What do we agree upon?

I imagine most of us agree that something needs to be done with healthcare in this country.

I doubt that we will come to an agreement as to what that something is.

Same thing with Social Security.

I believe abortion is wrong and ideally there would be none. I believe life is sacred and begins at conception.

I do not believe making abortion illegal will accomplish that goal... unfortunately.

I believe the government should get out of the marriage business in its entirety. I believe in civil unions for both straight and gay. Marriage is the realm of the church and the state should butt out.

I believe that we have the right to own weapons, but I have no problem with licensing and registration.

That is not all I believe but a good start.

Immie

I couldn't agree more about marriage.

Marriage isn't a right.

Damn you people are stupid!!!

One other thing I am conservative on is that illegal aliens have ZERO right to our social services.

I agree with this in principle, but in practice the vast majority of Americans wouldn't let a dog die on our front porch without trying to help it. I think extending that coutesy to illegal aliens is reasonable. Yes, they have broken the law and as a firm believer in the rule of law, I believe they deserve to face some consequences for that. I'm just not sure denying them access to ALL services is a reasonable consequence.

This is a thread to find things we agree upon and I hope it will be used in this fasion.......

I am pretty lib on most issues but I also have some strongly held conservative views....

I am for strong boarder control(all four of them).

I am opposed to gun control because I believe that law abiding citizens have the CONSTITUTIONAL right to bare arms.

I don't think you'll find any legal American disputing strong border control, liberal or conservative.

Gun control is one of those gray areas that really can't be "controlled" as there will always be ways for people to obtain them no matter what law(s) are in place. I don't, however, think it would be unreasonable for a person to prove why he might "need" say an AK-47 to go deer hunting. (Settle down, folks, it's just a hypothetical...)

I don't need my AK for deer hunting. I have it because I wanted it and the 2nd amendment gives me the right to have it.

Keep and Bear Arms - Gun Owners Home Page - 2nd Amendment Supporters

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
However I am a supporter of rights for gays/lesbians....

I think Bush and his illegal war was the worst mistake in our nations history....

I believe we need to fund alternative energy to the largest extent possible.

You homosexuals have the same rights as every other citizen. You can fuck each other enter into a civil union 'til you die. You just can't get "married" in the traditional sense of the word. Get over it already!

You mentioned four borders. I know of two, the southern (Mexico)and the northern (Canada), who else borders the US ?

First of all I am not gay, I am maried (to a woman) and we do have FOUR boards. N,S,E, and W. I didn't think that was too difficult a concept.

I imagine most of us agree that something needs to be done with healthcare in this country.

I believe abortion is wrong and ideally there would be none. I believe life is sacred and begins at conception.

I do not believe making abortion illegal will accomplish that goal... unfortunately.

I believe the government should get out of the marriage business in its entirety. I believe in civil unions for both straight and gay. Marriage is the realm of the church and the state should butt out.

I believe that we have the right to own weapons, but I have no problem with licensing and registration.

Immie

Marriage isn't a right.

Sorry Lone but "seperate but equal" was shot down by the SC.

I think Bush and his illegal war was the worst mistake in our nations history....

Rights, yes, gays should have all of them. As for marriage, I'm not so sure. If laws in the various states say they cannot marry, then laws need to be changed which allow gays to adopt children. When there is no universal "marriage" recognized from state to state, it's the children who might suffer when a couple splits up.

There really hasn't been a "legal" war since WWII. How the Iraq "regime change" was accomplished is a sad story we all know too well. A FUBAR, which cost us billions more than projected and the loss of many, many lives. I don't think Iraq will be any more secure than it was before we invaded simply by virtue of its geopolitical location. So until the nations in the region can finally be at peace with each other and respect each other's religions and ethnicities, the invasion of Iraq by the U.S. will remain a highly controversial subject as to whether or not it was all worth the effort.

I'm 100% behind full exploration of ALL alternative energy possibilities. That is not just necessary to wean ourselves from reliance on foreign oil, but it is where the future of American JOBS are. Manufacturing as we once knew it will never return, so we must now rely upon the entrepreneurial skills of our people and sell that to the rest of the world. And they will follow our lead. The problem with energy is how to transmit it over existing antiquated power grids. We can produce all the energy available by other sources, but if it can't reach our homes and businesses, it's useless.

Immie

Marriage isn't a right.

Did I say it was a right? Maybe you just did not read what I wrote?

I said, the government should get out of the marriage business.

However, as a matter of fact, marriage is a rite... it is a religious rite and belongs to the church. The government should get out of the marriage business. If the government wants to stick its hands in the family development pot, then let them do so with something like a civil union, but leave the rite of marriage to the church.

Immie

This is a thread to find things we agree upon and I hope it will be used in this fasion.......

I am pretty lib on most issues but I also have some strongly held conservative views....

I am for strong boarder control(all four of them).

I am opposed to gun control because I believe that law abiding citizens have the CONSTITUTIONAL right to bare arms.

I don't think you'll find any legal American disputing strong border control, liberal or conservative.

Gun control is one of those gray areas that really can't be "controlled" as there will always be ways for people to obtain them no matter what law(s) are in place. I don't, however, think it would be unreasonable for a person to prove why he might "need" say an AK-47 to go deer hunting. (Settle down, folks, it's just a hypothetical...)

I don't need my AK for deer hunting. I have it because I wanted it and the 2nd amendment gives me the right to have it.

Ah shaddap and quit being the spoiler, for once. This is a decent conversation going on.

