What cell phone/driving laws should be enacted?

Which cell phone/driving laws should be enacted?

• Total voters
misterblu said:
I completely disagree. Whether I'm having a conversation with someone over the phone, or in the car, I'm looking at the road ahead. People that tend to look at the person they're talking to while driving scare me.

The main difference between the two 'types' of conversation is that the person in the car with you experiences the conditions around you. If there is some difficult driving task to perform (merging, bad road condions, etc) the person in the car is apt to stop or limit the conversation. The person on the other end of a cell phone call has no idea where you are and what you're doing and it causes a distraction.

How many people get in accidents because they decided to change the radio station at the wrong time? It's not a problem to change a radio station, but you wouldn't generally do it while driving around a decreasing radius turn either. It's a distraction.

It's not so much that you can't drive and talk on the cell phone at the same time, it's just that there are times when you shouldn't.

Since many people lack the good judgement to stay off the phone in these situations, it might be best to ban it altogether. If the phone conversation is that important, pull off onto the shoulder for a few minutes.

Oh, and I'm just a lurker... don't know why I decided to reply this time. :wave:

Go away, newbie.

:fu2: :puke: :finger:

:cheers2:

misterblu said:
I completely disagree. <b>Whether I'm having a conversation with someone over the phone, or in the car, I'm looking at the road ahead. People that tend to look at the person they're talking to while driving scare me.</b>

The main difference between the two 'types' of conversation is that the person in the car with you experiences the conditions around you. If there is some difficult driving task to perform (merging, bad road condions, etc) the person in the car is apt to stop or limit the conversation. The person on the other end of a cell phone call has no idea where you are and what you're doing and it causes a distraction.

How many people get in accidents because they decided to change the radio station at the wrong time? It's not a problem to change a radio station, but you wouldn't generally do it while driving around a decreasing radius turn either. It's a distraction.

It's not so much that you can't drive and talk on the cell phone at the same time, it's just that there are times when you shouldn't.

Since many people lack the good judgement to stay off the phone in these situations, it might be best to ban it altogether. If the phone conversation is that important, pull off onto the shoulder for a few minutes.

Oh, and I'm just a lurker... don't know why I decided to reply this time. :wave:

You should be looking at far more than just the road ahead of you. When driving, you have a bare minimum of 4 other people to be worried about.. The person in front of you, in back of you, and on either side of you.

If you're coming up on a difficult traffic situation, the phrase "Call ya back." followed by a "click" works wonders. I'm not sure what experience you're basing your post on, but I'm basing my post and my opinions on my personal experience.

People that look only at the road in front of them scare <i>me</i>. It means they have no concept of anything going on around them, and think they're the only person in the world.

Shattered said:
You should be looking at far more than just the road ahead of you. When driving, you have a bare minimum of 4 other people to be worried about.. The person in front of you, in back of you, and on either side of you.

If you're coming up on a difficult traffic situation, the phrase "Call ya back." followed by a "click" works wonders. I'm not sure what experience you're basing your post on, but I'm basing my post and my opinions on my personal experience.

People that look only at the road in front of them scare <i>me</i>. It means they have no concept of anything going on around them, and think they're the only person in the world.

Please...Trust me on this...Don't lecture that particular newbie on 'driving'. He was clearly implying:

"While having a conversation, I'm paying attention to what I'm doing".

:)

dmp said:
Please...Trust me on this...Don't lecture that particular newbie on 'driving'. He was clearly implying:

"While having a conversation, I'm paying attention to what I'm doing".

:)

Sorry.. My bad.. I just thought...well, nevermind.

<i>**smacks own fingers**</i>

dmp said:
Go away, newbie.

:fu2: :puke: :finger:

:cheers2:

:read: Join Date: 09-11-2004

I've been here a long time... I'm just not a post whore like some people.

:slap:

If anything, I was a post virgin before today. :halo:

:beer:

The ClayTaurus said:
Windows Media Player cannot connect to the server. The server name might not be correct, the server might not be available, or your proxy settings might not be correct.

your puter is jacked. lol :)

Shattered said:

Yep, I've used that phrase in the past. I'm actually guilty of talking on the phone while driving myself. Sometimes I don't even get as far as telling a person I have to go. I've been known to actually drop the phone in the middle of a conversation in a situation that warrants it. Of course, many times I don't even pick the phone up while I'm driving. So, you see, I'm basing my post on my opinions and on my personal experience as well (as opposed to ?)

Obviously, you can pick apart what I said and use it to suit your argument. I use my mirrors and I'm acutely aware of what's going on around me while I drive. Thanks for the psychoanalysis. I didn't know I was self centered. How much do I owe you? :D

The ClayTaurus said:
Look at my video instead.

Sure:

Unathorized Website Request (content_filter_denied)

Please contact your IMO, if you have a legitamate "Official Business" requirement to access. Your unit IMO must staff a Capability Request (CAPR) through the DOIM, Business Center for approval. If approved this site will be unblocked for internet access.
Please contact your IMO if you have a legitimate Official Business requirement to access: www.break.com

Please contact your IMO

misterblu said:
Yep, I've used that phrase in the past. I'm actually guilty of talking on the phone while driving myself. Sometimes I don't even get as far as telling a person I have to go. I've been known to actually drop the phone in the middle of a conversation in a situation that warrants it. Of course, many times I don't even pick the phone up while I'm driving. So, you see, I'm basing my post on my opinions and on my personal experience as well (as opposed to ?)

Obviously, you can pick apart what I said and use it to suit your argument. I use my mirrors and I'm acutely aware of what's going on around me while I drive. Thanks for the psychoanalysis. I didn't know I was self centered. How much do I owe you? :D

Hey, you're the one that said you look at the road in front of you.. Screen your own posts for mistakes if you don't want others to point them out for you. :)

Forum List

Back