What Computer Should My Hubby Buy?

What's the best computer?

• 17" iMac ($1200)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MacMini core duo + Dell 20" LCD ($1350)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dell Desktop + 20" LCD ($1100)

Votes: 14 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
dmp said:
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

You've gone to the Dark side....

:)

Congrats on your purchase! I'm eager to know how well it works out!

:)

- darin

I know it was my persuasive tech arguments! :laugh: :dance:

I had the Dell in my cart and was just about ready to order. I have 2 buddies at work who were all over me to get a Mac. I found a great deal on a nice LCD that made the Mac option more reasonable.

Thanks for your opinions anyway, the Apple lobbyists at work were just too good.

EarlSwagger said:
I had the Dell in my cart and was just about ready to order. I have 2 buddies at work who were all over me to get a Mac. I found a great deal on a nice LCD that made the Mac option more reasonable.

Thanks for your opinions anyway, the Apple lobbyists at work were just too good.
And way less mess on the desk!

EarlSwagger said:

I'm sure it will work just fine.
BTW...I was joking in the above post. :beer:

EarlSwagger said:

Hey Earl,

Welcome to the exclusive club of independent thinkers, I would imagine that by now you can't believe you could have wasted so much time on that archaic OS-8 wanna-be operating system...Windows. It doesn't take very long to adapt to the easier way of using a computer. I have been told by people that are experts on both systems that it typically takes half as many commands on a MAC to get the same thing done on a Windows machine, the same is true for what is going on inside the unit as well, much more efficient use of the operating system.

OS-10 has been a huge step in operating systems and is continuing to get even better. I haven't met anyone yet that has actually used it and regretted it. There are a lot of people out there that feel MACs aren't any good because they are too easy, too intuitive, too much fun to use. Many want to get a bunch of parts at Fryes and build there own and hate Apple because they don't allow them to use their OS, sorry... really, it would make a much better homebuilt. Most use the argument that everyone uses Windows as proof of it's superiority, refer to my opening statement. Even Rush has been an outspoken MAC fan for years.

My computer is a tool to get things done, especially work and I have been using Apple products for 20 years, never had a problem.....period. No virus, ever....and I don't have a firewall or any other virus protection, don't need it. I use Road Runner and my machines are always on, never seen any evidence that Steve Jobs is trying to sneak in and spy on me. MACs work, and have some actual design quality rather than a bunch of little colored lights that do nothing.

The crap about the prices is just that, Apple is really not much more expensive if you actually compare the quality of the units. You can always find a KIA or a Hundai that is cheaper than a Honda, so what, you get what you pay for.

I and the rest of the people in our company use these machines for a lot of illustrative work and photo manipulation using all of Adobe's software. I know this will bring out the old garbage about how MACs are only good for doing graphics, weak stereotype. There are plenty of people in many other fields using MACs. Virginia Tech. has just completed a MAC based supercomputer that makes over 12 trillion calculations per second,rated 7th on the fastest 500 supercomputer list.

Anyway, welcome, hope you and Mom enjoy it.

Mr. P said:
I agree, the savings on “Build-it-yourself” just don’t outweigh placing an order, and receiving a ready to go state of the art puter, in, what 14 days..
Dell is an excellent product for the price. IMO
better late than never...

but my 2cents on the matter. build. i built mine 3 years ago and have never had a prob (well it did go into the shop for 3 blown resisters...powersurge, if electricity wants it, it will get it). i built it with expansion in mind. and three years later. it still outpaces just about every thing i see in cusotmers houses that i go in. with the expection of a very few. it took about 2 hours to load drivers and put together. and has 2 monitors now!

EarlSwagger said:
I "switched" and went with a Mac. We'll see how it works out. I've been on Windows since 3.11 and something new might be fun. If it sucks, my wife can have it.

The new OS X is pretty nice. With the Unix underlay and the Dock it works much like XP and they talk nice-nice to each other.

Buying new software for the OS X was a pain, but it is very nice.

no1tovote4 said:
The new OS X is pretty nice. With the Unix underlay and the Dock it works much like XP and they talk nice-nice to each other.

Buying new software for the OS X was a pain, but it is very nice.

Best thing for software is to pick up a current Macworld magazine, the back of the mag is full of catalogs and companies that will get you almost anything overnight.

There has been a bit of success in the partitioning of the hard drive in the new intel MACs and putting OS-X in one spot and Windows in another. A number of people have been successful in booting up in Windows. Eventually you will be able to have the best of both worlds on one machine. My nephew has done it with his new iMac. That would seem to open up a lot of possibilities, I would hate to make my MAC more prone to virus crap but to those with a lot of Windows stuff it is a great solution.

One thing in iphoto that is really cool is an assortment of books that you can create with your own photos. They have quite a few templates so you can custom make a 8"x 10" photo book with hard cover and 10 2-sided full color pages for 30 dollars. They are very well done and you end up with a great format for a portfolio, shots of the grand kids, etc. They also are available in numerous sizes and soft covers for less money. If you have ilife the selection of formats is even larger.

Forum List

Back