What do you do for a living?

I'm a customer service representative. I mostly take escalated calls because I'm good at absorbing abuse and still sounding sweet. But I also do front line calls too, which is more fun because it's easier to help someone if they aren't already angry. :tongue:

I go to this large office complex owned by a Fortune 500 company and screw off all day. Then, every year, they reward my outlandish and unearned income with a bonus, stock options and annual pay increase usually coupled with a promotion.
I'm pretty sure it is because my female boss just wants to get into my pants.

You can't beat that!

Own a residential/commercial painting company, which is going VERY slowly right now in this economy.

Starting classes at Devry this coming month to train for a new career. Haven't decided between biomedical tech and electronic tech.

I have worked with some sharp people that graduated from DeVry.

So what kind of paint should I use for the outside of my house? It's an old house and I want to keep the original wood, but I don't want to paint it every 5 years.

I have worked with some sharp people that graduated from DeVry.

So what kind of paint should I use for the outside of my house? It's an old house and I want to keep the original wood, but I don't want to paint it every 5 years.

Out of my field, but I will say that my ex, who had over 300 people under him at AT&T said he'd rather have 3 guys from Devry than 15 from Northwestern or U of I. They knew what was what. He was and is an assh*le, but if not working under him, he is brilliant.

Own a residential/commercial painting company, which is going VERY slowly right now in this economy.

Starting classes at Devry this coming month to train for a new career. Haven't decided between biomedical tech and electronic tech.

I have an Associates Degree in Electrical Engineering, and I can tell you this, you better love math if you're thinking of taking that. It's intense. Math, Algebra, Calculus, Trigonometry, and Quadratics. You use it all... a LOT.

I was a commercial diver and fishermen for many years and a wanna be rock star..but as I have a young child again and need to be more 9 to 5 ..I have a 3 ton truck ( WITH 911 WAS AN INSIDE JOB IN GAINT LETTERS ON THE SIDE) that I do moves with and I work 4 days a week as a bank guard...strange but true...

Last edited:
I have an Associates Degree in Electrical Engineering, and I can tell you this, you better love math if you're thinking of taking that. It's intense. Math, Algebra, Calculus, Trigonometry, and Quadratics. You use it all... a LOT.

Can you do anything with that Associate's Degree? I'm not trying to mock you; I'm seriously asking.

I suppose it varies from field to field. I'll soon have an associate's degree in philosophy, specializing in ethics, and that doesn't mean jack shit in our field.

there was a little mad man that lived on this half sinking boat at fishermen's wharf
he lived off the state and dumpster dived etc..and on the wall of his boat with in a frame with broken glass.. hanging all crooked ..was his philosophy degree...

Can you do anything with that Associate's Degree? I'm not trying to mock you; I'm seriously asking.

I suppose it varies from field to field. I'll soon have an associate's degree in philosophy, specializing in ethics, and that doesn't mean jack shit in our field.

Actually the Associates in Electrical Engineering wouldn't have gotten me very far. Possibly a job testing circuits or some other menial, low paying, position. It did help though later on in different jobs, and certainly helps as I work now part time as an Electrician.

there was a little mad man that lived on this half sinking boat at fishermen's wharf
he lived off the state and dumpster dived etc..and on the wall of his boat with in a frame with broken glass.. hanging all crooked ..was his philosophy degree...
Past lover of yours?

See my previous post about my job.
I'm doing that on an associates degree.
The VP of our department doesn't have a degree at all (yeah, it really is a Fortune 500 company, but the whole part about her wanting to get into my pants is just a theory).

They open doors for people that have no work history.
Once you have a few proven successes (or failures) in a work environment, nothing else matters.

Tell the corporations that, really. They will dump someone with more experience and a proven track record for some moron with a degree who knows so little about what they are doing ... then they have to call me to deal with the fuck ups of the degree holder.

However I don't want the corps. to realize this really, it's great job security, but it would help the economy if they had some truly intelligent people working for them, but meh. Again, it's good for me that they keep hiring these morons, otherwise I would tell them myself.

I'm a MacArthur Fellow. I received a grant to post on message boards.

Forum List

Back