What decade had the best music?

To me, some of the best country music was made in both the 1980s and 1990s.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
The late 80's and 90's were a great time for country music, just look at musicians like Garth Brooks and Shania Twain's record sales and hits that blew up the billboard charts. My favorite song from that era is a simple one that has a deeper meaning that isn't all roses but makes me happy when I hear it:

60s.

TheBeatles.jpg

'nuff said.

I'm going to likely upset everyone! I believe the best overall decade was the 1950's. I believe this because I was a small child then and well remember the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. The reason I feel the 50's was the best decade was because of the end of World War II a lot of technical advances appeared and sound recording was no exception. HiFidelity and Stereo both appeared as did 33 1/3 rpm and 45's.

As a result there was a reawakening of classical music. Unfortunately much of the music of the 40's, 30's, 20's etc., was stored away or lost; however, people were then listening to EVERYTHING and the radio programs included a combination or easy listening, rock-a-billy, movie themes, pop, rock'n roll, jazz, funny and band music...

There was seemingly and endless variety of music found even during one program. Debbie Reynolds, Doris Day, Johnny Mathis, Elvis, Bill Haley, Nat King Cole, and even David Rose and his Orchestra might be played on the very same network. It all depended on what listeners requested or what might be considered the neatest and latest sound.

The music was happy, sad, lovely, patriotic, wild and neatto --- real cool man... There were bands, groups, trios, duets, choral, orchestrated, and crooners. The 50's had it all and in good measure. As an example, here is how 1950 started out.

I was born in the 50s so couldn't really say about the music first hand BUT I frequently listen to 50s songs. And you are correct; the variety was incredible.

Greg

New Topics

Forum List

Back