What do we do with Poor People?

Problem: welfare causes people to be lazy, and they won't work.
Solution: end welfare and people will go to work.
Evidence: all those nations that do not have welfare programs have no unemployment and all are working and happy.

Republicans have solved another American problem. Next?

Would you rather help a poor man so he's comfortable in poverty, or help a poor man rise up from poverty?

What do we do with poor people you ask. Well, maybe those who lost their jobs in the Obama recession could cook and eat them. Just an option.

I prefer to do both

Provide a safety net and a means to improve your lot in life

That would be fine if so many welfare receipients didn't rely on it as a lifestyle rather than a temporary hand..
90% of all citizens who have received welfare have received it for less than 2-5 years....it's NOT the same people on it forever, as I had thought...but a flow of new people moving on and others moving off of it....so, unlike what I had though initially and what you are expressing now, it is not some kind of thing that one can be "permanently" on, it is TEMPORARY....at least at the federal level.

I prefer to do both

Provide a safety net and a means to improve your lot in life

That would be fine if so many welfare receipients didn't rely on it as a lifestyle rather than a temporary hand..
90% of all citizens who have received welfare have received it for less than 2-5 years....it's NOT the same people on it forever, as I had thought...but a flow of new people moving on and others moving off of it....so, unlike what I had though initially and what you are expressing now, it is not some kind of thing that one can be "permanently" on, it is TEMPORARY....at least at the federal level.

2 to 5 years?

That is not a helping hand. There are also people living off of disability who are completely fit to work. Nothing irritates me more than when I see someone using handicapped utilities that isn't truly in need of it. Our system is so large and out of control that policing it is near impossible.

2 to 5 years?

That is not a helping hand. There are also people living off of disability who are completely fit to work. Nothing irritates me more than when I see someone using handicapped utilities that isn't truly in need of it. Our system is so large and out of control that policing it is near impossible.
300 million people verses a handful of millions when we were first formed....

We could manage it without fraud, if we hired a bunch more people....but I assume that it would be more costly to hire more people to monitor it better than it is in the costs for those who commit the fraud, so they don't do it....???? I dunno.... I agree it is very frustrating to see or hear about the fraud that has been and is still being committed, but remember....bad news is what sells and is what gets people up in a rile over it....it sells more news....but the millions who have not committed fraud, or who are truly disabled, far far outweigh, those bad guys we see....

Only Christ on earth was perfect, all else fall short in one way or another....I suppose that's the same with government....

doesn't mean we can't try to improve our govt, in the best and most efficient, and cost effective way possible...

Last edited:
LOL - you think there's a version of poverty that people find comfortable.

This is a moronic topic.

Yes, apparently there is since some people stay on on welfare their whole life even though there are programs to help them:eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

Do you have proof of that happening now?

Yes, My sister has been on assistance her for life. And has no plans of working to better herself .. My brother also lives on welfare. has no plans on working sine he makes more money when his sits on his ass and receives welfare

The state of Georgia lets you stay on welfare for your entire life?

I thought that the state of Georgia was run by rethugs? Why would a Repub allow that (welfare for life) to happen? Because the fed program has a time limit.

And why do you allow that to happen? What is wrong with your brother and sister. Do they vote? Rethug?

Yes, apparently there is since some people stay on on welfare their whole life even though there are programs to help them:eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

Yes, My sister has been on assistance her for life. And has no plans of working to better herself .. My brother also lives on welfare. has no plans on working sine he makes more money when his sits on his ass and receives welfare

I have a hard time believing that, because I've examined the amounts people get on welfare and it is much less than someone would get working at a full time minimum wage job.

That said, I believe the minimum wage should be around the $11.00 per hour range and adjusted for inflation. I derived the number based on 2,000 hours per year earning enough to bring somebody to the poverty level, but the calculation was done in the past. I figured if the person wanted more than the poverty level, they could find a way to work more hours, but let's face it, a family needs the parents to do some work at home. Earning money is fine, but it's not the sole responsibility of one's life.

Now under that proposed new minimum wage, there would definitely be a motivation to not stay on welfare. I don't want people on social programs and I don't want them poor. If they are willing to work full time in a job that society needs, they should make enough money to support themselves. In a way, it's almost like we are subsidizing a business that is allowed to pay less than a living wage. The business should pay a living wage, adjust the price of it's goods and services and take the government and the American taxpayer out of the picture.

No doubt. My brother can't hold a job and frequently does cash only jobs while drawing welfare. Irritates the hell out of me.

I have a hard time believing that, because I've examined the amounts people get on welfare and it is much less than someone would get working at a full time minimum wage job.

That said, I believe the minimum wage should be around the $11.00 per hour range and adjusted for inflation. I derived the number based on 2,000 hours per year earning enough to bring somebody to the poverty level, but the calculation was done in the past. I figured if the person wanted more than the poverty level, they could find a way to work more hours, but let's face it, a family needs the parents to do some work at home. Earning money is fine, but it's not the sole responsibility of one's life.

Now under that proposed new minimum wage, there would definitely be a motivation to not stay on welfare. I don't want people on social programs and I don't want them poor. If they are willing to work full time in a job that society needs, they should make enough money to support themselves. In a way, it's almost like we are subsidizing a business that is allowed to pay less than a living wage. The business should pay a living wage, adjust the price of it's goods and services and take the government and the American taxpayer out of the picture.

Why is it so hard to believe? My brother has been abusing the system for as long as I can remember. I once offered him a job and he declined because he doesn't like the dust involved.money often times isn't the issue. Laziesness is

No doubt. My brother can't hold a job and frequently does cash only jobs while drawing welfare. Irritates the hell out of me.

The issue to be proven is the amount of welfare someone receives and how many people can stay on it for a long period of time.

Why is it so hard to believe? My brother has been abusing the system for as long as I can remember. I once offered him a job and he declined because he doesn't like the dust involved.money often times isn't the issue. Laziesness is

There is nothing wrong with a welfare system making people look for work and prove that they are doing so. The time to deal with it is when the economy is good.

Forum List

Back