What Character from Shakespeare is President Trump most like?

D

Dim Bulb

At dinner this evening we had a terrific back and forth about this subject. The Trump supporters among us, as you can imagine, selected heroic figures like Henry V ("we few, we happy few, we band of brothers, for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...").

The Trump haters went predictably with Richard III ("I am determined to prove a villain and hate the idle pleasures of these days") or even Iago (which was interesting to me)( "strangle her in her bed").

I however is one of those people in the middle, who has severe questions about the man's character but is hopeful that it will end well. I chose either Sir Jack Falstaff, a man given to gross exaggeration with an inability not to self aggrandize. Or Lear. A older man of wisdom caught up in madness who is helpless to avoid his own self destruction.

Who would you pick? (I am not so blind to think that this post will get many responses, if any, but hope springs eternal...)

If you don't know Shakespeare, you could pick a movie character. Colonel Kurtz from Apocalypse Now, for example, immediately comes to mind. Or maybe Will Ferrell in Anchorman. Or Forrest Gump. Or Jack Reacher.

I've read much of Shakespeare but it's been quite a while. A friend reminded me of Lago.

From a movie I would say Commodus from Gladiator. Except more towards the end of Commodus' life when old and fat. A man that is a boy that cannot grow up and wants his sister (or daughter) sexually, who is ruthless towards other people even his own father, has huge delusions of grandeur, and is desperate for 'the people' to love him. Which they never can because of who he is. Someone that has no business running the corner fruit stand but manipulates his way to power. A man that uses spectacle to placate the masses.

Edit: Yes, there is nothing new under the sun.

I've read much of Shakespeare but it's been quite a while. A friend reminded me of Lago.

From a movie I would say Commodus from Gladiator. Except more towards the end of Commodus' life when old and fat. A man that is a boy that cannot grow up and wants his sister (or daughter) sexually, who is ruthless towards other people even his own father, has huge delusions of grandeur, and is desperate for 'the people' to love him. Which they never can because of who he is. Someone that has no business running the corner fruit stand but manipulates his way to power. A man that uses spectacle to placate the masses.

Edit: Yes, there is nothing new under the sun.
As the President of Hollywood Films once said to a writer: "Don't be original."

At dinner this evening we had a terrific back and forth about this subject. The Trump supporters among us, as you can imagine, selected heroic figures like Henry V ("we few, we happy few, we band of brothers, for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...").

The Trump haters went predictably with Richard III ("I am determined to prove a villain and hate the idle pleasures of these days") or even Iago (which was interesting to me)( "strangle her in her bed").

I however is one of those people in the middle, who has severe questions about the man's character but is hopeful that it will end well. I chose either Sir Jack Falstaff, a man given to gross exaggeration with an inability not to self aggrandize. Or Lear. A older man of wisdom caught up in madness who is helpless to avoid his own self destruction.

Who would you pick? (I am not so blind to think that this post will get many responses, if any, but hope springs eternal...)

If you don't know Shakespeare, you could pick a movie character. Colonel Kurtz from Apocalypse Now, for example, immediately comes to mind. Or maybe Will Ferrell in Anchorman. Or Forrest Gump. Or Jack Reacher.
Trump is Prince Hamlet of Denmark.

Noah Cross from 'Chinatown'.

"You see, Mr. Gittes, most people never have to face the fact that at the right time and the right place, they're capable of ANYTHING."

Forum List

Back