What Changes Would Make Our Government Better?

Our government was intended to have limited authority, leaving the states to make decisions regarding most matters according to the needs of their population. The only way change can happen is for voters to make the decisions by ballot. What ideas do you have that could improve "business as usual?"

It would never do for me to be President because I would strip government right down to bare bones. Here are some starter ideas:

Term limits are not a bad idea - years of "familiarity" breeds contempt. New blood flowing in the halls of Congress might work out well.

Voters (employers) should set Congressional salaries - via special state ballots if necessary. Congress, as employees, should not be allowed to vote themselves raises (wouldn't WE like to set our own salaries!). If they don't perform the way constituents want them to ... no appreciable raises. Conversely, good performance on sound judgment does merit a raise.

No more pork barrel projects slipped into bills that don't even apply to whatever the project is; also would eliminate some of the wheeling and dealing that goes on to get a supporting vote on a particular bill. These projects should be a separate request from the governor of a state (upon voter approval) that would go to that state's US Senators and brought up on the floor for approval in a separate bill; it should also benefit the people of the state generally. (In other words, John Murtha would not be allowed to build himself an airport that generally benefits no one except himself.)

I have more thoughts on voters running Congress rather than Congress running the voters. What other ideas do you all have?

Complete and full transperency__ Greta gave a web site for someone who is watching what our congress people are spending on dinner. One went to Guan and spent $6,000 hosting a dinner. I am sorry I did not write down the website, but it lists all members of our congress and what they are spending our money on.

I think before they vote on any peice of legislation that will effect them or the entire country, they should submit to their constituents the pros and cons and ask their constituents how they should vote. The majority rules. This could be done from your P.C.

I also think that people should take a basic litmas test before they vote. For instance-
1. Do you believe in big government? You do know that the bigger the government the more taxes you will pay to support it.

I think that sooooooooo many people are so uneducated about the government and how it works that they cancel out educated votes. There are millions out there that don't know the 3 different branches of government and how they work with each other. Many can not even name the current Vice President of the U.S, yet these people vote.

Candidates should have to submit their positions on everything from taxes, foriegn policy, the economy on one simple flyer for all to read. Then let the EDUCATED voter vote for whom they choose best fits the voter's positions.

If the candidate gets in office and does not do or not vote the way the majority of his or her constituents vote, then fire them immediately. That should be allowed. When I don't do what my boss wants me to, I don't have a job. They work for us, not us for them.

" When the people fear their government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

We need to have the government fear us again.:clap2:

Yeah , right. Remember now they have all the big guns, bombs, money, etc....

How will we go about scaring them?

Independent is also a party. And Lieberman does not impress me.

Our forefathers who wrote the U.S. constitution were not referred to as Demcrats or Republicans--but AMERICANS.

The ONLY way we stop this madness in this country is to go back to that. The ONLY way we do that is to refer to ourselves as "independents" who are not OWNED by either party, & are very capable of going either way.

and vote for what candidate? Who is going to pay their 100 million to run?
Some states are not at all friendly with unafiliated candidates.

Who's going to pay their 100 million to run you ask? The republican & democrat party gets their money from "registered" republicans & democrats. If you're an independent you can donate to your preferred candidate---you are owned by NO-ONE.

Our forefathers who wrote the U.S. constitution were not referred to as Demcrats or Republicans--but AMERICANS.

The ONLY way we stop this madness in this country is to go back to that. The ONLY way we do that is to refer to ourselves as "independents" who are not OWNED by either party, & are very capable of going either way.

and vote for what candidate? Who is going to pay their 100 million to run?
Some states are not at all friendly with unafiliated candidates.

Who's going to pay their 100 million to run you ask? The republican & democrat party gets their money from "registered" republicans & democrats. If you're an independent you can donate to your preferred candidate---you are owned by NO-ONE.

Yes you can donate to any one, the key word here being none.
No party donations, etc.
A bit of a disadvantage.
And if a slightly plausable threat, having both parties have you investigated for underage hangnails.

You scare the hell out of politicians by your VOTE. But, if you're a registered republican or democrat--they count on your vote--before you vote.

