What Computer Should My Hubby Buy?

What's the best computer?

• 17" iMac ($1200)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MacMini core duo + Dell 20" LCD ($1350)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dell Desktop + 20" LCD ($1100)

Votes: 14 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nienna

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2005
Ohio
He's driving me crazy! He keeps asking me what he should buy, and I know NOTHING about that kind of stuff. So I'm turning to all you fine, intelligent people. What kind of computer should he get?

mom4 said:
He's driving me crazy! He keeps asking me what he should buy, and I know NOTHING about that kind of stuff. So I'm turning to all you fine, intelligent people. What kind of computer should he get?
;) I like my new Mac!

mom4 said:
What kind was it? Did you vote?
I missed the poll! It's a G5. The HD is in the 20 some inch monitor. CD, DVD's, go right in slot. Movies are easy to watch, if I sit at desk, not from sofa. Mine is 'pre-Intel', which may or may not be good, **no viruses**, but the Intel makes faster, so I've been told. I have High speed connection, fast enough.

Much fewer pop ups, so far no viruses, biggest improvement for me over the PC. The only thing I do not like is the mouse, no right/left click, plus side of it though, 'squeez' to see all my windows.

Kathianne said:
I missed the poll! It's a G5. The HD is in the 20 some inch monitor. CD, DVD's, go right in slot. Movies are easy to watch, if I sit at desk, not from sofa. Mine is 'pre-Intel', which may or may not be good, **no viruses**, but the Intel makes faster, so I've been told. I have High speed connection, fast enough.

Much fewer pop ups, so far no viruses, biggest improvement for me over the PC. The only thing I do not like is the mouse, no right/left click, plus side of it though, 'squeez' to see all my windows.

Looked at the poll, like I said, my screen is 20 something, flat. I got the HP PSC 1610 All In One printer with it, plus anti-virus, MS Office for Teachers=$1450.

For a big company Dell really does treat their customers right. They don't give you a 'boot disk' with a ton of Dell-specific hardware, they give you the XP that goes with the computer. If you want to upgrade they allow you to do it yourself without killing the warranty. They are more cost effective than I can be with a small company (I know this because they killed my business).

I help a blind dude that gets all his computers from Dell, they are a very good company to go with when seeking a new computer (bastards!).

mom4 said:

Kind of depends on what he is goint to be using it for. I don't know much about the new macs. If I had to choose I'd pick the dell from the top list....however personally I'd just order all the parts from newegg.com and slap it together myself :D

theHawk said:
Kind of depends on what he is goint to be using it for. I don't know much about the new macs. If I had to choose I'd pick the dell from the top list....however personally I'd just order all the parts from newegg.com and slap it together myself :D
My last 2 pc's were from Dell, the second time, the service was 'less than acceptable', so I decided to try the Mac. I'll really know in a year or so.

theHawk said:

It will be mainly used for:
Web surfing
Email
Watching movies (dvd)
iTunes
Java programming with Eclipse

I don't really care about service, I've been in the "IT game" for 10 years - I have seen just about everything.

I guess I'm "intrigued" by the Apple stuff but not sure I want to pay the "Apple tax".

EarlSwagger said:
Web surfing
Email
Watching movies (dvd)
iTunes

I don't really care about service, I've been in the "IT game" for 10 years - I have seen just about everything.

I guess I'm "intrigued" by the Apple stuff but not sure I want to pay the "Apple tax".

Definately go Dell unless you need a configuration that they don't offer. It will cost you nearly the same for the components as it will to buy a comparable Dell. They're pretty much the industry standard for a reason. I have the capability to build a PC from scratch and I still went with Dell to avoid the headaches.

misterblu said:
Definately go Dell unless you need a configuration that they don't offer. It will cost you nearly the same for the components as it will to buy a comparable Dell. They're pretty much the industry standard for a reason. I have the capability to build a PC from scratch and I still went with Dell to avoid the headaches.
I agree, the savings on “Build-it-yourself” just don’t outweigh placing an order, and receiving a ready to go state of the art puter, in, what 14 days..
Dell is an excellent product for the price. IMO

Mr. P said:
I agree, the savings on “Build-it-yourself” just don’t outweigh placing an order, and receiving a ready to go state of the art puter, in, what 14 days..
Dell is an excellent product for the price. IMO

Agreed 100%.

