What CAN'T the federal government require you to purchase?

Bern80

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2004
I still have yet to receive a reasonable answer to this in light of the passage of the health care bill.

One person (spiderman) tried to weasel it into be constitutional under the 16th ammendment 'rationalizing' that since government is granted the power to tax income they can make requirements of the peope as long as they levy an income tax penalty for non-compliance. That of course is rather ludicrous.

I still have yet to receive a reasonable answer to this in light of the passage of the health care bill.

One person (spiderman) tried to weasel it into be constitutional under the 16th ammendment 'rationalizing' that since government is granted the power to tax income they can make requirements of the peope as long as they levy an income tax penalty for non-compliance. That of course is rather ludicrous.

Stop whining and buy your god damn health insurance

crying+baby.jpg

11 State AGs so far are set to challenge. From the CSM:

The comments came after a Sunday night conference call of attorneys general from 11 states, in which most expressed support for legal action to block the law. In addition to Florida and South Carolina, the attorneys general backing legal action were from Alabama, Nebraska, Texas, Pennsylvania, Washington, Utah, North Dakota, and South Dakota. [Editor's note: The original paragraph has been changed to omit a state that will not participate in legal action.]

At the center of the controversy is the bill's inclusion of a federal mandate requiring all Americans to purchase health insurance or face penalties. Opponents say this measure stretches Congress’s constitutional power to “regulate commerce … among the several states” beyond any meaningful limits on federal authority. They say Congress is authorized to regulate behavior to protect public safety or welfare, but federal lawmakers overstep the constitutional limits of their power when they begin ordering Americans to purchase certain products.

“With this law, the federal government will force citizens to buy health insurance, claiming it has the authority to do so because of its power to regulate interstate commerce,” Cuccinelli said. “We contend that if a person decides not to buy health insurance, that person – by definition – is not engaging in commerce, and therefore, is not subject to a federal mandate.”

Attorneys general in 11 states poised to challenge healthcare bill / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

And the WSJ:

Writing at the Washington Post, Georgetown law prof Randy Barnett thinks that the Commerce Clause argument might give opponents of the bill the most ammunition. Writes Barnett:
While Congress has used its taxing power to fund Social Security and Medicare, never before has it used its commerce power to mandate that an individual person engage in an economic transaction with a private company. Regulating the auto industry or paying “cash for clunkers” is one thing; making everyone buy a Chevy is quite another. Even during World War II, the federal government did not mandate that individual citizens purchase war bonds.

“With this law, the federal government will force citizens to buy health insurance, claiming it has the authority to do so because of its power to regulate interstate commerce,” Cuccinelli said.

Don't these fucking morons realize that the federal government already requires citizens purchase medicare? You don't think the Justices who hear this crap are going to get a laugh when they ask the question "Where the fuck was your whining in 1965 when Medicare got passed" ?

“With this law, the federal government will force citizens to buy health insurance, claiming it has the authority to do so because of its power to regulate interstate commerce,” Cuccinelli said.

Don't these fucking morons realize that the federal government already requires citizens purchase medicare? You don't think the Justices who hear this crap are going to get a laugh when they ask the question "Where the fuck was your whining in 1965 when Medicare got passed" ?

Are people compelled to purchase Medicaire or is it an option that most people use?

lots of civil suits and state initiated suits will be coming against the federal government over that specific part of the health care bill. That part of the bill is unconstitutional.

That part of the bill is unconstitutional.

No it isn't. Its an income tax levied under authority of the 16th amendment.

Thats a good stretch...lets say I buy your argument.

All taxes shall be uniform is also in the constitution, so the PROGRESSIVE income tax structure is unconstitutional.

Enjoy the continuing erosion of your liberty, i know you will remain blissfully unaware of the unintended consequences.

Medicare is a govt program. They cannot force anyone to buy PRIVATE insurance. Hence - public option will be back on the floor in short order.

