What Do You Cook For Someone

Liver and onions... I cook it up now and then for my wife but I quit eating that stuff when I got to big for my Mother to make me sit at the table until I ate everything on my plate. Yuck!

No shit. Yuck-o. Only way I can even swallow it is if it's a tiny piece of liver hidden amongst a giant spoon of onions, dunked in some gravy.

you just have not been fortunate enough to stumble across that southern delicacy, livermush
livermushbreakfast.jpg

Dis - How can you not like hot dogs????? If I was on death row hot dogs could be my last meal! I don't want to know what in them, but I like them alot...

I'll eat the all natural ones now.. Just hated them as a kid.. Maybe because they were so salty?

brewerboy - Yep. I got busted now and then too, especially when she suddenly appeared back in the dining room and the dog was still chewing... You know the old thing about starving kids in China, etc., etc. I recommended sending my liver and onions to one of those kids once. Like all mothers, she wasn't amused.

Haha, my mom gave me that speech one time when we had a bonfire in the fall and I made up some smores. I guess my eyes were bigger than my stomach cause I ate half and tossed it out.

I was just old enough to be a smartass so I said something to the effect of "I can fish it out of the trash and we'll box it up and send it their way then".

I got a lecture about being a smartass and was told "no more food tonight since you're obviously full" :lol:

Liver and onions... I cook it up now and then for my wife but I quit eating that stuff when I got to big for my Mother to make me sit at the table until I ate everything on my plate. Yuck!

No shit. Yuck-o. Only way I can even swallow it is if it's a tiny piece of liver hidden amongst a giant spoon of onions, dunked in some gravy.

you just have not been fortunate enough to stumble across that southern delicacy, livermush
livermushbreakfast.jpg

WTF is that?! :eek:

livermushbreakfast.jpg

Livermush (or Liver Mush or Liver Pudding) is a Southern United States foodstuff composed of pig liver, head parts, and cornmeal. It is commonly spiced with pepper and sage. Vaguely similar to scrapple, livermush was most likely brought south through the Appalachian mountains by German settlers from Philadelphia. Livermush is colloquially known as poor man's or poor boy's pâté.

Shelby, North Carolina hosts an annual Livermush Exposition, which began in 1987 to celebrate the unique delicacy. In that year the Cleveland County Commissioners and the Shelby City Council passed resolutions proclaiming that "livermush is the most delicious, most economical and most versatile of meats." Other towns in North Carolina that have livermush festivals include Drexel and Marion. Sonnys Grill in Blowing Rock, NC is famous for its livermush [1]

It is commonly prepared by cutting a slice off of a prepared loaf and frying it with grease in a skillet until golden brown, much like you would Spam. At breakfast it would be served alongside grits and eggs. For lunch it can be made into a sandwich with mayonnaise or mustard, either fried as above, or left cold. As livermush's popularity rises, it is appearing as a primary ingredient in dishes such as omelette and pizza."

Dis - Be careful... justabubba is trying to slip something in on us! Never heard of livermush. I must be fortunate. How would small lab animals feel about livermush?

livermushbreakfast.jpg

Livermush (or Liver Mush or Liver Pudding) is a Southern United States foodstuff composed of pig liver, head parts, and cornmeal. It is commonly spiced with pepper and sage. Vaguely similar to scrapple, livermush was most likely brought south through the Appalachian mountains by German settlers from Philadelphia. Livermush is colloquially known as poor man's or poor boy's pâté.

Shelby, North Carolina hosts an annual Livermush Exposition, which began in 1987 to celebrate the unique delicacy. In that year the Cleveland County Commissioners and the Shelby City Council passed resolutions proclaiming that "livermush is the most delicious, most economical and most versatile of meats." Other towns in North Carolina that have livermush festivals include Drexel and Marion. Sonnys Grill in Blowing Rock, NC is famous for its livermush [1]

It is commonly prepared by cutting a slice off of a prepared loaf and frying it with grease in a skillet until golden brown, much like you would Spam. At breakfast it would be served alongside grits and eggs. For lunch it can be made into a sandwich with mayonnaise or mustard, either fried as above, or left cold. As livermush's popularity rises, it is appearing as a primary ingredient in dishes such as omelette and pizza."

Sorry, dude.. You lost me right there.

justabubba - Thank goodness I never heard of that stuff around Rocky Mount! My Dad used to make headcheese and I thought that was pretty gross... Never ate that stuff. What's your connection to NC?

justabubba - Thank goodness I never heard of that stuff around Rocky Mount! My Dad used to make headcheese and I thought that was pretty gross... Never ate that stuff. What's your connection to NC?

charlotte locale
formerly of fayette'nam

livermush is not found much outside the upstate south carolina/charlotte metro area
beef hash is also something unique to this region ... served with slaw, fries and hushpuppies on a BBQ plate
bodacious

Sausages.

I'm with you on this. I can't stand breakfast sausage, but my guys like it, so I make it for them occasionally. I also make foods with pineapple, coconut, and banana in them sometimes, although I am allergic to all three and won't eat them. On holidays, I do a lot of baking for gifts, but my sugar intake is highly restricted, so it's not generally stuff I'm likely to eat. My husband seldom drinks, but when he does, he prefers mixed drinks with liqueurs in them. So I make him White Russians and such, but I can't drink them because of the aforementioned sugar issues.

justabubba - My ex-mother-in-law lived there in Hope Mills which is not far from Fayetteville. She died back in 1988 which was a good thing. This woman was so mean that at her funeral, the nicest thing the Preacher could say about her is "She sure is dead!" Now, about that good NC food. I really like that Carolina style bar-b-que like you get around Rocky Mount. Parker's Bar-B-Que has about as good as I've ever eaten. Up here in Northwestern Illinois if you order bar-b-que when you go out to eat you will most likely get something out of a can that looks alot like dog food... Leaves much to be desired.

Forum List

Back