What do I tell my daughter-in-law who immigrated LEGALLY?

I once went on a journey up and down the California central valley in search of the best Mexican bar food in California. We stopped at every little dingy town we ran into. I have no idea as to how you would get American workers to move to those areas and live in those shacks the Mexicans live in.

I remember reading Steinbeck's books about the depression era. The people that came to California from other states lived in adverse conditions and would do almost anything for a buck, just like today's illegals. I think it was in Steinbeck's Cannery row, where one white family lived in an old boiler out in a field. White American's are really only a few generations removed from those times. Some jurisdictions even set up road blocks to stop the "illegals" coming in from mid western states that had dust bowl conditions back home.
Thankfully, no American citizen needs to live like that. Yes, I know if we just did away with minimum wage, food stamps, welfare, Medicaid, and those other social programs, no American would turn down any job. America would be fully employed, but I what cost.

No one that comes to this country illegally should expect to enjoy all the privileges of a citizens. However, they should be able to earn those privileges.

They can earn them by following the legal process which starts in their own countries not on our soil after entering illegally.
Current immigration laws make it nearly impossible for most Mexicans to legally immigrate unless they have family in the US that are citizens.

The fact is about half of the illegal immigrants in the US entered the country legally; they just never left.

I once went on a journey up and down the California central valley in search of the best Mexican bar food in California. We stopped at every little dingy town we ran into. I have no idea as to how you would get American workers to move to those areas and live in those shacks the Mexicans live in.

I remember reading Steinbeck's books about the depression era. The people that came to California from other states lived in adverse conditions and would do almost anything for a buck, just like today's illegals. I think it was in Steinbeck's Cannery row, where one white family lived in an old boiler out in a field. White American's are really only a few generations removed from those times. Some jurisdictions even set up road blocks to stop the "illegals" coming in from mid western states that had dust bowl conditions back home.
Thankfully, no American citizen needs to live like that. Yes, I know if we just did away with minimum wage, food stamps, welfare, Medicaid, and those other social programs, no American would turn down any job. America would be fully employed, but I what cost.

No one that comes to this country illegally should expect to enjoy all the privileges of a citizens. However, they should be able to earn those privileges.

They can earn them by following the legal process which starts in their own countries not on our soil after entering illegally.
Current immigration laws make it nearly impossible for most Mexicans to legally immigrate unless they have family in the US that are citizens.

The fact is about half of the illegal immigrants in the US entered the country legally; they just never left.

Really? Then why do Mexicans hold the highest quotas for legal immigration into our country? Doesn't matter anyway as we cannot allow them all to come here. What makes Mexicans so special anyway? What happened to diversity?

No, 40% are visa over stayers. The other 60% never entered legally in the first place.

You do what some farmers have had to do, pay $18/hr. However, even when farmers pay higher wages, they still can't get enough labor for many jobs. The only way you would fill the fields with Americans picking and loading crops at 100+ temperatures is if starvation was the alternative.

There are unlimited H-2 visas for legal, foreign ag workers but some of the greedy growers refuse to use them because they can increase their profits by using illegal aliens instead. There is no reason based on that that they don't have enough workers even though most Americans won't pick crops for a living. If these illegals were truly starving you don't think they'd jump at the chance to pick crops legally with these visas? I am simply amazed at how uninformed you and many others in here are and using your lack of knowledge to justify illegal immigration into our country. These greedy growers pass the social costs of the illegal aliens they use unto we the taxpayer .If they used the visas instead there would be no shortage of workers and the growers themselves would be responsible for their social costs.
Greed?

The re

Really? Then why do Mexicans hold the highest quotas for legal immigration into our country? Doesn't matter anyway as we cannot allow them all to come here. What makes Mexicans so special anyway? What happened to diversity?

No, 40% are visa over stayers. The other 60% never entered legally in the first place.
The country quota system was abolished 50 years ago. It was replaced with a per country limit which is a flexible limit. What makes Mexico and other Latin American countries special is that Hispanic and Latinos number 56 million in the US, the largest ethnic minority. 1.5 billion dollars in goods flows across the boarder each day. This creates a huge demand for fast easy travel across the boarder which has resulted in 350 million boarder crossing a year.

The way to control illegal immigration is not to increase enforcement at the boarder crossings and ports of entry but to reduce the incentive to come here. We need to make it harder for illegal immigrants to work in the US by increasing employer penalties and providing a better method of identification. We need to publicize the fact that; jobs are not easy to find, there is no free food program for illegal immigrants, free healthcare, or free housing.

You do what some farmers have had to do, pay $18/hr. However, even when farmers pay higher wages, they still can't get enough labor for many jobs. The only way you would fill the fields with Americans picking and loading crops at 100+ temperatures is if starvation was the alternative.