Nope they will just put everyone on medicare

Whats next, lets see, put everyone on medicare/medicade to get them covered, great intention. Then legislate that pharmacies fill these people's perscriptions at a loss to prevent this from happening Local News | Walgreens: no new Medicaid patients as of April 16 | Seattle Times Newspaper We would have to pass that legislation because everyone deserves a home, i mean perscription drugs. Then when the pharmacies go out of business due to government regulations causing massive profit loss they will be "too big to fail" too and the government will have to "bail them out and take over".

I know i know it sounds crazy, its not like we've seen that happen before.

:eusa_whistle:

If the government is going to force us all to buy insurance I want the government tio force all the fat fucks out there to join a gym and prove to an IRS agent that they work out for an hour a day or else be taxed.

I want the fucking government to force all those fat fucks who eat Twinkies, Oreos, fast food etc to prove they do not eat any of that shit or else be taxed.

If I'm subsidizing you health care I want my money's worth.

Are people compelled to purchase Medicaire or is it an option that most people use?

They are required to purchase it if they work....it is mandatory and the taxes are taken out for such, whether they agree to it or not.

Are you implying this is NOT the case?

Medicare is a govt program. They cannot force anyone to buy PRIVATE insurance. Hence - public option will be back on the floor in short order.

Nope they will just put everyone on medicare

Whats next, lets see, put everyone on medicare/medicade to get them covered, great intention. Then legislate that pharmacies fill these people's perscriptions at a loss to prevent this from happening Local News | Walgreens: no new Medicaid patients as of April 16 | Seattle Times Newspaper We would have to pass that legislation because everyone deserves a home, i mean perscription drugs. Then when the pharmacies go out of business due to government regulations causing massive profit loss they will be "too big to fail" too and the government will have to "bail them out and take over".

I know i know it sounds crazy, its not like we've seen that happen before.

:eusa_whistle:

PHARMA gouges Americans, and makes them pay for ALL of their R & D and advertising costs while not charging all of the EU and canada, the same high prices they charge us....they should prorate their R and d costs and spread them out throughout the world instead of charging us for ALL OF THEM.

Also, Pharma is one of the MOST PROFITABLE industries out there, and the most profitable in the medicare industry.....they can afford to give bulk discount prices for medicare imo....

unless of course you believe that they can gouge us all they want just because they are a private company and you are willing to go bankrupt paying for all the meds for the medicare recipients or are willing to pay much more in taxes to pay for the medicare pills? ;)

They are required to purchase it if they work....it is mandatory and the taxes are taken out for such, whether they agree to it or not.

They are not purchasing medicare.

They are paying a tax to fund a government program

As a matter of fact, unless you can afford to pay for your medical care out-of-pocket,you are forced to move from private insurance to Medicare when you become eligible.

On the other hand, saying that this makes it okay to force people to buy private insurance is like saying that paying into Social Security makes it okay for the government to force people to purchase IRAs.

They deduct Medicare from the friggin check they send you.
The check ought to read "Bank of China" on it.
Name one person that does not have his Medicare premium deducted from his check BEFORE they get it.

If the government is going to force us all to buy insurance I want the government tio force all the fat fucks out there to join a gym and prove to an IRS agent that they work out for an hour a day or else be taxed.

I want the fucking government to force all those fat fucks who eat Twinkies, Oreos, fast food etc to prove they do not eat any of that shit or else be taxed.

Dear God, don't give them any ideas.

Dear God, don't give them any ideas.

But that is the idea, and has been for decades.

so, is that what you see as the difference?

would it have been better for the gvt to make this a mandatory gvt handled plan, and just taxed us all for it?

btw, i am AGAINST the mandate but i don't see it as illegal or something they can not necessarily do....

so, is that what you see as the difference?

would it have been better for the gvt to make this a mandatory gvt handled plan, and just taxed us all for it?

btw, i am AGAINST the mandate but i don't see it as illegal or something they can not necessarily do....

The government has never to my knowledge required under threat of taxes, property confiscation and imprisonment citizens to purchase a product and they never should be able to.

If the government can force you to buy an insurance policy then it can force you to buy anything.

And yes if this was a government program that everyone was taxed to fund, it would be within the government power to do. Not that I want that but it would at least be completely legal.

Forum List

Back