What do you do for a living?

I'm a MacArthur Fellow. I received a grant to post on message boards.

I so deserve that job.

Of course, the moment I got it, I'd no longer enjoying writing on message boards, I expect.

I'm an educator by profession and professional medicant by happenstance.

I was planning on being a professional philanthropist, but shit happened.

let's see, I am a Shoe Maven.

Salesman, Manager, District Manager, Buyer, Advertising Director, General Merchandise Manager, on the Retail side,

and

On the Manufacturing side I am a Product Buyer, Product Development Manager and then Product Marketing Manager/Director.

Right now I am a stay at home wife, with a huge desire to be a Shoe Shop Owner on Maine Street in a busy, summer resort town like Bar Harbor....Where I work my buns off during the Spring, Summer and Fall and close the business in winter so I can live in Florida, during those months!

:D

Care

let's see, I am a Shoe Maven.

Salesman, Manager, District Manager, Buyer, Advertising Director, General Merchandise Manager, on the Retail side,

and

On the Manufacturing side I am a Product Buyer, Product Development Manager and then Product Marketing Manager/Director.

Right now I am a stay at home wife, with a huge desire to be a Shoe Shop Owner on Maine Street in a busy, summer resort town like Bar Harbor....Where I work my buns off during the Spring, Summer and Fall and close the business in winter so I can live in Florida, during those months!

:D

Care
Where in Florida Care?

I always find it interesting what people do for a living.

So what do you do?

I deal with risk management for large commerical risks at a company called Aon
I do very little these days.

Drove truck, bar tender, waitress (I was terrible at it) owned a small contracting company, artist, owned a mining operation at one point in life, artist, bought and repaired homes off and on through the years. Heavy equipment operator. Owned a carpet store or awhile also.

Last edited:
Where in Florida Care?

A town called Dunnellon, between Ocala and the Gulf of Mexico with Gainesville to the north, near my parents and sister.

We could also be happy doing the Tampa/ St.Pete route which is where my husband's roots and family are from...

And if I had my wish, and were a multi millionaire, a Beach home on Islamorada in the Keys, would be the ULTIMATE!

Does certified workaholic work as an answer?

yes.

And i have been there and done that...and am way beyond it at this point, only took 20 some years, but I have been heeled! lol

Happy new year Dis.

yes.

And i have been there and done that...and am way beyond it at this point, only took 20 some years, but I have been heeled! lol

Happy new year Dis.

What can I say.. I like *stuff*. :D

(And I've been certified by everyone EXCEPT a licensed professional. The nerve of some people....)

Happy New Year. :D

I've read all the responses and while y'all have pretty cool jobs, I have the only one so far (with the possible exception of drug dealer) that is so cool the minstrels sing it's praises:

Life is a highway Trucker video

Not technically an exclusive truckin song, but cool video.

[youtube]uviH9NyNXoQ[/youtube]

Drivin' My Life Away

[youtube]6cQ3_Gm6pXc&feature=related[/youtube]

Roll On Big Mama.

[youtube]cgwnbGSAPrw&feature=related[/youtube]

Roll On Down The Highway

[youtube]4LNH27s5ULE[/youtube]

Roll on 18 Wheeler

[youtube]vAst-EfsOa8&feature=related[/youtube]

convoy (Cover)

[youtube]YpsnzpVwnPw[/youtube]

NIGHTMARES OF TRUCKING

Compilation of truck and truck/car accidents.

[youtube]MxygoUW0KY0[/youtube]​

Last edited:
Self Employed Bricklayer/Stonemason or whatever else you want done.This recession is starting to bite here, we are suffering.

How the hell did you miss this one?

I have lots of OTR drivers in my family too.

[youtube]xnRwQjTYfGI[/youtube]

I am a Loss Prevention Agent\Investigator for a major retail company.

Basically I arrest the people who come in and steal. Also I investigate and prosecute the internal theft(Employees).

It's an awesome job, except for the fact that your putting your ass on the line for merchandise that isn't yours.

The thing that sucks about it is it is dangerous, espectially with the economy getting worse. I have had a gun and several knives pulled on me. I have also been jumped, hit, kicket, hit with objects and hurt. We arn't allowed to carry anything to protect ourselves with either. I only have a badge and handcuffs.

