What constitutes 'you'?

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
Are 'you' your flesh, your physical form? If so, would 'you' still exist if all your fleshy parts were incrementally replaced until you were wholly something artificial? Would you still be a person?

Are 'you' your sentient mind, your own self-consciousness? If you brain, or whatever system we were left with from the above experiment were to be split in two in such a matter than each half functioned independently and was self-aware, would 'you' still exist, or would 'you' cease to exist as we were left with two new 'persons'?

What makes one a person? What makes a person an individual?

God is always making everything new. Our bodies are electric machines controlled by the spirit of who we really are. Our bodies, like everything else in the universe, breakdown to where they started and build up again.

The goal of all mankind is to achieve balance and become one with God. This process can take millions of lifetimes. It is God’s will for all of mankind to achieve this oneness. Once achieved, the process starts again with a separation… “Let us create man in our image and in our likeness…”

Death is a process that makes things new. Life and death work hand-in-hand making things new. When one breathes in – this is life. When one exhales out – this is death. One cannot live again without first experiencing death. Death is a process, not an end caused by sin or the devil.

We people (or spirits constantly manifested in the flesh) have always been going through this process. It never ends or begins – it just is.

the above is quote from American Christian Society - Home

ahh...just one more thing... Güten Tag!

According to my wife, I am who I am. That pretty well settles it for me. Actually, I'd like to be cloned. This way, one of me could take care of her honey do list and the other could watch tv and fuck off all the time.

God is always making everything new.

maybe if he'd done it right the first time.. :doubt:
Our bodies are electric machines controlled by the spirit of who we really are. Our bodies, like everything else in the universe, breakdown to where they started and build up again.

You've any evidence of this 'spirit'?

it’s up to us to “make it right” – the best we can – God will not “work magic” so we can all be spoiled. Also – there must be constant change always. The same gets old like a favorite song. We are all created from piece of God and return back – this is how everything in the universe works – looking for balance

kind a
everything in the universe is a form of light/radiation
radiation is waves in motion so our electric impales brains our really nothing more than waves of motion reacting to the personality of our inner being or ‘spirit’. I know this is not hard proff…but something to think about…

Sorry for my sloppy wording!

Tschüß!

Are 'you' your flesh, your physical form? If so, would 'you' still exist if all your fleshy parts were incrementally replaced until you were wholly something artificial? Would you still be a person?

Are 'you' your sentient mind, your own self-consciousness? If you brain, or whatever system we were left with from the above experiment were to be split in two in such a matter than each half functioned independently and was self-aware, would 'you' still exist, or would 'you' cease to exist as we were left with two new 'persons'?

Me.

i see our consciousness being a construct of our mind, in turn a construct of our brain. our other faculties add dimension to that, like our body and our senses. together with a community of similarly constructed individuals and the natural world altogether, we are driven to perceive uniqueness - a component of an evolved self-awareness which facilitates self-preservation within this community, although it coexists with community-preservation serving the same goal.

DNA_double_helix_45.PNG

What I am.

cremated.jpg

What will happen when I die.

As for if I became artificial, like an AI of some sort then undoubtedly I would lose something, not a soul, but part of what it is to be human depending on how good the substitute for a human brain would be, and how well the transfer of the brain information from point of death or prior to death went. I would prefer to die however.

Last edited:

This is a great question.

Consider that you do not have a single atom in your body that is the same as the atoms that were in your body ten years ago.

So are you nothing more the sum total of the atoms in your body?

Apparently not. You are the unique combined information that takes these atoms and makes them into you.

Living creatures are EVENTS, the combined sum of the informed interactions of the atoms of their body.

And, if you can wade though the weird world of string theory, it appears that ALL MATTER is really as much a WAVE as a PARTICLE.

Now if that made no sense to you, take heart.

Very few of us have minds that are really designed to think outside the perception limiting box that we are designed to live in.

We are designed to thrive and perceive the Newtonian universe, not the Einstienien (or beyond) universe that our physicists and mathematicians are currently investigating.

But consider what it REALLY MEANS if life is but an event...

Among other things that really does mean that we are just part of the event chain of life on this planet.

Now I know that might offend the fundmentalist believers here, but speaking from my believer's POV, that makes perfect sense, really.

All life is but an continued wave that is part of the life event, and that event is really not all that much different than the existence event of all inanimate material.

Its not that we are thinking beings in a universe that is the mystery of being.

The universe BEING is the real mystery.

WE are in our brain and what we are is the product of genetics and our upbringing, teachings, and life experiences.
If we were split in two then each part would be similar in thoughts to the origional but would develop differently after the splitting. due to differences in life experiences.

Actually, the consciousness cannot be trusted.

If our bodies did not posses reflexes, we could have committed suicide when we were little kids.(Hold your breath and see how your body "stop taking orders" from your "spirit"/conscious!!:tongue:)

i see our consciousness being a construct of our mind, in turn a construct of our brain.

What of dissociative personality disorder?
Would 'you' still exist if all your fleshy parts were incrementally replaced until you were wholly something artificial? Would you still be a person?

If you brain, or whatever system we were left with from the above experiment were to be split in two in such a matter than each half functioned independently and was self-aware, would 'you' still exist, or would 'you' cease to exist as we were left with two new 'persons'?

Maybe we suffer from Death because our bodies is constantly replacing itself?

Thus death is truly cessation of our existance!

Consider that you do not have a single atom in your body that is the same as the atoms that were in your body ten years ago.

So are you nothing more the sum total of the atoms in your body?

Apparently not. You are the unique combined information that takes these atoms and makes them into you.

Rebuilding the ship plank-by-plank ten feet away? (Was that Aristotle?)
Living creatures are EVENTS, the combined sum of the informed interactions of the atoms of their body.

Clearly, the body and the self are not the same thing, as a corpse might possess all its physical parts, yet there is doubtlessly something missing, as the individual as we understand it is no longer present?

It seems self-evident that some form of dualism is the reality here. Even if it is based in or emergent from the material, awareness is immaterial- the mind, distinct from the brain, is immaterial.

WE are in our brain and what we are is the product of genetics and our upbringing, teachings, and life experiences.
If we were split in two then each part would be similar in thoughts to the origional but would develop differently after the splitting. due to differences in life experiences.
So you would cease to exist and two new individuals would come into being?

Forum List

Back