I think the idea that the constitution protects the "right" to own an AK-47 is a very weak argument. Obviously a line has to be drawn somewhere - the constitution obviously doesn't give private citizens the "right" to arm themselves with a nuclear warhead. The question that remains is where folks want to draw that line.

You homosexuals have the same rights as every other citizen. You can fuck each other enter into a civil union 'til you die. You just can't get "married" in the traditional sense of the word. Get over it already!

You mentioned four borders. I know of two, the southern (Mexico)and the northern (Canada), who else borders the US ?

First of all I am not gay, I am maried (to a woman) and we do have FOUR boards. N,S,E, and W. I didn't think that was too difficult a concept.

Married huh? Maybe your wife can teach you how to spell.

For the sake of argument, what country borders our east and west?

I don't know where you're from but in Texas we spell borders;
B-o-r-d-e-r-s not b-o-a-r-d-s.

Marriage isn't a right.

However, as a matter of fact, marriage is a rite... it is a religious rite and belongs to the church. The government should get out of the marriage business. If the government wants to stick its hands in the family development pot, then let them do so with something like a civil union, but leave the rite of marriage to the church.

Immie

Yes I you said it right, I simply commented on the wrong post.

There was a post that said something along the line about homosexual marriage and equal rights. That was the post I meant to respond to.

My bad!

Ah shaddap and quit being the spoiler, for once. This is a decent conversation going on.

Explain to me why a person would have to explain the reason for owning an AK-47.

You brought the subject up. If you don't care to engage in a discussion then I suggest you stop posting altogether.

Marriage isn't a right.

Immie

Yes I you said it right, I simply commented on the wrong post.

There was a post that said something along the line about homosexual marriage and equal rights. That was the post I meant to respond to.

My bad!

No problem! I was just confused. I didn't think anyone could get the idea that I believed marriage was a right from anything I have ever said let alone that post. :lol:

Immie

I agree that we need REFORM. But I do not believe it should be government run. After all--we have seen how our federal has run their agencies. Social Security is bankrupt--Medicare is bankrupt & their lastest disaster which is ground zero for this current economic collapse that has cost taxpapers billions in bail-outs is Fannie/Freddie.

In my opinion the Federal Government could not operate a lemonaid stand without bankrupting it.

So my thoughts to fix health care--& making it afforable to all are:

1. Tort Reform--is a must do. Right now doctors are paying anywhere from $3k to 15k per month to insure themselves against mal-practice law suits.
2. Mandate that everyone has to be covered by medical insurance--& also has to pay for it themselves. This in itself will dramatically reduce costs to all.
3. Give tax incentives to medical insurance companies to provide insurance at afforable rates to people with pre-existing conditions.
4. Open the competition between state lines. Competition always lowers cost.
5. Finally we need to keep people with common colds out of our hospital emergency rooms--& other people who head to the doctors office for anything & everything including stubbed toes. Deter them from doing this by using medical saving accounts--that cannot be refunded to them at a later date--but will be used for medical services that they will certainly need as they age. If they head into the emergency room & or doctors office with ridiculous complaints--make them pay out of pocket for it. (It's unfortunate--but there are hundreds of thousands of people in this country that do that.)
6. Medical physicals--should be done once a year. Most cancers can be easily cured at much less cost if caught early. Mandate that the insurance companies pay for 100% of these yearly tests-& that these tests are required in order to maintain such insurance. Screenings for breast cancer--cervical cancer & for men prostrate cancer-& 5-10 year colonoscopies at required ages-- I would also suggest blood testing for high colesteral & other heart problems & diseases--again that can be taken care of at much less cost & to the obvious benefit of the patient.
7. FINALLY--let small business group together so they have the opportunity to cover their employees, at the same rates that large corporations get.

And I think just doing this would lower a family of 4 costs to around $150.00 per month--in which NO one could possibly complain about.

That's what I would do anyway.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
I find that very amusing coming from a guy/gal who, rather than admiting his/her own error, runs away from a thread.
What thread did I run from?

This from the first link you offered.

Quote:
In historical terms, the Democratic Party held a sizable lead over the Republicans in party identification.
This quote contradicts your claim that republicans have traditionally been more homogeneous than democrats.

On the contrary - that particular line neither supports nor refutes my claim. It merely says Democrats have historically ejoyed a sizable lead in reported party identification. THIS line includes absolutely nothing about the diversity of those identifying with a particular party. In that link there is a lengthy piece that does support my claim but perhaps not as strongly as the other links.

But I included several links, many of which do an even more extensive job of documenting diversity and party identification. so my point is very well supported.

Last edited:

If you were trying to respond to MY post, I talked about equal protection - not equal rights.

I find that very amusing coming from a guy/gal who, rather than admiting his/her own error, runs away from a thread.
What thread did I run from?

This from the first link you offered.

Quote:
In historical terms, the Democratic Party held a sizable lead over the Republicans in party identification.
This quote contradicts your claim that republicans have traditionally been more homogeneous than democrats.

On the contrary - that particular line neither supports nor refutes my claim. It merely says Democrats have historically ejoyed a sizable lead in reported party identification. THIS line includes absolutely nothing about the diversity of those identifying with a particular party. In that link there is a lengthy piece that does support my claim but perhaps not as strongly as the other links.

But I included several links, many of which do an even more extensive job of documenting diversity and party identification. so my point is very well supported.
[/QUOTE]

Spin it any way you want. The facts speaks for themselves.

You failed to prove your claim.

Forum List

Back