Although I do have to say that I've never had someone get away on me. :) I actually was in the crime blotter last week, I can post it if you guys want to see it.

I also have done event security for the past 12 years at a major events center.

I also am the Security Chief for several major fundraising events in my area, as I like to give back to the community.

I am also envolved with Hot August Nights.

I have had a gun and several knives pulled on me. I have also been jumped, hit, kicket, hit with objects and hurt.

Dude, that sucks! If you are not allowed to carry weapons for self defense, I hope at least the retailer has a budget for providing you with training in hand to hand.

Dude, that sucks! If you are not allowed to carry weapons for self defense, I hope at least the retailer has a budget for providing you with training in hand to hand.

They do provide you with training, but I already knew everything I needed to know as ive been doing this kinda thing for 12 years. Typically it doesn't go down to bad, you can normally get them to the ground and cuffed before anything bad happens. Up until recently there were almost no fights or wrestling matches, it would be once every few months. It would normally be the ones on parole or people with an extensive criminal history. I could almost always talk them back inside the store and even into handcuffs by just keeping them calm. Also I almost never used my handcuffs up until the last six months or so when the economy really started to tank.

We are also being hit by ORC(Organized Retail Crime) They come in and go out with a ton of stuff. Usually Alcohol, General Merchandice Products(Pharmacy, Makeup, Hair care, Razor Blades, baby formula etc) and Meat. They will come in usually atleast two people up to 6 or 7 and go out with full shopping baskets knowing the store employees arn't allowed to stop them. My largest stop was $2100.00 in liquor, thats a lot in a grocery store. That is also the guy who pulled the gun.

They do provide you with training, but I already knew everything I needed to know as ive been doing this kinda thing for 12 years. Typically it doesn't go down to bad, you can normally get them to the ground and cuffed before anything bad happens. Up until recently there were almost no fights or wrestling matches, it would be once every few months. It would normally be the ones on parole or people with an extensive criminal history. I could almost always talk them back inside the store and even into handcuffs by just keeping them calm. Also I almost never used my handcuffs up until the last six months or so when the economy really started to tank.

We are also being hit by ORC(Organized Retail Crime) They come in and go out with a ton of stuff. Usually Alcohol, General Merchandice Products(Pharmacy, Makeup, Hair care, Razor Blades, baby formula etc) and Meat. They will come in usually atleast two people up to 6 or 7 and go out with full shopping baskets knowing the store employees arn't allowed to stop them. My largest stop was $2100.00 in liquor, thats a lot in a grocery store. That is also the guy who pulled the gun.

The New Yorker had a very interesting article about your line of work a few months ago. I was very surprised to learn how extensive ORC has become. I also once worked at a place where employee theft was so rampant that I didn't see how the place managed to stay in business. So I do believe it when I read that employee theft is just as serious a problem as shoplifting is for retail businesses.

This winter I part timed as a taxi driver and quickly became adept at driving in circles and perfecting an exotic sounding accent. Borrowing a picture from a United Way poster for my family I garnered the highest tips of all drivers last month, United Way thanked me for the largest individual gift ever given by a cab driver, and I was nominated to the cabbie hall of fame.

Among my other accomplishments this year, I discovered the meaning of life, defined the characteristics of dumb luck, and improved suspender design. After hearing my yodeling women ask me to divorce my wife, children cry, and dogs bark in unison. I have made fireworks safe for children, cured ambiguity, and redesigned go go joints so everyone can see.

Last summer with just two weeks of practice I became an expert in rodeo, quickly taming the fiercest bull with lines from Shakespearean sonnets. One month I managed a space shuttle flight, refurbished toy soldiers, and lost more weight than Jared on my meatball and peanut butter diet. This allowed me to fulfill a dream to jockey in the Kentucky Derby.

With binoculars from the dollar store I discovered two new galaxies and my big toe is more accurate than the national weather service. I have studied the migration patterns of homing pigeons, calculated a leisurely drive to the closest solar system, and my advertising ideas have greatly improved tourism in Antarctica. But jeez, who am I to brag.

But are you happy?

Forum List

Back