What cell phone/driving laws should be enacted?

Which cell phone/driving laws should be enacted?

• Total voters
Freedom with Hands free method. It's safe without being overly intrusive. There have been a few times when I needed to make an emergency call from my phone while driving, and it's not always an option to pull over.

I vote for total freedom, with the condition that those who get into accidents while on the phone be subjected to additional points and fines. I wouldn't have a problem with the hands free rule, however.

If I have to choose one, I'll say hands-free method.. There are some people out there that can drive and talk at the same time, without holding up traffic, or weaving all over the place.. Of course, those are the people with enough common sense to not yap on the phone in bad weather, or difficult traffic situations...

dmp said:
Why do y'all think Hands-Free devices are somehow safer?

I bet y'all think 'speed kills' too! :(

I don't think that's it.. But you've got to admit, there ARE some people that have no business being behind the wheel, much less ON a phone while they're driving poorly to begin with.

I like Clay's idea that people be fined extra monies if they were found on a cell phone, and in an accident.

dmp said:

I thought you were about personal driving responsibility?

Shattered said:
I don't think that's it.. But you've got to admit, there ARE some people that have no business being behind the wheel, much less ON a phone while they're driving poorly to begin with.

I like Clay's idea that people be fined extra monies if they were found on a cell phone, and in an accident.

It's 'being on the phone' that is the problem....NOT holding something to one's ear.

:)

dmp said:
It's 'being on the phone' that is the problem....NOT holding something to one's ear.

But do you argue that no one can be on the phone and successfully drive? What about an empty road?

The ClayTaurus said:
I thought you were about personal driving responsibility?

I'm exactly for that...what I'm NOT for is 'feel good' legislation as a way to Tax motorists. Sorta like "red light cameras"...If any legislative body wants to make laws to increase safety - fine...go for it...Forbid ALL Phone-use while driving. Making people use 'hands free' devices isn't going to save anybody. Just out of spite, I think I'll start driving around, talking on the cell, while holding a deck of cards up to my ear.

dmp said:
I'm exactly for that...what I'm NOT for is 'feel good' legislation as a way to Tax motorists. Sorta like "red light cameras"...If any legislative body wants to make laws to increase safety - fine...go for it...Forbid ALL Phone-use while driving. Making people use 'hands free' devices isn't going to save anybody. Just out of spite, I think I'll start driving around, talking on the cell, while holding a deck of cards up to my ear.

So you just want all or nothing legislation then...

dmp said:

We weren't given enough choices, and were forced to work with what's posted.. No, I can't pick "everyone should be able to talk on the phone all they like", or whatever that choice was, because it's bogus. Too many people can't handle it.

The ClayTaurus said:
So you just want all or nothing legislation then...

I want honesty. It's not honesty to say 'We're going to make things safer! Hands-free ONLY!'. Don't make in-effective legislation then proclaim you've 'done something'.

dmp said:
I want honesty. It's not honesty to say 'We're going to make things safer! Hands-free ONLY!'. Don't make in-effective legislation then proclaim you've 'done something'.

Fair enough. What about freedom with fines for the idiots? I like stupidity tax wherever possible...

dmp said:

I think because it takes away the distraction of holding a phone etc. It makes sense to me that if a somewhat safer alternative like that is there why not use it. Personally I prefer that people don't talk at all while they are driving, but sometimes it's necessary, Id rather them have both hands on the wheel when talking.
But I still fail to see how something like that is even enforcable, unless your city driving and there are cops at every corner which in Manhattan there are.

my nextel 2-way walkie talkie feature doesn't have a way to have a hands-free set. Tim is really the only person I talk to on my cell, but I do call people if I need to.

I drive perfectly fine with a cell phone in my hand. I actually think I am a bit more cautious and made more aware of other cars because I make sure I pay more attention to who is around me. If I get into heavy traffic or I am merging, I will either hang up or put the person on hold (meaning put the phone down on the seat for a moment). I usually don't talk for more than a few minutes.

Tim has a cell for work, and most of the people he talks with during his shift are contractors who do not have his 2-way number and the shop dispatch. He is not about to just let the phone ring while he is driving because it may be an hour or so before he is able to stop, and he has pick-ups and drop-offs that are ordered mostly at the last minute by utility companies. If he were not able to talk and drive because of a law, you know how badly the company would do in this competitive market? There's no way they would get as much work done as they do now.

dmp said:

If holding hands-free conversations were a problem, then people with passengers in the car would have been crashing all over the place for the last 90 years.

gop_jeff said:
If holding hands-free conversations were a problem, then people with passengers in the car would have been crashing all over the place for the last 90 years.

Well many have been, those that take their eyes off the road to 'look at the passenger'. Scary to think of those that are turning around, in minivans especially to break up kids' fights. Now, throw a cell phone into those mixes. :shudder: I'm with darin on this one.

Forum List

Back