what could be done to unite this country and end the partisan bs?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by strollingbones, Jul 14, 2009.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    as far as i can see...obama has not made any move to "unite" this country behind him or any recovery plan. with only 25% of the stimulus money released...(according to npr)
    what is going on...i see this country being more and more divided. or perhaps its just the rantings of the extremes on both sides is driving the middle crazy. i have watched...why are liberals so stupid....why are conservatives so stupid...threads go out...people ..there is no differences in the parties....there are hot topic issues that the powers to be use to distract the people ...and i think its simply the political machine that has taken on a life of it's own...combined with people who are no longer citizens. by citizens, i mean people who take the time to research the issues and the candidates....it is impossible with today's media to get a clear picture of anything. our news is so controlled and censured....cnn and fox...it does not matter...one is spoon feeding the left....one is spoon feeding the right....so instead of looking at what is happening.....everyone simply continues the party rant. as long as you do that you will get the government you deserve.

keeping the people divided and distracted...like a gang of pickpockets in a crowd...how long are we gonna allow this? dont we all basically want the same things in life....happiness...security for our families....the ability to work hard and get a head.

i hate to be so fucking rah rha at this hour...but we need to remember this...we are americans before we are democrats or republicans or any other party. we are all americans first. we have americans dying on two war fronts, we need to remember that daily? we need to hold the current administration to the same reasoning...the causes of the wars have not change, the deaths still mount...yet there is little discussion of the death toll..which everyone did under bush? why has that changed?

does obama realize he has backed out of his promises made to a lot of "independent" voters? obama won by uniting a lot of groups....now the party will take the hit in 2010. 2 years of gridlock and we are where in 4 years...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 8
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  2. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,110
    get rid of political parties and have everyone finance their own campaigns.

No more "soft money" no more voting party over person

3. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    A good point. Take the big money out of it.

4. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    it always comes back to the "money"...that is why david duke ran...for the matching funds...but that would be a start....and stop these pac things...

5. PubliusInfinitum

PubliusInfinitum BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    It has nothing to do with money... it has to do with power; and the inability of a large segment of the electorate to recognize sound principle.

This notion that 'the nation is divided' and that such is 'the problem' sets aside the reason for the division; thus fails to recognize the principles of which that division is comprised; and as such, the means to resolve the issue, within the scope of your comfort zone, is unobtainable.

The ideological left is the problem.

Embrace it; and the problem is amplified; compromise with it and the problem is sustained...

Wherever there are those who simply lack the means to reason sound principle; you will find a division between that addle-minded ilk and those who do so as a matter of course.

Imagine; a segment of the population laments the spending of a given administration; declares that the 4-5.5% unemployment and the relevant indicators represent "THE WORST ECONOMY SINCE THE GREAT DEPRESSION...

So, they eventually utilize that mantra to gain a substantial, nearly unopposable majority in the legislature... one which sways VASTLY more influence than their opposition ever enjoyed and on top of that; also gains the Federal Executive....

So what does that segment do with their power? They spend 5 times that of the administration which they previously and vociferously opposed; they run unemployment beyond DOUBLE of that which they formerly decried... and while they were HOSTILE over the cost of fuel, which spiked only after they found power; they busy themselves in the implementation of policy which will run the cost of the necessary fuels that sustain the economy to well beyond that economy crushing level which they, again, railed steadfastly against.

There's no means to reason with such people... and there's no means for reasonable people to join with such people.

Thus the resolution to the problem of division, is one which I doubt you'd be all that comfortable with; and yet, you busy yourself going about the advocating of policy which will only, quite inevitably, lead directly to that long standing, quite natural and wholly unavoidable resolution.

Crazy huh...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  6. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    Change will not come easily or peacably from such a system, too much money and power involved.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Newby

Newby Does it get any better? Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,703
    :clap2:

Great post, more people need to start thinking this way, but I'm afraid that things are going to have to get very bad before the general populace is motivated enough to join together regardless of politics and demand changes from our government. When you have their personal lives being more impacted in a 'less than subtle' way is when you will start to see a shift. Who knows what it's going to take? I predict that if the Cap & Trade gets ratified by the Senate and as the 'global warming' initiative starts to impact their lives in ways that hurt, then they'll start to sit up and take notice to what's been done in the name of 'environmentalism' and how they've been duped. By then it may be too late.

8. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,127
    The pols don't want the bi-partisanship to end. They want the 'us and them' to remain 'Dems and Repubs'. What they don't want is for Americans to wake up because then the 'us and them' will truly become us - you and me - and them, the wealthy and the pols. They want the status quo to remain as is because it works . . . for them.

Bones - great, great post.

9. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,733
    I have thought about this quite a bit here of late. Bones is correct in her reasoning and she tossed out some very good ideas and thoughts. I would like to build on that just a little if I can. One of the things I believe that is hurting the country quite a bit is the length of time some of these Congressmen and women have been camping out in either the House or the Senate. Many of them are political institutions unto themselves because of their power and status within Congress. Neither party is interested in working with the other party for the common good of the people who elected them. Their main interest, and their only interest is to stay in power. Anything else is second to that goal. What I think we need are term limits for all elected officials. Two terms in Congress is more than ample time for a person to accomplish any goal the Senator or Representative may have had. If they can't accomplish their goal in two terms, then their goal wasn't meant to be. We need new and different people in Congress. Everybody there needs to be cut loose and fresh people with new ideas and thought processes to put to the test. Another thing that really gets under my skin is all the perks that Congress folks get. Why should we give a Congress person any kind of a retirement benefit for serving in Conress. All a person has to do is get elected and they have that retirement for life. I think it is bullshit. It's an expense that we do not need to bear. There is big money to be made by being a member of Congress. Why else would somebody spend millions of dollars on a job that really doesn't pay that much? Same thing as President. Why should it cost so much money to elect these officials? We need to limit that aspect of the campaigns too.

10. Coyote

Coyote Varmint Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,483
    Obama has to contend with the Democrats in Congress and they seem to think that the election has given them an unlimited mandate to pursue their political agenda and political vendettas over what is best for the the country.

In other words they are acting with same arrogance as the Republicans did for the last decade rather than trying to reduce partisanship.

Some things never never change...go figure.