What Constitutes A "Conspiracy Theory"?

When I saw this, I thought of this thread:

bb900dd3b15a21b91acebc27717ccb33.jpg

Naww. Clear difference between critical thinkers and conspiracy folk. Critical thinkers use "likely probability" to sort thru evidence and prioritize their search. Conspiracy theorists too often START with a list of villains and bad guys and only retain the evidence that satisfies their initial "confirmation bias"....

Like what?
There is a really neat thing called google. Type something like "conspiracy theories proven true" and see what you get.

Or, try "Operation Northwoods." Especially if you believe that "our government" would never plan to harm Americans.
I have no illusions about what the government is capable of doing. I looked up Operation Northwoods. It was something that was proposed but never carried out. I 'm asking what conspiracy theory has ever been proven to be true?

There are massive speculative conspiracy theories that President Trump and/or his campaign colluded with the Russians leading to his election as President #45. Will that be proven true? Your guess is as good as mine. It hasn't yet.

There are very large numbers of people promoting a conspiracy theory that an extraterrestrial spaceship crashed in the New Mexico desert northwest of Roswell NM. My own Congressman of some years ago did his own in depth research and investigation and was unable to find out the truth one way or the other. Will it ever be shown to be true? Or disproved? Your guess is as good as mine.

The conspiracy theories abound re the J.F. Kennedy assassination. I have seen one documentary on one of the science channels--Discovery or the Smithsonian or some such--that suggested a credible conclusion but it hasn't gained any traction. So will the conspiracies ever been shown to be true? Your guess is as good as mine.

Did we land on the moon? Some conspiracy theorists say we did not. Is there sufficient proof?

Did the Holocaust happen? Some conspiracy theorists say that it did not. Is there sufficient proof?

Did somebody do something to bring down the Twin Towers and Bldg 7 and it wasn't the terrorists at all? My goodness there have been conspiracy theories re that. Will they ever be shown to be true?

So off the top of my head, I can't really come up with a major conspiracy theory of any consequence that proved to be true beyond any doubt.

Naww. Clear difference between critical thinkers and conspiracy folk.
This statement illustrates your first problem. "Conspiracy folk," consist on many levels and some can be amazingly critical thinkers. Generally speaking, those promoting conspiracy theories are not the same as those who expose conspiracy facts. In fact, many who promote conspiracy theories are the conspirators themselves. This propaganda technique falls under the category of 'black propaganda' and is known further as a psychological operation or PSYOP.

For further reading on this, start here: Black propaganda - Wikipedia and here: Psychological warfare - Wikipedia

Critical thinkers use "likely probability" to sort thru evidence and prioritize their search.
I consider myself a critical thinker, at least compared to some, and I have learned to try my best to drop any preconceived beliefs or ideas and start fresh when investigating any political topic. There are levels to thinking critically like with anything.

Conspiracy theorists too often START with a list of villains and bad guys and only retain the evidence that satisfies their initial "confirmation bias"....
The dolts perhaps or those paid to engage us as targets for their psychological operations.

I'm just curious here. The meme you were responding to, do you deny that we (as a society in general) have been dumbed-down or do you deny that it has been done to us on purpose? Hold that thought for a second. Are you familiar with the work of Charlotte Thomson Iserbyt?

It was she that exposed this "deliberate" dumbing down in her nearly 750 page work. She painstakingly shows her readers many Federal regulations that have been passed along with countless documents that she acquired under the FOIA.

postit.gif

the deliberate dumbing down of america

And I must point out again that many times throughout history, topics that were widely believed to be conspiracy theories turned out to be true. The above is just one. And have you taken a look at the Northwoods document yet? Have you looked critically at 'Operation Paperclip,' 'Operation Mockingbird,' or "Project Monarch' (hint: not it's real name)? Are you familiar at all or have you looked critically at what Senator John Decamp exposed back in the eighties? The man was lambasted in the media (across the board) as a conspiracy theorist and liar. But:

DeCamp was also the lead perspective on Conspiracy of Silence, an unaired Discovery Channel documentary about the alleged "Franklin cover-up" that documents a U.S. child sex abuse and pedophilia ring which purportedly involved the Reagan and Bush administrations.[8] This was confirmed by The Washington Times, “Mr. Spence arranged at least four midnight tours of the White House, including one June 29, 1989, on which he took with him a 15-year-old boy whom he falsely identified as his son.” [9] On February 27, 1999, the U.S. District Court of the District of Nebraska awarded Bonacci $1 million in compensatory damages and punitive damages, related to the Franklin Cover-Up. Omaha’s Franklin Community Federal Credit Union handler, Lawrence E. King Jr., was held responsible for the damages done to Bonacci, due to King's failure to respond to the lawsuit from jail.[10][11] Decamp was Bonacci’s defense attorney for these related scandals.
John DeCamp - Wikipedia (emphasis mine)

As the story goes, one copy of the unaired Discovery Channel documentary was not destroyed and was sent anonymously to the Senator. You can view it here:

Last edited:
"A conspiracy theory is an explanation of an event or situation that invokes an unwarranted conspiracy generally one involving an illegal or harmful act carried out by government or other powerful actors. Conspiracy theories often produce hypotheses that contradict the prevailing understanding of history or simple facts. The term is a derogatory one."
That definition is insufficient. It suggests that two, or more “non governmental, or non “powerful actors” are incapable of conspiring... That simply isn’t true.
No it does not suggest any such thing.