Change your status to independent & notify your elected representative that you have done so--& at that point--it doesn't matter how many guns they have--:lol::lol:

JUST DO IT--Not only have you made yourself more open minded to the other side--but you have just voted for bi-partinship--when you are a registered independent.

You scare the hell out of politicians by your VOTE. But, if you're a registered republican or democrat--they count on your vote--before you vote.

Change your status to independent & notify your elected representative that you have done so--& at that point--it doesn't matter how many guns they have--:lol::lol:

JUST DO IT--Not only have you made yourself more open minded to the other side--but you have just voted for bi-partinship--when you are a registered independent.

If that is true then Reagan nor Bush 2 would have won. Since there is far more dems than republicans registered. Crossover votes.

Overthrowing it.

I believe Obama and "the people who he has surrounding" him are doing a damned fine job of that. He has no love at all for America.

You scare the shit out of them with your vote.

Overthrowing it.

I believe Obama and "the people who he has surrounding" him are doing a damned fine job of that. He has no love at all for America.

You scare the shit out of them with your vote.

I can hear them screaming in fear already. No wait that sounds like laughter???

If that is true then Reagan nor Bush 2 would have won. Since there is far more dems than republicans registered. Crossover votes.

Definitely Reagan attracted Reagan democrats. Bush--I am not to certain about that.

Reagan also worked with a hostile congress & was able to get things accomplished. The hate that we see today between democrats & republicans really didn't exist during Reagan. You know there was a little--"the dumb cowboy" comments but really nothing like today.

We have seen over the last 15 or so years that the polarization between parties has become so enormous that nothing gets done in government except alot of in fighting. But the non-sense wasteful government spending has never stopped.

Republicans vote against democrats & democrats vote against republicans--even if it's a good idea. It's become all party politics.

WE CAN STOP THIS: Simply by making a simple change. Change your party affiliation to independent--

Good point. I've often thought that all campaign contributions should be illegal and done away with. If our elections are so important to us, then the networks should "donate" an hour or so for debates on the issues - i.e., each debate would cover one issue only - 6 major issues, 6 debates. Even if the government paid for the debate time, I would have no problem with it. Besides, it would help eliminate all the nasty smear campaigns that just about everyone dislikes.

The less money our leaders receive, the less likely there will be promises and favors exchanged. More bribery eliminated.

I can hear them screaming in fear already. No wait that sounds like laughter???

Think about it - they do fear not being re-elected. They have become so accustomed to the power, the perks, the good life, that loss of that will personally affect them. They WANT to be re-elected ... over and over and over again. Good God - Sen. Byrd is damned near 100 years old and should have stepped down years ago. Strom Thurman was another Senator who stayed in office way too long.

How about having someone honest in Congress or maybe an honest President.

How about having a Congress and President that will do what the people of the country want.

How about having a Congress and President that will do what is best for Americans.

How about having a Congress and President that will kick out the illegals and bring back our jobs from other countries.

How about having a Congress and President that will not screw up the economy.

OH, never mind, we will just get the same old shit!!!!!

That congress be required to start each and every bill with the specific part of the Constitution that grants congress the power to enact said bill and for the POTUS to sign said.

I'm reading Ron Paul's End the Fed.

This is his suggestion for changing government for the better. It all makes sense, but at the same time, change is frightening.

Apparently, I don't feel we've "hit bottom" yet.:confused:

How about having someone honest in Congress or maybe an honest President.

How about having a Congress and President that will do what the people of the country want.

How about having a Congress and President that will do what is best for Americans.

How about having a Congress and President that will kick out the illegals and bring back our jobs from other countries.

How about having a Congress and President that will not screw up the economy.

OH, never mind, we will just get the same old shit!!!!!

We will just get the same old shit if we keep voting for it. If we wise up and vote as we should we will get less shit. Everybody in government needs to be put on a choke chain and jerked back good and hard. Elimination as much as possible of political funding/gifts/perks will go a long way. If there is no personal political gain to be had we will start getting people in office who truly care about doing what's best for the country. The more power the people have over the government, the better off we will be. Thomas Jefferson said it quite clearly.

Forum List

Back