... You start by saying that this story was about one drunk driver.... then make the asinine logical jump to "every single person in the United States"...

How about we take guns away from:

1) Convicted felons
2) Mentally Ill
3) Dishonorable discharges
4) Domestic abusers
5) Restraining orders
6) Anyone caught attempting to stockpile weapons for purposes of domestic terrorism. (KKK, WBC, Christian Identity, religious cults, or left-wing ECO-Terrorists, Anarchists etc.)

How do we do this? We keep better databases!! We know who owns guns and we cross reference them with the databases.

This guy gets pulled over for drunk driving. He's taken to a holding tank to sober up then goes in front of a judge and told to go to AA meetings and loses his liscense for however long.

After he gets his drivers liscense back, he decides to go out and get drunk again, gets pulled over and this time gets put on probation for for 3 years and loses his drivers liscense for 5 years.

After about 6 months, this guy gets drunk again but since the courts didn't take his car away, he drives and hits another vehicle with a family of 5 coming back from the circus and kills them all. The drunk driver walks away from the accident with some cuts and bruises. He is put in jail for vehicular manslaughter, I don't know how long though.

How do we stop this from happening?

We should take all motorized vehicles away from every single person in the United States, that's how.

I see where you are going with this but I really think drunk driving needs to be addressed a lot more. When we lived in Fort Belvoir we met a man there who was retired and was an alcoholic. Everyone knew he had a problem. It was reported. His spouse was the military member though and he worked as a civilian, so it was hard to get a damn thing done about it. We all said one day…. His wife left the military and they moved to Florida and there he was DUI hit several cars and killed 2 women. One was 20 the other was 69. He was sentenced to 21 years, but I’ll bet he will be out in a lot less. It is a shame how drunk drivers are not dealt with more harshly before they kill.

Army vet Randy Archiquette sentenced 21.3 years for deadly DUI crash | wtsp.com

They have made alot stricter laws now on the people who drink and drive. It is not solving the problem tho. What they should do is ban alcohol. It is no different then drugs. Alcohol is a drug and an addiction. They should ban it completely. Then you will have less or no drunk drivers. I am dead set against drugs and alcohol.

Kewl, then the Drug lords will have a new product line. Perhaps we could invade Canada's and Mexico's distilleries. Then there's the breweries in England and all those wineries in France we can shut down. I'm totally against the manditory prohibition of any recreational substances. However, it is simply not responsible to get hammered and then get behind the wheel of a car. I'm all for harsh punishments for those who do.

Forum List

Back