What did Paul mean by saying:

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. (Phil 2:12)

I've been pondering some things about God's covenants and in my studies Ive come across that scripture multiple times. I thought Id ask in general what it means. Perhaps the Spirit will enlighten to conversation and we will all have a better understanding of what Paul meant.

12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. (Phil 2:12)

I've been pondering some things about God's covenants and in my studies Ive come across that scripture multiple times. I thought Id ask in general what it means. Perhaps the Spirit will enlighten to conversation and we will all have a better understanding of what Paul meant.

Its meaning can not be discerned out of context. One would need to read the entire chapter and perhaps the book. You should know that. as for its meaning pray for an answer.

Hi Avatar:

This is a very good question that confuses many professing Christians. First of all, the members of Christ's Body are saved by God's grace through faith apart from works, as it is written:

"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them." Ephesians 2:8-10.
Our salvation is the free gift of God, but we are created in Christ Jesus 'for good works,' which is the focus of Paul's statements to the Philippians above. We cannot be judged for sin, because that was settled at Calvary; as our sin was placed upon Him who knew no sin. 2Cor. 5:21. However, we are judged on whether our works are good or bad for rewards (1Cor. 3:10-12):

"According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it. For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each man's work* will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work*. If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. If any man's work* is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire." 1Cor. 3:10-15.

"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad." 2Cor. 5:10.
Now that you are saved, be careful about how you work out that salvation; because your heavenly rewards are at stake. ;0)

I do Terral's Bible Study every Sunday at 1-3PM Eastern Time at I AM Consciousness Radio

In Christ Jesus,

Terral
Terrals 2012 Research

I agree with Terral, I think...

I'm expanding my understanding of salvation...it has taken years and years, but things are still being revealed to me.

And one of them is that although anyone who accepts the gift of salvation is saved, we will STILL be judged and gifts will be meted out accordingly. We will all be with God in heaven, as those saved by Grace...but we will (I think) be ranked and rewarded according to our earthly walk, aside from salvation.

Our sins are forgiven and we will attain heaven...

but we will still have to account for our behavior after our salvation.

I think that's what Paul was saying. So while we all should be joyous over our salvation...we will still have to answer for our sins, particularly those that we accrue AFTER we are saved.

I am looking at Avatars avatar...and I am thinking she is being abducted by aliens. Some one call 911.

Forum List

Back