There are unlimited H-2 visas for legal, foreign ag workers but some of the greedy growers refuse to use them because they can increase their profits by using illegal aliens instead. There is no reason based on that that they don't have enough workers even though most Americans won't pick crops for a living. If these illegals were truly starving you don't think they'd jump at the chance to pick crops legally with these visas? I am simply amazed at how uninformed you and many others in here are and using your lack of knowledge to justify illegal immigration into our country. These greedy growers pass the social costs of the illegal aliens they use unto we the taxpayer .If they used the visas instead there would be no shortage of workers and the growers themselves would be responsible for their social costs.
Greed?

The re

The country quota system was abolished 50 years ago. It was replaced with a per country limit which is a flexible limit. What makes Mexico and other Latin American countries special is that Hispanic and Latinos number 56 million in the US, the largest ethnic minority. 1.5 billion dollars in goods flows across the boarder each day. This creates a huge demand for fast easy travel across the boarder which has resulted in 350 million boarder crossing a year.

The way to control illegal immigration is not to increase enforcement at the boarder crossings and ports of entry but to reduce the incentive to come here. We need to make it harder for illegal immigrants to work in the US by increasing employer penalties and providing a better method of identification. We need to publicize the fact that; jobs are not easy to find, there is no free food program for illegal immigrants, free healthcare, or free housing.

What has business with Mexico at the border have to do with allowing them to come here and live and work here more than any other country's citizens? If you want to go by ethnic origin in this country there are far more from European roots here than from south of our border residing here.

We need to couple border security along with removing the incentives for illegals to come here. Terrorists and criminals aren't looking for jobs and benefits. We need to end birthright citizenship for their kids also because that is how they attain free healthcare, housing and food.

Greed?

The re

What has business with Mexico at the border have to do with allowing them to come here and live and work here more than any other country's citizens? If you want to go by ethnic origin in this country there are far more from European roots here than from south of our border residing here.

We need to couple border security along with removing the incentives for illegals to come here. Terrorists and criminals aren't looking for jobs and benefits. We need to end birthright citizenship for their kids also because that is how they attain free healthcare, housing and food.
The business we do with Mexico, the demand for cheap Mexican labor, tourism, and American Latinos and their families create a huge volume of traffic between the two countries. The more traffic, the more opportunities there are to enter the country illegally. Immigration officials usually spend only seconds with each vehicle or individual. When two countries are bound together as closely as the US and Mexico, large scale migration is inevitable. If laws, regulations, and enforcement are realist then it will legal.

Europe, that is the EU is a US Visa free zone. Unlike Mexico you can travel to the US stay up to 90 days with nothing but a passport. Getting a work permit is also pretty easy as long your US employer initiates the paper work. If you want a green card, just enter the US with your passport, find an employer that will process immigration paperwork, make application, and you'll probably have a green card in matter of months not years.

Last edited:
She came from Ukraine. She followed every rule and regulation. She paid lawyers fees, studied hard and took the oath of citizenship. And she is very very upset with "stupidity of American voters" that put into office
a President who obviously rewards lawbreakers i.e. illegal immigrants.

She loved America for giving her opportunities she didn't have in Ukraine.
But today she doesn't understand why the rules applied to her are now being thrown aside for people that
broke the laws.
Why are illegal activities being rewarded?
When law abiding citizens see lawlessness being rewarded ...hey.. why should the rest of us abide by
any laws?
You tell her that 79% of Americans want illegals to be granted a path to citizenship or legal status. You tell her the People have spoken.

It's funny how the Right screams about how we must listen to the Will of the People™ when it comes to things like not letting homos file joint tax returns. But then they want to ignore four out of five Americans when it comes to granting Mexicans legal status.

Hmmm. Do you see a pattern here? When it comes to oppressing minorities, the new Right is incredibly consistent, even if they have to be inconsistent and hypocritical in their rhetoric.

Tell her no such thing. 79% of Americans don't approve of open borders and illegals pouring into this country. Tell her not to believe the bullshit, that our immigration policy is broken and needs "fixed".
We have always welcomed people from other countries. The procedure has worked from the beginning, and it worked for her. What is happening now is a desperate attempt to weaken this country. Tell her you are proud of her for doing it right. Tell her not to believe the "oppressing minorities" garbage the media is spewing.
At one time, she was one of those minorities, and was welcomed.
Our immigration laws aren't broken. Our border is.

Greed?

The re

The business we do with Mexico, the demand for cheap Mexican labor, tourism, and American Latinos and their families create a huge volume of traffic between the two countries. The more traffic, the more opportunities there are to enter the country illegally. Immigration officials usually spend only seconds with each vehicle or individual. When two countries are bound together as closely as the US and Mexico, large scale migration is inevitable. If laws, regulations, and enforcement are realist then it will legal.

Europe, that is the EU is a US Visa free zone. Unlike Mexico you can travel to the US stay up to 90 days with nothing but a passport. Getting a work permit is also pretty easy as long your US employer initiates the paper work. If you want a green card, just enter the US with your passport, find an employer that will process immigration paperwork, make application, and you'll probably have a green card in matter of months not years.

Again, just because we do business with Mexico shouldn't entitle them to live and work here more than any other country's citizens. They aren't even satisfied with that as they are here by far in the largest numbers illegally also.

Forum List

Back