What could replace the Republican Party?

These 20 parties would have to form a coalition around larger ideas and then compete with the other large coalition of counter ideas and ideals.

Interesting point. If the Republican Party were suddenly gone, what kind of party system do you think might replace it? There is no right or wrong here.

These 20 parties would have to form a coalition around larger ideas and then compete with the other large coalition of counter ideas and ideals.

Interesting point. If the Republican Party were suddenly gone, what kind of party system do you think might replace it? There is no right or wrong here.

a number of 'Republican's, each claiming to be the TRV3 G0P

A weak coalition of issue related factions until an overarching critical issue combined them under one banner.

A weak coalition of issue related factions until an overarching critical issue combined them under one banner.

Like opposition to the Democratic Party?

Seems to be the only thing keeping the GOP together as it is...

I'm getting really tired of this. Like it or not folks at lest fifty percent of the Republican base are religious social conservatives. They are neither stupiod nor scared they are actually prinicpled and tend to vote those principals. A generation ago they were mostly Democrats today they are mostly Republicans not because they changed but because the Democratic party changed. Libertarians represent year in and yer out 5% of the population religious conservative 40 to 50% of the population.

There is no coalition available that will win a national election for the Republicans that isn't going to have a large number of Religious conservatives in it. And winning national elections is all about assembling coalitions of voters.

The notion that somehow the Republicans should jettison nearly half their base and start over is retarded at best and suicidal at worst. McCain lost because he managed in one of the most strikingly poor campaigns in recent memory to alienate virutally every portion of the Republican base and half of the so-called moderates that he counted on to replace the folks in the base.

I'm getting really tired of this. Like it or not folks at lest fifty percent of the Republican base are religious social conservatives. They are neither stupiod nor scared they are actually prinicpled and tend to vote those principals.

No, they don't. They vote based on rhetoric and lip service to those principles, not for candidates who act on any real principles. Now, the same are whining about the state of the GOP when they are the reason it has become what it now is.

Libertarians represent year in and yer out 5% of the population religious conservative 40 to 50% of the population.

Source?

There is no coalition available that will win a national election for the Republicans that isn't going to have a large number of Religious conservatives in it.

Religious conservatives are a minority in America- hell,. religious fools are a minority,. Most Americans re non-religious and subscribe to a neochrsistian 'ideology' that reflects no biblical doctrine; they just think they're christians because they've been told to. Most self-described 'christians' in the United States do no believe biblical doctrine when actually confronted.
The notion that somehow the Republicans should jettison nearly half their base and start over is retarded at best and suicidal at worst

On the contrary, they are purging the moderates- the real majority of their voting bloc. It's like the Whigs with slavery.

McCain lost because he managed in one of the most strikingly poor campaigns in recent memory to alienate virutally every portion of the Republican base and half of the so-called moderates that he counted on to replace the folks in the base.
The GOP never supported him because he ran on a Democratic platform

The Dems and the Republicans will both continue to evolve their views and their modify platforms based on what works for their leaders and the people those leaders work for.

Twenty years from now, if the parties need to change, their platforms might very well become polar opposite of what they are today.

At one time, the Dems claimed to care about the working class. Clearly if one looks at what they have been standing for based on outcomes of their policies that is no longer the case.

At one time, the Republican party was chauvinistically nationalistic. Clearly, if one looks at what they have been standing for based on outcomes of their policies, that is also no longer the case.

How did this happen?

The leadership of both parties needed to become something other than what it once were to continue to serve the needs of their masters.

And to hell with the principles they both once claimed to stand for, and to hell with the party loyals who supported those parties based on what they claimed to stand for, too.

The sooner that partisans understand that neither party really stands for ANYTHING, the better.

The party system is a sham.

The party system is a sham.

While I can understand your disgust with the party system. The Democratic Party has consistently stood for issues supporting working class Americans going back to FDR. Democratic Party conventions are a free-for-all of ideas, and we are real happy to have young people taking a more active role. I hope that never changes. Even Republicans are consistent in taking stands to protect rich and their money.

What has changed is the demographics. This is a different America than it was even 20 years ago. Basically, fewer whites is the key, and it is going to change more, a lot more. Check out these 2008 Exit poll stats. There are some surprises here. Exit Polls - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times
I hope we continue to see strong parties, and more of them. Though it would be nice to see the Republicans go under and have something new come along.

Last edited:
Some speculate that the Republican Party could just disappear after the last election. Where would the Evangelicals go? Something would have to replace the Republican Party, would the Democrats split into conservatives and liberals? What about big business, would they try to be everywhere? What about those elusive moderate Republicans, where would they go? Could a totally new party develop, and who would be their members? No need to argue about this, anyones guess will be interesting.

I think the current climate is ripe for Libertarians to make their move.

I think Libertarians will make a better showing than ever before, but I don't see them winning any majority mainly because true libertarians oppose war of aggression. Where would that leave all those nuke-the-ragheads wingers?

