What constitutes a disability? How bad does it have to be to get government money?

I know three people personally who get disability payments from the government even though they all get around just fine. Sure they have had injuries, one had fusion surgery on his back. But so did Tiger Woods and he doesn't look that disabled to me. Does anyone know how "disabled" you have to be to get disability? And is there any checkup to see if you have gotten better and don't need the payments anymore? Does anyone have insight on this?
My 48 year old friend has lupus so she’ll be on disability
How disabling is Lupus? My Aunt has had Lupus all her life, and she seemed fine until she got well into her 70s. She never worked, but she also didn't have to so I don't think she ever applied for disability.

Most elderly people are already receiving either social security, or retirement..there's an income requirement to receive disability/ssi...
She made $60k a year for 20 years then 5 years ago she decided to open her own salon. The Kroger in her strip mall closed and had a 5 year lease so it was a dead strip mall with no traffic.

Point is for the last few years she made so little that she qualifies for Medicaid

Makes me wonder how many people out there are broke and we just don’t know it.
Check out the national savings rates. About every other person you see has a zero net worth.

I know three people personally who get disability payments from the government even though they all get around just fine. Sure they have had injuries, one had fusion surgery on his back. But so did Tiger Woods and he doesn't look that disabled to me. Does anyone know how "disabled" you have to be to get disability? And is there any checkup to see if you have gotten better and don't need the payments anymore? Does anyone have insight on this?
How disabling is Lupus? My Aunt has had Lupus all her life, and she seemed fine until she got well into her 70s. She never worked, but she also didn't have to so I don't think she ever applied for disability.
Well my neighbor is 5’ and 300 lbs. She’s a heart attack waiting to happen.

And I guess it matters if they catch lupus early or late. They didn’t catch it on her till late so it’s fucking with her system. Kidney stones.

Anyways, about a year ago she couldn’t afford healthcare anymore and she missed the enrollment date for the year but after looking at her situation Medicaid is going to kick in.

I’m glad to hear the government didn’t tell her sorry you can’t afford your treatments die. They are actually going to help her. Wow. I’m happy.

But we could argue that we are going to go broke caring for all the poor people who don’t take care of themselves and need medical care to take care of their problems.

On Howard stern there’s a guy called high pitch Eric. He got his stomach stapled to lose weight and he is now busting through the staples and eating what he used to eat. What a waste of money.

A lot of these stories are idiots who made bad choices.

This is why I want universal healthcare for all. We pretty much give it anyways through Medicaid
I want free healthcare for my family, but as a country we can't afford it and still compete in the world marketplace. It actually makes a country stronger to let the weak die.
Actually, wouldn’t American corporations be more competitive if they didn’t have to pay for healthcare? This is a cost companies in Canada and Europe don’t have

Most elderly people are already receiving either social security, or retirement..there's an income requirement to receive disability/ssi...
She made $60k a year for 20 years then 5 years ago she decided to open her own salon. The Kroger in her strip mall closed and had a 5 year lease so it was a dead strip mall with no traffic.

Point is for the last few years she made so little that she qualifies for Medicaid

Makes me wonder how many people out there are broke and we just don’t know it.
Check out the national savings rates. About every other person you see has a zero net worth.
I can’t imagine America 30 years from now. No savings. Cuts to social programs like social security and Medicare, no pensions, stagnation...

Now add to all this most parents will no longer leave their kids any money. In fact kids will have to take care of their parents. What a shift! And people don’t even realize class warfare exists and for the last 30 years we’ve been losing.

My dad will most likely leave me and my bro $600k

Think about it. All the kids in their 30s living with their parents will live with their kids in 30 years. Lol

Well my neighbor is 5’ and 300 lbs. She’s a heart attack waiting to happen.

And I guess it matters if they catch lupus early or late. They didn’t catch it on her till late so it’s fucking with her system. Kidney stones.

Anyways, about a year ago she couldn’t afford healthcare anymore and she missed the enrollment date for the year but after looking at her situation Medicaid is going to kick in.

I’m glad to hear the government didn’t tell her sorry you can’t afford your treatments die. They are actually going to help her. Wow. I’m happy.

But we could argue that we are going to go broke caring for all the poor people who don’t take care of themselves and need medical care to take care of their problems.