It is specific and valid.

The key word is unwarranted. Conspiracy theories typically are about impossible conspiracies and are unsupported by any credible or worthwhile evidence.

they are more akin to a religious belief than a theory.

For further reading on this, start here: Black propaganda - Wikipedia and here: Psychological warfare - Wikipedia

It's bad enough to consume a steady of uncritical conspiracy meals. But it's even WORSE if the way you defend this "DOUBT" industry is to link to "black propaganda and Psych Warfare". The main purveyors of this nonsense like Infowars and Rense and James Noury are all selling a form of those 2 things. Meant to FEED the overactive imaginations and doubts of their listeners.

I consider myself a critical thinker, at least compared to some, and I have learned to try my best to drop any preconceived beliefs or ideas and start fresh when investigating any political topic. There are levels to thinking critically like with anything.

I'd need to see the process. Because you may THINK you're subjugating the confirmation bias and preconceived notions. But if you're immersed in "doubt pandering" -- it will usually end up back at the Bilderburgers, CFR, Jews, or Illuminati at the end. OR misappropriating terms like the "deep state" to cover the fact that the conspiracy theorist really doesn't have a clue as to any real evidence.

I'm just curious here. The meme you were responding to, do you deny that we (as a society in general) have been dumbed-down or do you deny that it has been done to us on purpose? Hold that thought for a second. Are you familiar with the work of Charlotte Thomson Iserbyt?

It was she that exposed this "deliberate" dumbing down in her nearly 750 page work. She painstakingly shows her readers many Federal regulations that have been passed along with countless documents that she acquired under the FOIA.

I'm very much a "limited govt" type. Want my leadership to stick to basics and do it well. I GOT that way not because I believe they are sinister and conspiring. I GOT that way because I positively concluded that for the most part -- political leadership are morons (dolts if you like) who are inept, lazy, corrupt and inefficient with their time and power. They literally fuck up most every time they overreach beyond their abilities or severely short attentions. It's NOT a conspiracy. It's simple INCOMPETENCE and overreach..

It's bad enough to consume a steady of uncritical conspiracy meals. But it's even WORSE if the way you defend this "DOUBT" industry is to link to "black propaganda and Psych Warfare". The main purveyors of this nonsense like Infowars and Rense and James Noury are all selling a form of those 2 things. Meant to FEED the overactive imaginations and doubts of their listeners.

I'd need to see the process. Because you may THINK you're subjugating the confirmation bias and preconceived notions. But if you're immersed in "doubt pandering" -- it will usually end up back at the Bilderburgers, CFR, Jews, or Illuminati at the end. OR misappropriating terms like the "deep state" to cover the fact that the conspiracy theorist really doesn't have a clue as to any real evidence.

I'm very much a "limited govt" type. Want my leadership to stick to basics and do it well. I GOT that way not because I believe they are sinister and conspiring. I GOT that way because I positively concluded that for the most part -- political leadership are morons (dolts if you like) who are inept, lazy, corrupt and inefficient with their time and power. They literally fuck up most every time they overreach beyond their abilities or severely short attentions. It's NOT a conspiracy. It's simple INCOMPETENCE and overreach..

Some of them are definitely sinister and conspiring. There have actually been SOME conspiracy theories that have turned out to be based on truth. Of course, the conspiracy theories will highly exaggerate though, so their whole entire theory is never usually true. Doesn't mean it doesn't have some basis in truth though.

I’ve been part of a conspiracy to throw a birthday party. Conspiracies happen quite frequently.

I’ve been part of a conspiracy to throw a birthday party. Conspiracies happen quite frequently.
That's quite the point, isn't it? People try to act like small groups of people, and even larger entities don't conspire to deceive people. When we all know they do. So why has "conspiracy theory" assumed such a derisive image?

Naww. Clear difference between critical thinkers and conspiracy folk. Critical thinkers use "likely probability" to sort thru evidence and prioritize their search. Conspiracy theorists too often START with a list of villains and bad guys and only retain the evidence that satisfies their initial "confirmation bias"....
Unlike the 9/11 truth movement who do not point fingers but provide evidence that the official story is Swiss Cheese. They merely call for an investigation. It is interesting that the biggest crime on American soil has never been investigated.

Here you go... (a conspiracy theory summed up in less than five minutes.)

Last edited:
Naww. Clear difference between critical thinkers and conspiracy folk.
This statement illustrates your first problem. "Conspiracy folk," consist on many levels and some can be amazingly critical thinkers. Generally speaking, those promoting conspiracy theories are not the same as those who expose conspiracy facts. In fact, many who promote conspiracy theories are the conspirators themselves. This propaganda technique falls under the category of 'black propaganda' and is known further as a psychological operation or PSYOP.

Critical thinkers use "likely probability" to sort thru evidence and prioritize their search.

