What changed Obama's mind on the war?

pseudeponym

Rookie
Mar 21, 2012
It seemed that during the previous election, Obama was all about ending the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq quickly.

And very shortly after his inauguration, he said something like: Due to new intelligence, we have to increase troop levels in Afghanistan.

So what did they tell him? And why are we still at war? I have a few possible ideas, but it would be nice to get some more insight into this question.

1. The military situation in Afghanistan was just that bad, and we needed more troops to prevent total chaos there.

- Although I doubt that our government really cares about the Afghan people.

2. The military-industrial complex needs war to keep moving, and we're there to prevent total economic failure in America.

- Doesn't seem to justify a war.

3. Until there is a stable government in Afghanistan, it will be stupid to invest in an oil pipeline across their territory.

- Evil, but probable.

4. Obama's statements about ending the war were just to get elected, and increasing the troop levels was the most pragmatic thing to do after he was inaugurated.

- Weak, but probable.

5. In correlation with #3, we want Afghanistan and Iraq to sell their natural resources (oil, rare earth metals) on the open market to provide competition against current suppliers who don't like us (China, Middle East, Russia, etc.)

- War does not seem like the best way to accomplish this.

6. Something related to Project for a New American Century? (keeping America the dominant world power via the military)

- Doubtful, I don't think Obama agrees with those guys at all...

7. Making the world safe for democracy?

- Seemingly more noble than #6 but still wrong, IMO.

8. Something Else?

- Because nothing I listed seems like enough to justify a war, or good in any sort of moral sense.

still wonder why we're there. terrorists?

The country is a clusterfuck. But it's where the 9/11 attacks originated from. And the spooks are probably saying that there is more then enough reason to believe they will set up shop again once we leave. The Karzai government is weak..and the Taliban haven't a clue how to run anything..so they beat up on women and fuck goats. And if they aren't getting any income..who knows?

That and the Russians are building a pipeline..and the country is rich in resources.

Personally? I think we should go with the "Biden Plan" and get the heck out of there.

right. I saw an interview with some ex-CIA guy who said that if we weren't there, Taliban & co. wouldn't be concentrating their efforts against us.

which makes sense :)

Forum List

Back