On Howard stern there’s a guy called high pitch Eric. He got his stomach stapled to lose weight and he is now busting through the staples and eating what he used to eat. What a waste of money.

A lot of these stories are idiots who made bad choices.

This is why I want universal healthcare for all. We pretty much give it anyways through Medicaid
I want free healthcare for my family, but as a country we can't afford it and still compete in the world marketplace. It actually makes a country stronger to let the weak die.
Actually, wouldn’t American corporations be more competitive if they didn’t have to pay for healthcare? This is a cost companies in Canada and Europe don’t have
They have the cost through their taxes.

Depends on the problem as diagnosed by your doctor, the limitations imposed either by it or by the treatment (also as diagosed by your doctor), and whether or not your particular job field is impacted by it.

It makes me sick to see people on disability that honestly could work if they had to or if they tried a little harder. My wife has a permanent brain injury and will never be able to drive, read or write or make change for a dollar again. . . Yet, she doesn't act near as "entitled" as some people I have met. . . People Who don't have anything near as serious a medical problem that she has.

Last edited:
It sucks to holy hell if the person in question is schizophrenic or is mentally disabled because they don't understand the process or refuse to admit they need help. They can't manage the paperwork.

explains a lotta the homeless....

~S~

Oh, yeah. It's so rigged.
Yeah, I didn't know that after my first surgery.

If I had, I would have lawyered up and fought the government. Instead, I believed their experts and rolled with it.

Mostly, because I come from a very conservative family that doesn't take handouts.

By the time my condition worsened and the whole government's "retraining" bullshit didn't work and the successive surgeries were necessary, I was no longer able to qualify for disability, because I hadn't been able to work gainfully for several years, and hence, hadn't been paying into the system.

. . . so, when I finally DID lawyer up, the only solution after more surgeries, and no gainful employment was SSI and a life in poverty. Eventually, within the next couple years, it looks like the continually deteriorating health conditions and financial situation could grow so bad, the street will be home.

7b75EIg.png

A lot of people are in the same situation as you. You are not alone. Most do not want to go on disability, most people want to work.

It use to be a lot more people went on disability before the ACA, as the ACA doesn't have underwriting now, and believe me if they know you have some disability you are not hired. They can make up all kinds of excuses not to hire someone with disability.

Benefits Planner: Disability | How You Qualify | Social Security Administration

The definition of disability under Social Security is different than other programs. Social Security pays only for total disability. No benefits are payable for partial disability or for short-term disability.

We consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:

• You cannot do work that you did before;
  • We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
  • Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.
This is a strict definition of disability. Social Security program rules assume that working families have access to other resources to provide support during periods of short-term disabilities, including workers' compensation, insurance, savings, and investments.

You might find a shoulder to cry on, but as a whole, thinking we, as a people have some collective level of sympathy , is way off what we truly are.

~S~

It sucks to holy hell if the person in question is schizophrenic or is mentally disabled because they don't understand the process or refuse to admit they need help. They can't manage the paperwork.

~S~

If I had, I would have lawyered up and fought the government. Instead, I believed their experts and rolled with it.

Mostly, because I come from a very conservative family that doesn't take handouts.

By the time my condition worsened and the whole government's "retraining" bullshit didn't work and the successive surgeries were necessary, I was no longer able to qualify for disability, because I hadn't been able to work gainfully for several years, and hence, hadn't been paying into the system.

. . . so, when I finally DID lawyer up, the only solution after more surgeries, and no gainful employment was SSI and a life in poverty. Eventually, within the next couple years, it looks like the continually deteriorating health conditions and financial situation could grow so bad, the street will be home.

7b75EIg.png

A lot of people are in the same situation as you. You are not alone. Most do not want to go on disability, most people want to work.

It use to be a lot more people went on disability before the ACA, as the ACA doesn't have underwriting now, and believe me if they know you have some disability you are not hired. They can make up all kinds of excuses not to hire someone with disability.

Still shilling for ACA? Do you get paid by the post, or is it word count?

~S~

7b75EIg.png

Still shilling for ACA? Do you get paid by the post, or is it word count?

Its the best thing since Medicare.

Forum List

Back