What causes waves?

shintao

Take Down ~ Tap Out
Aug 27, 2010
Sailors know this, but I have never given it a thought. I am still a little confused how wind can move the flat surface of water if it is traveling horizontal and perpendicular to one another.

Everyone has seen waves on a lake or oceans. But what are they? Waves are actually energy. Energy, not water, moves across the ocean's surface. Water particiles only travel in a small circle as a wave passes.

How are waves energy?

The best way to understand waves as energy is to think of a long rope laid on the ground. If you pick up one end and give it a good snap --there's a ripple effect all the way to the other end -- just like the waves on the ocean! That means that energy is applied at one end and it moves to the other end. The energy is released at the other end of the rope, just as the energy of waves is releases on shores.

What provides the energy?

In the case of ocean waves, wind provides the energy. Wind causes waves that travel in the ocean. The energy is released on shorelines.

Sailors know this, but I have never given it a thought. I am still a little confused how wind can move the flat surface of water if it is traveling horizontal and perpendicular to one another.

Everyone has seen waves on a lake or oceans. But what are they? Waves are actually energy. Energy, not water, moves across the ocean's surface. Water particiles only travel in a small circle as a wave passes.

How are waves energy?

The best way to understand waves as energy is to think of a long rope laid on the ground. If you pick up one end and give it a good snap --there's a ripple effect all the way to the other end -- just like the waves on the ocean! That means that energy is applied at one end and it moves to the other end. The energy is released at the other end of the rope, just as the energy of waves is releases on shores.

What provides the energy?

In the case of ocean waves, wind provides the energy. Wind causes waves that travel in the ocean. The energy is released on shorelines.

Wind causes waves. :lol: Now that's funny.

This OP brought to you by a bong pipe.

Waves are caused by friction of water meeting wind. They are also gravationally generated in the form of swells.

Wind is caused by the movement of air from higher to lower pressure. That is generated by temperature differences. Cooler air is denser and pushes toward the warmer and less dense air.

Stupid is the absence of intelligence. Intelligence is a constant in a growing population setting.

I'm hungry. Anybody got a cheeseburger?

I would be too embarrassed to return to this forum if I realized I asked such a simple question on a political website...I mean...there is the entire internet to look stuff up to inform yourself...

So difficult......................

Tides are the periodic rise and falling of large bodies of water. Winds and currents move the surface water causing waves. The gravitational attraction of the moon causes the oceans to bulge out in the direction of the moon. Another bulge occurs on the opposite side, since the Earth is also being pulled toward the moon (and away from the water on the far side). Ocean levels fluctuate daily as the sun, moon and earth interact. As the moon travels around the earth and as they, together, travel around the sun, the combined gravitational forces cause the world's oceans to rise and fall. Since the earth is rotating while this is happening, two tides occur each day.
The Moon And Tides

I'm an ex-science teacher.

I can explain global warming too. The answer takes quite a bit longer to explain. I really am not interested in doing so.

The moon, Mama Cass'es moon in a cannon ball state.

cannonball-300.jpg

But more like these two...

suelueanne%20copy.jpg

Not like this..

viola.jpg

Blues

Forum List

Back