What distinguished the Great Depression

Was FDR's inability to end record unemployment through record spending for years on end.

How is this any different from now?

WWII was the biggest government spending program in American history. We're told that WWII brought us out of the Depression.

Therefore, a massive government spending program, with borrowed money, ended the depression.

What was your point again?

Was FDR's inability to end record unemployment through record spending for years on end.

WWII was the biggest government spending program in American history. We're told that WWII brought us out of the Depression.

Therefore, a massive government spending program, with borrowed money, ended the depression.

What the fuck was the "New Deal"?

According to some, it was WWII that took us out of the Great Depression.

We've been at war now for over eight years.

Where's our War Dividend?

More Americans died landing in Africa facing the Vichy French than died in the first YEARS of WOT. It's a whole different scale and scope, but then you already knew that.

A government stimulus program that apparently wasn't BIG enough to do the job. Whatever else WWII was, it was a gigantic stimulus package.

Whether you are for or against stimulus, if you believe that it was WWII that brought us out of the Depression, then you have to concede that the government borrowing money to stimulate the economy CAN work.

Of course we paid off the WWII borrowing.

Ironically, Reagan did the same thing on a smaller scale in the '80s. A big military buildup, with borrowed money, that stimulated the economy. Of course we never paid that off.

A government stimulus program that apparently wasn't BIG enough to do the job. Whatever else WWII was, it was a gigantic stimulus package.

Whether you are for or against stimulus, if you believe that it was WWII that brought us out of the Depression, then you have to concede that the government borrowing money to stimulate the economy CAN work.

Of course we paid off the WWII borrowing.

Ironically, Reagan did the same thing on a smaller scale in the '80s. A big military buildup, with borrowed money, that stimulated the economy. Of course we never paid that off.

Read just 2 paragraphs so you won't be so terminally ignorant.

"The economic situation in 1920 was grim. By that year unemployment had jumped from 4 percent to nearly 12 percent, and GNP declined 17 percent. No wonder, then, that Secretary of Commerce Herbert Hoover—falsely characterized as a supporter of laissez-faire economics—urged President Harding to consider an array of interventions to turn the economy around. Hoover was ignored.

Instead of “fiscal stimulus,” Harding cut the government’s budget nearly in half between 1920 and 1922. The rest of Harding’s approach was equally laissez-faire. Tax rates were slashed for all income groups. The national debt was reduced by one-third. The Federal Reserve’s activity, moreover, was hardly noticeable. As one economic historian puts it, “Despite the severity of the contraction, the Fed did not move to use its powers to turn the money supply around and fight the contraction.” 2 By the late summer of 1921, signs of recovery were already visible. The following year, unemployment was back down to 6.7 percent and was only 2.4 percent by 1923."

First Principles - Warren Harding and the Forgotten Depression of 1920

More Americans died landing in Africa facing the Vichy French than died in the first YEARS of WOT. It's a whole different scale and scope, but then you already knew that.

But we've been at it for twice as long.

I think we're getting screwed.

Wow.. You people need a history lesson.. WWII got us out of the great depression and FDR did help..

If you all care to actually look up facts.. The unemployment rate shrank every year he was in office.. To an all time low of 1.9% in 1945 at the peak of WWII.. His first year in office saw the unemployment rate drop by over 3%..
While I am not going to say that all of FDR's policies were good.. I am not going to attempt to rewrite history and say he is the reason the depression was longer than it was..

The bottom line is this.. FDR and WWII ended the great depression and those are the facts..

Line in bold...

Ya think that had to do with 10's of thousands of men being deemed no longer unemployed as they were in uniuform fighting a war? Do ya think it has anything to do with the 10's of thousands of women who became employed as they manufactured rubber goods and military equipment?

Gee....ya think?

Obama needs to get us into a major shooting war involving tens of millions of people...ok

But we've been at it for twice as long.

I think we're getting screwed.

This war was entered with not nearly as much manpower necessary for the manufacturing of military equipment.

Like someone said earlier...in the 40's it took a thousand men to work on a road.....now it takes 20 men.

We've lost our labor intensive industries that used to pay decent money. That's the difference. When your economy picks up and people need or want to buy more goods, it matters who builds the goods.

We've lost our labor intensive industries that used to pay decent money. That's the difference. When your economy picks up and people need or want to buy more goods, it matters who builds the goods.

