what did pvt manning really do or reveal?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by strollingbones, Dec 19, 2010.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    is pvt manning a whistle blower or spy? the information he revealed was somewhat outdated as most of it was from 2004 to 2009.
    much of it...is information the american public should have. ie. the reality of the war for the ground troops, the reality of the nature of the paki government and how they are helping terrorist ...

how was he able to convey this many documents without anyone noticing...are the controls of said documents that lax?

are these documents really a blow to nation security? do they place anyone in harms way?

step up to the soapbox and say your piece about what you think of these leaked documents and the man or men who did it? not personal attacks on them..but their motives etc.

2. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    dont derail the thread...i am serious i want to hear what people think and the reasons they think that

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Manning was placed in a position of trust, and swore to defend the Constitution of the United States. He broke that trust, stole our secrets and passed them to a third party who made that information public. He is a traitor in all but official definition. And, he didn't do it because he had some passionate belief in a cause... he did it because his boyfriend dumped him and he was emotionally unstable. Fuck him. Once the formalities are over, he can rot in jail... and then in hell.

4. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    By stark contrast, WikiLeaks isn't interested in helping governments, militaries and corporations keep secrets. They're interested in the opposite: forcing transparency on institutions which conduct the vast, vast bulk of their substantive conduct in the dark. They're not susceptible to pressure from political and corporate officials; rather, they want to hold them accountable. That's what makes WikiLeaks so uniquely threatening to elite institutions, and anyone who doubts that should simply read the 2008 Pentagon Report discussing ways to destroy it, or review the Obama administration's unprecedented and rapidly escalating war on whistle-blowers generally.

The strange and consequential case of Bradley Manning, Adrian Lamo and WikiLeaks - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

very interesting read

5. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I tend to form my own opinions, I don't need other people to form them for me so your 'very interesting read' is of no real interest to me.

WikiLeaks is just a bunch of hacks whose only interest is self promotion. Assange is a proven liar (see his claim to have broken the 'climate gate emails'... that's total bullshit), he's not a journalist, he's not doing this for the greater good, he's just an ego-maniac. I hope the DoJ is serious in its pursuit of Assange... and I hope he stands trial for his crime. Because stealing government information is a crime. Whether you like it or not is of no consequence.

6. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295
    I keep seeing people say there was nothing too revealing in these cables and the info is stuff we have a right to know....Sure, that's fine if WeepyLeaks wants to go around the world and gather their own intelligence, but there is no "right" STEAL our national intelligence or to publish intelligence that has been STOLEN from us. So far we are lucky nothing more dangerous has been leaked, but I agree that these leaks have harmed our national diplomacy which can appear less dangerous on the immediate surface, but none of us knows just how it will effect things going forward either...

Bradley Manning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[/QUOTE]

7. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    cg if you dont want to read something that is fine...has nothing to do with forming an opinion simply asking others for their opinions on this issue...after all isnt that what a message board is made up of...others expressing their opinions?

8. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    does wikileaks exist due to the governments own lies? jessica lynch and pat tillman come to mind...does anyone really trust the government's information anymore?

9. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,245
    Just the governments information? :eusa_eh:

10. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870