I am on my third Dell desktop and also have a Dell laptop.

Have never had any problems with any of them. Only had to call service once due to a hi-speed connection problem. Was on the phone less than 3 minutes waiting; told the guy the problem - he sent me to the right place the first time to fix it, I made the correction and it worked fine. Total phone call was less than 4 minutes.

EarlSwagger said:
Web surfing
Email
Watching movies (dvd)
iTunes

I just came across this, just another opinion:

http://vodkapundit.com/archives/008650.php
Buyer's Remorse
Posted by Stephen Green · 1 March 2006 · Permalink

Apple hasn't even announced their serious Intel-based desktop machines yet, but already I can't wait to make the switch. If you want to know why I'm so anxious, here are my top ten reasons.

·No matter how many times I delete the Shortcuts folder called "Links" from Explorer, it keeps reappearing. Having a shortcuts folder called “Links” is like having a file folder called “Files.” And filled with paperwork from somebody else’s desk. Nevertheless, Microsoft thinks I need it. They're wrong.

·Windows Media Player – 'nuff said. But I'll say more, anyway. WMP is ugly, and uglier still when "skinned." It's also lousy for MP3 organizing, unless you're a masochist who already really, really digs using Windows Explorer.

·When I tell a folder how to behave, I want it to act that way every time I open it. I already have a child at home, and don't need one in my office, too.

·Norton Internet Security Suite is a fine product. However, it steals about 10% of my processor speed. It won’t be missed. Yes, there is word of three new security threats to MacOS. But none of them are actual viruses, one of them is a harmless demo, and the other two you'd have to be dumb as a water balloon full of ferrets to download.

·I'm running three, count'em three, anti-spyware programs. Yet bad stuff still gets through sometimes – and virtually all of my surfing is on "safe" corporate websites and blogs.

·The littlest things can drive you the nuts-est. I love the fact that Outlook lets me use Word to write email. Let's say I use Word to send an email. Let's also say that I'm not already writing an essay on Word. Next time I open Word to write something bigger than an email, it pops up in the same teensy window I use for email. So I've got to drag it over to the right side of the screen and manually re-expand it to the dimensions I like.

·I love the Windows taskbar. But why the hell can't I drag the buttons around, just like I can move the windows they represent? For someone who likes to keep his desktop organized the same way every time, that inability can be a real hassle when a single Explorer window closes after a crash or by user error.

·Wintel boxes are noisy sonsabitches.

·Moral inferiority won't be missed at all. Just like Microsoft, Apple manufactures items in China – creating the wealth that will someday topple the Communists government. But unlike Microsoft, Apple hasn't sold its soul to Beijing.

·"Which Windows?" isn't a question I want to have to ask again when buying my next computer. According to a Microsoft leak last week, there will be five (or six?) variants of Windows Vista just for the US market - and three for simple consumers like me to choose from. It's difficult enough to decide when and if to upgrade or change operating systems. It's worse still when you have to chose versions – especially since my current OS needs might change next year. MacOS comes in just one flavor: tasty Apple.

I'll be fair and admit there are a few things I'll miss. That Space Cadet pinball game? I’ve been playing that since Windows 95 came out. Of course, I had to buy the Plus Pack for an extra $40 to get all those nifty multimedia gizmos – something I won't have to do with Mac OS. Also missed will be the expectation that every cool new piece of software will be available for my machine. But some prices are worth paying.

I "switched" and went with a Mac. We'll see how it works out. I've been on Windows since 3.11 and something new might be fun. If it sucks, my wife can have it.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
EarlSwagger said:
I "switched" and went with a Mac. We'll see how it works out. I've been on Windows since 3.11 and something new might be fun. If it sucks, my wife can have it.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

You've gone to the Dark side....

:)

Congrats on your purchase! I'm eager to know how well it works out!

:)

- darin

EarlSwagger said:
Aren't you a SWEETIE?
:kiss2:

Back off, ladies, he's all mine!

Forum List

Back