what could be done to unite this country and end the partisan bs?

get rid of political parties and have everyone finance their own campaigns.

No more "soft money" no more voting party over person

Actually, I disagree, then only the wealthy will be in office and that was not the intention of our founding fathers. How about we have one fund for campaigning and it gets divided equally amongst the candidates? And of course, we need term limits for those in office as they get all that free publicity.

Then again, we could go with my original idea, which is to draft people into office. Imagine, a government once again of, by and for the people.

People always seem to be for or against something and that's something I'm clearly against.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtMV44yoXZ0]YouTube - I'm against it!.wmv[/ame]

Groucho could also run the country now, listen to the lyrics, notice they resemble things that people are trying to do today.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z44bIMR7eAc]YouTube - Pop Goes the Weasel - Groucho Marx[/ame]

People always seem to be for or against something and that's something I'm clearly against.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtMV44yoXZ0]YouTube - I'm against it!.wmv[/ame]

Groucho could also run the country now, listen to the lyrics, notice they resemble things that people are trying to do today.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z44bIMR7eAc]YouTube - Pop Goes the Weasel - Groucho Marx[/ame]

Bugger.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Xenophon again.

It has nothing to do with money... it has to do with power; and the inability of a large segment of the electorate to recognize sound principle.

This notion that 'the nation is divided' and that such is 'the problem' sets aside the reason for the division; thus fails to recognize the principles of which that division is comprised; and as such, the means to resolve the issue, within the scope of your comfort zone, is unobtainable.

The ideological left is the problem.

Embrace it; and the problem is amplified; compromise with it and the problem is sustained...

Wherever there are those who simply lack the means to reason sound principle; you will find a division between that addle-minded ilk and those who do so as a matter of course.

Imagine; a segment of the population laments the spending of a given administration; declares that the 4-5.5% unemployment and the relevant indicators represent "THE WORST ECONOMY SINCE THE GREAT DEPRESSION...

So, they eventually utilize that mantra to gain a substantial, nearly unopposable majority in the legislature... one which sways VASTLY more influence than their opposition ever enjoyed and on top of that; also gains the Federal Executive....

So what does that segment do with their power? They spend 5 times that of the administration which they previously and vociferously opposed; they run unemployment beyond DOUBLE of that which they formerly decried... and while they were HOSTILE over the cost of fuel, which spiked only after they found power; they busy themselves in the implementation of policy which will run the cost of the necessary fuels that sustain the economy to well beyond that economy crushing level which they, again, railed steadfastly against.

There's no means to reason with such people... and there's no means for reasonable people to join with such people.

Thus the resolution to the problem of division, is one which I doubt you'd be all that comfortable with; and yet, you busy yourself going about the advocating of policy which will only, quite inevitably, lead directly to that long standing, quite natural and wholly unavoidable resolution.

Crazy huh...

See that, Bones? PI's solution to the whole problem is the easiest: Eliminate all who don't embrace the right-wing ideology.

Sigh...back to Square One. Sad.

Obama has to contend with the Democrats in Congress and they seem to think that the election has given them an unlimited mandate to pursue their political agenda and political vendettas over what is best for the the country.

In other words they are acting with same arrogance as the Republicans did for the last decade rather than trying to reduce partisanship.

Some things never never change...go figure.

EXACTLY!! And I prayed the Dems would not do that. It's why the congressional Republicans became known as The Party of No. When they saw the democratic leadership's intent was an eye for an eye, they stood their ground, the truce was broken, and all-out war ensued all over again.

If Obama is to survive, he has GOT to make sure that Nancy Pelosi is NOT reelected as Speaker. Are you listening, Rahm??????

I have thought about this quite a bit here of late. Bones is correct in her reasoning and she tossed out some very good ideas and thoughts. I would like to build on that just a little if I can. One of the things I believe that is hurting the country quite a bit is the length of time some of these Congressmen and women have been camping out in either the House or the Senate. Many of them are political institutions unto themselves because of their power and status within Congress. Neither party is interested in working with the other party for the common good of the people who elected them. Their main interest, and their only interest is to stay in power. Anything else is second to that goal. What I think we need are term limits for all elected officials. Two terms in Congress is more than ample time for a person to accomplish any goal the Senator or Representative may have had. If they can't accomplish their goal in two terms, then their goal wasn't meant to be. We need new and different people in Congress. Everybody there needs to be cut loose and fresh people with new ideas and thought processes to put to the test. Another thing that really gets under my skin is all the perks that Congress folks get. Why should we give a Congress person any kind of a retirement benefit for serving in Conress. All a person has to do is get elected and they have that retirement for life. I think it is bullshit. It's an expense that we do not need to bear. There is big money to be made by being a member of Congress. Why else would somebody spend millions of dollars on a job that really doesn't pay that much? Same thing as President. Why should it cost so much money to elect these officials? We need to limit that aspect of the campaigns too.
I think fully taking away the benefit of a retirement pension would be an error. I do think terms limits should be installed. Elect new officials that keep their promises or out they go. It is not like one states reps do no harm to another state people when they make these ridiculous legislative rules that damage the people and take away personal freedoms.