Some speculate that the Republican Party could just disappear after the last election. Where would the Evangelicals go? Something would have to replace the Republican Party, would the Democrats split into conservatives and liberals? What about big business, would they try to be everywhere? What about those elusive moderate Republicans, where would they go? Could a totally new party develop, and who would be their members? No need to argue about this, anyones guess will be interesting.

BS. The Libertarians lost out with Ron Paul's run. Yeah, I know he ran on the Repub ticket, but he couldn't have possibly won on the Lib ticket.. Turns out he didn't have a chance on the repub ticket either.

I think Ron Paul's problem was delivery of his message. He constantly talked about the looming economic crisis, always giving some history of the banking industry and government's involvement, but that was long before the layperson really understood why his points were valid until the economic tsunami hit, and thereafter it got the attention it deserved too late. Ron Paul is also getting a little long in the tooth, so it would need to be someone with a Ron Paulism message.

I think the Republican party could fragment into the bible thumpers, the blueblood yankees, and the white supremicists.

The Dems could break up into the greeniacs, the geriatrics, the pissed off bluecollars, the minorities and of course the blueblooded yankees.

That would be fun. Winner take all. And the veep would be the second place winner, whether it's a white supremist and a black woman as the ticket winners. It would look like the kind of government in the comedy "Idiocracy."

Movie review: Idiocracy starring Luke Wilson, directed by Mike Judge by Mike Adams the Health Ranger

The republican party isn't going anywhere, so all you liberals frothing at the mouth and wetting yourself in ecstasy over the thought can just take a cold shower. Do I think that because I'm a republican and I'm just spewing partisan spin? Far from it, unfortunately. I wish a third party would emerge. I think the stranglehold that the dems and repubs have on the electorate is all but treasonous.

I also don't think the Republican Party is going away, but it won't be thanks to attitudes like yours, which have only assisted in bringing it down. Waaaaay down.

What could replace the Republican Party?

A vermin infested cess pool.

I wish a third party would emerge. I think the stranglehold that the dems and repubs have on the electorate is all but treasonous.

Hear, hear!!

Did you guys think that when the Republicans were on a roll? When Karl Rove was trying to create a permanent Republican majority and wasn't shy about how he went about it?

Oh nevermind. I keep forgetting yawl didn't *like* Bush. :rolleyes:

BS. The Libertarians lost out with Ron Paul's run. Yeah, I know he ran on the Repub ticket, but he couldn't have possibly won on the Lib ticket.. Turns out he didn't have a chance on the repub ticket either.

It was a little strange. The Republicans had a genuine Libertarian running, and the Libertarian Party ran a Republican. As for not having a chance on the Republican ticket, his stock has only risen since his presidential run so it turned into a very positive thing.

Ron Paul, John McCain and Bob Barr were not rigid idealogues either. I love what Bob Barr said during the Libertarian Convention (carried only on C-Span):

"Republicans yell that government does not work, then they get into office and prove it."

I think about twenty new partys would evolve, each based on a different issue like environment, military, health care, etc. These parties would negotiate and trade support much like the British system.

A political party with a list of positions on every issue seems to leave some issues left hanging. For example illegal immigration. Here in the Southwest there people that see northern Mexico and the border states as one region. The border is viewed as an inconvenience Most of us believe we have a legal border with another country. A border that leaks like a sieve! Neither the Republicans or Democrats are offering real solutions. Wouldn't it be better if a few immigration parties could work it out? Do we have to drag issues like economy or Iraq into it?

If smaller single issued political parties were formed we might be able to solve problems without all the labels and sniping. Voters might be able to vote for issues instead of images and rehetoric.

Everyone has 'solutions' to illegal immigration. The problem is the pesky logistics involved in carrying it out.

Jb you are kidding yourself. Social conservatives may not be real common in New England and the Pacific coast but you can scarcely throw a rock without hitting one between the mountains.

Source for my statement concerning libertarians is the results of every election for the last 40 years. Scoial conservative are a force to be reckon with even in California where Gay marriage was prohibited by an amendment to the constitution by 55-45

I wish a third party would emerge. I think the stranglehold that the dems and repubs have on the electorate is all but treasonous.

Hear, hear!!

Did you guys think that when the Republicans were on a roll? When Karl Rove was trying to create a permanent Republican majority and wasn't shy about how he went about it?

Oh nevermind. I keep forgetting yawl didn't *like* Bush. :rolleyes:
"You guys"?!?!?!????

As Rand said so often; check your premise.

I haven't supported a single republican whose name isn't Dr. Ron Paul since I got stiffed for the last time, back in '94.

The permanent neoconnie majority Rove spoke of would've ended up being little different in substance from a permanent LBJ democrat majority.

I love what Bob Barr said during the Libertarian Convention (carried only on C-Span):

"Republicans yell that government does not work, then they get into office and prove it."

Yeah Bob Barr what a great guy, it's a shame he isn't actually a libertarian. :cool:

Forum List

Back