Conspiracy theorists too often START with a list of villains and bad guys and only retain the evidence that satisfies their initial "confirmation bias"....
The dolts perhaps or those paid to engage us as targets for their psychological operations.

postit.gif

the deliberate dumbing down of america

And I must point out again that many times throughout history, topics that were widely believed to be conspiracy theories turned out to be true. The above is just one. And have you taken a look at the Northwoods document yet? Have you looked critically at 'Operation Paperclip,' 'Operation Mockingbird,' or "Project Monarch' (hint: not it's real name)? Are you familiar at all or have you looked critically at what Senator John Decamp exposed back in the eighties? The man was lambasted in the media (across the board) as a conspiracy theorist and liar. But:

DeCamp was also the lead perspective on Conspiracy of Silence, an unaired Discovery Channel documentary about the alleged "Franklin cover-up" that documents a U.S. child sex abuse and pedophilia ring which purportedly involved the Reagan and Bush administrations.[8] This was confirmed by The Washington Times, “Mr. Spence arranged at least four midnight tours of the White House, including one June 29, 1989, on which he took with him a 15-year-old boy whom he falsely identified as his son.” [9] On February 27, 1999, the U.S. District Court of the District of Nebraska awarded Bonacci $1 million in compensatory damages and punitive damages, related to the Franklin Cover-Up. Omaha’s Franklin Community Federal Credit Union handler, Lawrence E. King Jr., was held responsible for the damages done to Bonacci, due to King's failure to respond to the lawsuit from jail.[10][11] Decamp was Bonacci’s defense attorney for these related scandals.
John DeCamp - Wikipedia (emphasis mine)

As the story goes, one copy of the unaired Discovery Channel documentary was not destroyed and was sent anonymously to the Senator. You can view it here:

Would not a theory that the populace has been intentionally dumbed down in itself be a conspiracy theory? Will it be shown to be true? Your guess is as good as mine. Like you I have observed that phenomena. Was it deliberate? I think there is sufficient reason to keep open that possibility.

Is not my theory that the effort to break down our cultural values and mores, to discard traditional values spanning centuries, to discredit religion, our history, our foundational principles, our monuments, our rituals such as the Pledge of Allegiance, the National Anthem, saluting the flag etc. is deliberate and intended to so weaken us as a nation that we can be controlled. . .is that not also a conspiracy theory? I know it is all happening to our serious detriment. Whether it is a conspiracy with an end motive in mind is anybody's guess at this time, but I believe there is sufficient evidence to keep an open mind about that.

I am not uneducated, and I was blessed to have been taught and encouraged to utilize critical thinking and analysis in all things of importance. I believe I am far too stubborn and jaded for anybody to have the ability to 'dumb me down', yet I leave open the possibility that some conspiracy theories are not conspiracy theories so much as they are insightful.

Last edited:
Like what?
There is a really neat thing called google. Type something like "conspiracy theories proven true" and see what you get.

Or, try "Operation Northwoods." Especially if you believe that "our government" would never plan to harm Americans.
I have no illusions about what the government is capable of doing. I looked up Operation Northwoods. It was something that was proposed but never carried out. I 'm asking what conspiracy theory has ever been proven to be true?

There are massive speculative conspiracy theories that President Trump and/or his campaign colluded with the Russians leading to his election as President #45. Will that be proven true? Your guess is as good as mine. It hasn't yet.

There are very large numbers of people promoting a conspiracy theory that an extraterrestrial spaceship crashed in the New Mexico desert northwest of Roswell NM. My own Congressman of some years ago did his own in depth research and investigation and was unable to find out the truth one way or the other. Will it ever be shown to be true? Or disproved? Your guess is as good as mine.

The conspiracy theories abound re the J.F. Kennedy assassination. I have seen one documentary on one of the science channels--Discovery or the Smithsonian or some such--that suggested a credible conclusion but it hasn't gained any traction. So will the conspiracies ever been shown to be true? Your guess is as good as mine.

Did we land on the moon? Some conspiracy theorists say we did not. Is there sufficient proof?

Did the Holocaust happen? Some conspiracy theorists say that it did not. Is there sufficient proof?

Did somebody do something to bring down the Twin Towers and Bldg 7 and it wasn't the terrorists at all? My goodness there have been conspiracy theories re that. Will they ever be shown to be true?

So off the top of my head, I can't really come up with a major conspiracy theory of any consequence that proved to be true beyond any doubt.

Off the top of my head -- Watergate?

As someone else posted, every investigation of anything begins as a "theory" until the ones can be confirmed, are confirmed. "Conspiracy theory" the idiom, and "conspiracy theory" the literal term, are two different things.

Given the placement of the OP in Announcements and Feedback I presumed it was asking for USMB's official position on what should be placed in which forum. I don't see that that got an answer though.

Unlike the 9/11 truth movement who do not point fingers but provide evidence that the official story is Swiss Cheese. They merely call for an investigation. It is interesting that the biggest crime on American soil has never been investigated.

Except that it was investigated and investigated quite well.

They have never poked holes in it in any way big or small.

Except that it was investigated and investigated quite well.

They have never poked holes in it in any way big or small.
They never investigated who did it.

Forum List

Back