Term limits will never happen. The ones who would change the law would be the very ones who would be affected by it. If anything, the two-year term for House members is not enough. They work one year and campaign for reelection the second.

To many people are trapped by ideology.

It amazes me how people will defend the most wrong-headed thinking just because the political party they support tells them too.

Figure out what is really important to you and support that, not the party.

Think for yourselves.

And that's exactly why we saw more independents this last cycle. By this time next year, we'll be seeing the rumblings of a new presidential cycle already, and it won't come as any surprise if a true Independent Party doesn't finally get organized and funded so as to make a serious dent in the stranglehold of the two-party system. One began (Unity08) but fizzled for lack of support $$$$$$, badly needed for advertising to get the message out. So, stay tuned.

It has nothing to do with money... it has to do with power; and the inability of a large segment of the electorate to recognize sound principle.

This notion that 'the nation is divided' and that such is 'the problem' sets aside the reason for the division; thus fails to recognize the principles of which that division is comprised; and as such, the means to resolve the issue, within the scope of your comfort zone, is unobtainable.

The ideological left is the problem.

Embrace it; and the problem is amplified; compromise with it and the problem is sustained...

Wherever there are those who simply lack the means to reason sound principle; you will find a division between that addle-minded ilk and those who do so as a matter of course.

Imagine; a segment of the population laments the spending of a given administration; declares that the 4-5.5% unemployment and the relevant indicators represent "THE WORST ECONOMY SINCE THE GREAT DEPRESSION...

So, they eventually utilize that mantra to gain a substantial, nearly unopposable majority in the legislature... one which sways VASTLY more influence than their opposition ever enjoyed and on top of that; also gains the Federal Executive....

So what does that segment do with their power? They spend 5 times that of the administration which they previously and vociferously opposed; they run unemployment beyond DOUBLE of that which they formerly decried... and while they were HOSTILE over the cost of fuel, which spiked only after they found power; they busy themselves in the implementation of policy which will run the cost of the necessary fuels that sustain the economy to well beyond that economy crushing level which they, again, railed steadfastly against.

There's no means to reason with such people... and there's no means for reasonable people to join with such people.

Thus the resolution to the problem of division, is one which I doubt you'd be all that comfortable with; and yet, you busy yourself going about the advocating of policy which will only, quite inevitably, lead directly to that long standing, quite natural and wholly unavoidable resolution.

Crazy huh...

I was about to rep you until I got to the 3rd paragraph. Blaming the "ideological left" for everything is as absurd as blaming Bush for everything, or Clinton for everything.

In fact, the problem is blame. Everyone spends so much time citing examples of 'failed' policy from a week, a month, a decade ago that nobody tries to find a commonly acceptable solution, and heaven forbid anyone ever thinks of compromise.

This board is a perfect example. By the time any thread gets to the end of page 1 you have the idealists from one side kicking the shit out of their counterparts from the other side.

"It was Bush that fucking started this you asshole."

"Oh yeah, well how come the policy started with the Clinton administration, you partizan hack?"

"Clinton never meant for it to go this far - it's the GOP that took a sound policy to the extreme. Are you really this stupid?"

"Me stupid? I'm not the one who just voted for a President who is destroying the economy for the next 30 years!"

And so the debate goes on without a single poster focusing on current policy or its merits. Why? Because that's the way politics is done. It is far easier to kick your opponent over past policy (20/20 hindsight being a wonderful thing) than it is to rationally discuss current policy and potential future implications.

Despite everyone on message boards having Google available to make them look like they know a lot, most people really aren't that smart when it comes to discussing the impact of future policy. So they simply line up behind their party of choice, listen to what Sean or Keith tell then and parrot it because they think they agree with it, or they cite it because they think it is an example of how stupid the other side is.

Blame culture is the problem, IMO.
I think that is why the pot gets stirred with non issues. Truthfully though Bob I'm getting pretty sick of this hatred slinging against those who believe in God. That is the majority in this nation whether they believe fully or believe but do not totally understand. I can personally say a lot of people who profess to believe do not fully represent what I believe. So it all goes back to shit slinging contest and who wants to go there instead of real issues that need to be dealt with.

I've seen very little of that lately, although there was a lot of it during the 04 election because of the rise of the Evangelical movement and its demonization of John Kerry.

said by a very wise man first...

Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand'. by Jesus

then by president Lincoln

"A house divided against itself cannot stand."

The democrats compromise too much with the republicans.....Oh, to laugh!! :rofl:

You have a short memory. Every time the emergency supplemental came up for debate, the Dems ultimately caved when Bush would refuse to sign the bill with timetables. They caved on FISA rules concerning telecom snooping. They caved on the drug bill when the pubs refused to let it pass requiring price negotiation. Republicans had their Ace in the Hole--George W. Bush--who would threaten veto if he didn't get what he wanted. The Democrats knew that, so ultimately slunk back to their respective corners. No "compromise" necessary.

Forum List

Back