So you dont see it that there has been a dramatic change in technology as a reason? I mean, basic logic NYc.....in the 40's, military meals were prepared state side by non military employees....now they are prepared on the front by military.....just as an example....and a very minor one.

Our labor intensive industries becoming extinct while our population continues to grow.

Talk about your recipe for disaster.

quote=crusaderfrank;2105345]what distinguished the great depression?

fdr going on television....[/quote]

lmao

Below is a list showing when U.S. states and territories, and Canadian provinces and territories, established their first commercially licensed television stations.

Alabama (1949)
Alberta (1954)
Territory of Alaska (1953)
American Samoa (1964)
Arizona (1949)
Arkansas (1953)
British Columbia (1953)
California (1947)
Colorado (1952)
Connecticut (1948)
Delaware (1949)
Florida (1949)
Georgia (1948)
Guam (1956)
Territory of Hawaii (1952)
Idaho (1953)
Illinois (1943)
Indiana (1949)
Iowa (1949)
Kansas (1953)
Kentucky (1948)
Louisiana (1948)
Maine (1953)
Manitoba (1954)
Maryland (1947)
Massachusetts (1947)
Michigan (1947)
Minnesota (1948)
Mississippi (1953)
Missouri (1947)
Montana (1953)
Nebraska (1949)
Nevada (1953)
New Brunswick (1954)
New Hampshire (1954)
New Jersey (1948)
New Mexico (1948)
New York (1941)
Newfoundland (1955)
North Carolina (1949)
North Dakota (1953)
Northwest Territories (1967)
Nunavut (1972)
Nova Scotia (1954)
Ohio (1943)
Oklahoma (1949)
Ontario (1952)
Oregon (1952)
Pennsylvania (1941)
Prince Edward Island (1955)
Puerto Rico (1954)
Quebec (1952)
Rhode Island (1949)
Saskatchewan (1954)
South Carolina (1953)
South Dakota (1953)
Tennessee (1948)
Texas (1948)
Utah (1948)
Vermont (1954)
Virginia (1947)
U.S. Virgin Islands (1961)
Washington (1948)
Washington, D.C. (1945)
West Virginia (1949)
Wisconsin (1947)
Wyoming (1954)
Yukon (1968

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_television#Broadcast_television

Last edited:

Our labor intensive industries becoming extinct while our population continues to grow.

In my parents' generation, the one-earner household in the middle/working class was commonplace. Today, the two-earner household in the same stratum is commonplace. That alone is the best measure of America's economic decline.

In my parents' generation, the one-earner household in the middle/working class was commonplace. Today, the two-earner household in the same stratum is commonplace. That alone is the best measure of America's economic decline.

Yup.

My mother never worked until my brother and I were in high school and then only because she was bored with staying home.

Neither of my parents had high school diplomas and yet we had all the trappings of the American Dream - the house, the car, the TV, and the two-week vacation in the Summer.

Yup.

My mother never worked until my brother and I were in high school and then only because she was bored with staying home.

Neither of my parents had high school diplomas and yet we had all the trappings of the American Dream - the house, the car, the TV, and the two-week vacation in the Summer.

And tragically that transformative decline has happened so completely that most people nowadays don't even think twice about it. The two-earner household took ahold in the course of a couple generations and now it's 'normal'. And, ironically, it may be the most insidious, pernicious destroyer of 'family values' that is out there.

This is why the cons HATE college educated people and higher education.

Too many of these people KNOW history and it makes it hard for them to rewrite it.

FDR was BELOVED by the American people at the time because the New Deal DID work.

In 1937 he tried to back off the spending and balence the budget, the economy tanked!

He then reupped the new deal and the recovery continued, then the we entered the war creating even MORE jobs.

How dishonest are the cons? VERY

This is why the cons HATE college educated people and higher education.

Too many of these people KNOW history and it makes it hard for them to rewrite it.

FDR was BELOVED by the American people at the time because the New Deal DID work.

In 1937 he tried to back off the spending and balence the budget, the economy tanked!

He then reupped the new deal and the recovery continued, then the we entered the war creating even MORE jobs.

How dishonest are the cons? VERY

FDR was responsible for an economy worse than the 7 Biblical lean years, he's not my hero. Never was, never will be.

Forum List

Back