What do Canadians think?

Well it's no secret that most of Canada wanted Kerry to win, myself included, but we do not vote for US politicians. Americans have democratically spoken both in term of electoral and popular vote. Democracy has been justly served.

I hope the next 4 years with President Bush will be more fruitful diplomatically and economically than the last 4 with Canada. Neither nation would want a throwback to LBJ/Nixon days.

I hope the US administration under Bush will:
- Re-open the border to Canadian beef
- Stop harassing the CWB after the WTO has already ruled
- Find a better compromise to Canadian sovereignty and immigration
- Stop ANWAR drilling
- Will abandon plans for missle defence with Canada as part of the shield
- Stop overfishing salmon joint waters off the west coast
- Recognize Canadian claims in the Arctic

I hope the Canadian administration under Martin will:
- Stop having high level bureaucrats and MP's verbally accost Bush and the US
- Understand that the US is right on stumping fees for softwood lumber
- Be more clear into Canadian positions on foreign policy
- Improve and reform the military to actually be an asset for our allies
- Integrate intelligence institutions with the US

One can only hope for ties as strong as they were with Regan-Bush/Mulroney and Chretien/Clinton.

Isaac,
I can say I had hoped for Kerry win but alas it is not to be. What we can expct is more of the same. Bush has never liked Canada and that won't change. Yes our government should quit insulting him in public. He should get the hell out of Iraq for starters.

Wolfe said:
Isaac,
I can say I had hoped for Kerry win but alas it is not to be. What we can expct is more of the same. Bush has never liked Canada and tha won't change. Yes our governmebt should quit insulting him in public. He should get the hell out of Iraq for starters.

Parrish is not the entire government.

Wolfe said:
Isaac,
I can say I had hoped for Kerry win but alas it is not to be. What we can expct is more of the same. Bush has never liked Canada and tha won't change. Yes our governmebt should quit insulting him in public. He should get the hell out of Iraq for starters.

We shall see. Though Canada needs the US more than the US needs Canada, the economic performance of the US is directly influenced by its relations with Canada. It is in everyone's best interest to have good relations, but there is always a cost.

Isaac Brock said:
We shall see. Though Canada needs the US more than the US needs Canada, the economic performance of the US is directly influenced by its relations with Canada. It is in everyone's best interest to have good relations, but there is always a cost.

I'm all for helping and working with America, as long as it does not compromise our ideals.

I don't think things between Bush and Martin will get too warm. They are of different molds. Regan/Mulroney, both conservatives, Clinton/Chretien, both liberal, Bush/Martin, one mean martini.

MrMarbles said:
I'm all for helping and working with America, as long as it does not compromise our ideals.

I don't think things between Bush and Martin will get too warm. They are of different molds. Regan/Mulroney, both conservatives, Clinton/Chretien, both liberal, Bush/Martin, one mean martini.

I don't know, Martin and Bush may be a better match then Chretien/Bush. I think Martin will prove to be little more right leaning than we may think.I guess we'll see over the next few months exactly how well they are going to work together.

Isaac Brock said:
Well it's no secret that most of Canada wanted Kerry to win, myself included, but we do not vote for US politicians. Americans have democratically spoken both in term of electoral and popular vote. Democracy has been justly served.

I hope the next 4 years with President Bush will be more fruitful diplomatically and economically than the last 4 with Canada. Neither nation would want a throwback to LBJ/Nixon days.

I hope the US administration under Bush will:
- Re-open the border to Canadian beef
- Stop harassing the CWB after the WTO has already ruled
- Find a better compromise to Canadian sovereignty and immigration
- Stop ANWAR drilling
- Will abandon plans for missle defence with Canada as part of the shield
- Stop overfishing salmon joint waters off the west coast
- Recognize Canadian claims in the Arctic

I hope the Canadian administration under Martin will:
- Stop having high level bureaucrats and MP's verbally accost Bush and the US
- Understand that the US is right on stumping fees for softwood lumber
- Be more clear into Canadian positions on foreign policy
- Improve and reform the military to actually be an asset for our allies
- Integrate intelligence institutions with the US

One can only hope for ties as strong as they were with Regan-Bush/Mulroney and Chretien/Clinton.

Isaac, I'll have to admit ignorance on a couple of these. Specifically, what Arctic claims is the US not recognizing? And what are the problems between the US and Canada regarding immigration, other than our borders being too open?
And, just so you know, we never started drilling in ANWR.
All things said, though, the US has no more natural ally than Canada. I hope our two countries always look for ways to help each other.

gop_jeff said:
Isaac, I'll have to admit ignorance on a couple of these. Specifically, what Arctic claims is the US not recognizing? And what are the problems between the US and Canada regarding immigration, other than our borders being too open?
And, just so you know, we never started drilling in ANWR.
All things said, though, the US has no more natural ally than Canada. I hope our two countries always look for ways to help each other.

And even if we were drilling in ANWAR, how does that affect Canada? You guys have your own oil wells in Artic regions, so why can't we???????

MrMarbles said:
What do the Canadians on this board think of the result of the elections in the US? What does and will this mean to us?

Well, I know of one that instantly became suicidal... :)

Said1 said:
I was kidding, sorta like "Do you know Bob from the states? He's American". :D

Well, ya forgot the smiley face, and since I'm (still) on the phone with the phone company over a damn email problem, I'm a bit testy (to say the least). :D

Grrrrrrrrr.

She mentioned something about getting drunk and jumping off a roof... But, she tends to overreact like that...

Shattered said:
Well, ya forgot the smiley face, and since I'm (still) on the phone with the phone company over a damn email problem, I'm a bit testy (to say the least). :D

Grrrrrrrrr.

She mentioned something about getting drunk and jumping off a roof... But, she tends to overreact like that...

:beer:

Said1 said:

Gee..can I interest you in a front row seat? (You have to pay in US funds, tho - Canadian money ain't worth squat. :D)

udaman.gif

(You have to be male for a minute)

Forum List

Back